Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2020, 12:54 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Carefree canopy

I have a 2018 Mercedes Winnebago Era 70A with a Carefree canopy that retracts automatically when the wind is too high. A recent high gust totaled the complete system before the canopy was able to retract fully. I was never happy with the system as it was too sensitive - I’d like to replace it with a conventional canopy - with arms secured to the side of the van. Has anyone had this issue and replaced as discussed?
Regards Steve
Steve Lesniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 01:02 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lesniak View Post
I have a 2018 Mercedes Winnebago Era 70A with a Carefree canopy that retracts automatically when the wind is too high. A recent high gust totaled the complete system before the canopy was able to retract fully. I was never happy with the system as it was too sensitive - I’d like to replace it with a conventional canopy - with arms secured to the side of the van. Has anyone had this issue and replaced as discussed?
Regards Steve
Sorry to hear of your problem. Armless awnings always seemed like a bad idea to me. The change is totally dooable. Member abn1SG is selling his 2015 Era 70A and from the pic, that year has mounts on the side for the awning.

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...tml#post120432
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:44 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lesniak View Post
Regards Steve
The same gust will come along and cause even more damage. The arms ‘secured’ to the sheet metal is not the solution.
black88mx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 01:06 AM   #4
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by black88mx6 View Post
The same gust will come along and cause even more damage. The arms ‘secured’ to the sheet metal is not the solution.
Thank you for your reply.
Steve Lesniak is offline   Reply With Quote