Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2017, 09:07 PM   #521
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
"Top," "leading," and "#1" are in the eyes of the beholder. They never claimed "top selling".
From their FB Page: "The #1 selling class B motorhome"
From their Website: "Since 1990, Roadtrek has been recognized as the #1 bestselling Class B motorhome,"

It really doesn't effect me either way (any more than how many people show up at somebody's inauguration), but it sure does make an impression on what one thinks of a person or company that uses self serving "untruths"..
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:21 PM   #522
Platinum Member

Meh. Show me the receipts and then I'll be impressed.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:35 PM   #523
Platinum Member

January 2017 Class B Sales stats have been posted on RV Business: SSI: Class B Sales Post 13.6% Gain for January | RV Business

Sales were up 13.6% compared to last January.

Quote:
Class B motorhome sales rose 13.6% in January, according to the latest report from Statistical Surveys Inc. (SSI).
Here's the Class B market share breakdown:

November 2016
Winnebago Industries Inc. 33.9% market share.
Erwin Hymer Group North America 28.7% market share.
Thor Industries Inc. 20% market share.
Pleasure-Way 10.2%

December 2016
Winnebago Industries Inc. 33.4% market share.
Erwin Hymer Group North America 28.9% market share.
Thor Industries Inc. 20.1% market share.
Pleasure-Way 10.1%

January 2017
Erwin Hymer Group North America 34.4% market share.
Winnebago Industries Inc. 25.8% market share.
Thor Industries Inc. 20.6% market share.
Pleasure-Way 13.9%

Wow - Big drop on the Winnebago numbers and a big gain by Erwin Hymer Group North America!

Nice gain for Pleasure-Way also
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:55 AM   #524
Platinum Member

The difference between the bottom line models based on Fiat from Winnabego and Hymer/Roadtrek is $20K – 30%. Love the competition, in time B-Class prices could by at parity with EU.

George.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:05 AM   #525
BBQ
Platinum Member

Wow Hymer came in FIRST PLACE !
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:11 AM   #526
Platinum Member

The Hymer Winnebago swap is so close to inverted from the previous months, it makes you wonder about a typo. Stunning to be sure.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 04:55 PM   #527
Platinum Member

In an RV Business interview Jim Hammill said Erwin Hymer Group would be producing 3500 units in North America for 2017. If true that would be a tripling of their 2016 sales and give EHG more than 50% of the Class B market.

That's a big investment by EHG in the North American market. It will be interesting to see how it pans out...
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:00 PM   #528
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
In an RV Business interview Jim Hammill said Erwin Hymer Group would be producing 3500 units in North America for 2017. If true that would be a tripling of their 2016 sales and give EHG more than 50% of the Class B market.

That's a big investment by EHG in the North American market. It will be interesting to see how it pans out...
Was it clear that it was 3500 vans or might it have included the travel trailers they will be producing?
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:02 PM   #529
Platinum Member

They are NOT going to be building 3500 vans a year. They don't have that kind of capacity. He's probably including the number of trailers they are planning. That would probably be achievable.

For the January numbers, I'm thinking this reflects the private label junk they are putting out for camping world. Remember, since the B market is so small, a few dozen more units shipped can make a huge difference in the numbers. Time will tell if this is just inventory building, or a new steady rise in production capacity (and of course, customers willing to buy!).
Old 03-12-2017, 05:13 PM   #530
Platinum Member

Marko,

It appears the SSI monthly sales figures are for the current month only, however the monthly market share statistics are cumulative year to date. Does that fit your understanding? For example in October SSI reported:
Class B motorhome sales registrations tumbled in October, down 16%, while the segment showed a 10.4% gain year-to-date. According to the latest report from Statistical Surveys Inc. (SSI), Winnebago Industries Inc. was the top-selling manufacturer for the 10 months with a 34.7% share of the Class B market, followed by Erwin Hymer Group North America (28.7%), Thor Industries Inc. (19.7%) and Pleasure-Way Industries Ltd. (9.8%).
That would explain why market share stats can shift dramatically each January. Erwin Hymer Group may well have been outselling Winnebago, as they claimed, in the last quarter of 2016 but it resulted in only a downward drift of Winnebago's total year-to-date numbers.

But when the cumulative totals reset in January we suddenly see the effects of EHG's recent sales growth. In a more stable market the shift might be less noticeable. However when manufacturers such as Pleasureway or EGH expand significantly mid-year the January cumulative reset becomes dramatic.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:14 PM   #531

I don't understand. With all the problems Roadtrek are having with their new technology who would possibly want to buy one? Just go on to the owner group and it is story after story about problems, and it is not improving.
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:15 PM   #532
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Was it clear that it was 3500 vans or might it have included the travel trailers they will be producing?
Hammill's quote was in an RV Business article about the expanding B Class market. But of course that doesn't guarantee it's accurate...
Old 03-12-2017, 06:20 PM   #533
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
I don't understand. With all the problems Roadtrek are having with their new technology who would possibly want to buy one? Just go on to the owner group and it is story after story about problems, and it is not improving.
Using problem reports from a small group of owners may not translate into a high percentage of problems across all owners. People post to get info on their problems but people rarely post to say they have no problems. Only Roadtrek knows the actual problem reports per vehicle sold, it could be smaller than it appears or it could be even larger than it appears, no way to really know...

In the end, they are selling more vans now than they were a year ago...
Old 03-12-2017, 06:29 PM   #534
Platinum Member

Here us a recipe for the people who emphatically poo pooed the idea that Erwin Hymer Group would overtake Winnebago in Class B sales (don't need to call out anyone specific, you know who you are)...

https://www.recipelion.com/Misc-Meats/Crow-Pie
Old 03-12-2017, 06:37 PM   #535

Quote:
Using problem reports from a small group of owners may not translate into a high percentage of problems across all owners. People post to get info on their problems but people rarely post to say they have no problems. Only Roadtrek knows the actual problem reports per vehicle sold, it could be smaller than it appears or it could be even larger than it appears, no way to really know...

In the end, they are selling more vans now than they were a year ago...
I don't disagree with what you have said. I can only speak as someone that is looking to buy a Class B right now. I love the RT technology (my background is Industrial Automation), and I love the Agile... but I just could not go ahead and buy one right now with all the problems I see on the owner's pages. Obviously for lots of others this isn't a problem.
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:30 PM   #536
Platinum Member

Quote:
Here us a recipe for the people who emphatically poo pooed the idea that Erwin Hymer Group would overtake Winnebago in Class B sales (don't need to call out anyone specific, you know who you are)...

https://www.recipelion.com/Misc-Meats/Crow-Pie
LOL. One month doesn't make a turn-around.

But HYMER is making the changes, not Roadtrek. If they have success and improve their market share, that is great. But it won't be because Roadtrek came up with some secret sauce.

By having more product at lower price points, they can surely change their position. It ain't rocket science. It would be interesting to see the figures on how many they are selling with all the high-tech gizmos, and how many are going with few features. I suspect the Aktiv sales are brisk as there is a lot of interest in a simple, smaller van.

The Simplicity line, and this new Sunlight stuff for Camping World is a troubling trend. They are extremely cheaply made and could hurt their brands in the long run. I don't see a $60k van made out of MDF to be a good value.

But facts are facts. The market for $150k+ vans is a small one. If they are moving down market to capture more sales, it's probably a smart move.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:56 PM   #537
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I don't see a $60k van made out of MDF to be a good value.
You don't see a $60k van built with MDF as a good value. Can't argue with that. But clearly they're not trying to sell that coach to you or for that matter, to me. I think what they are betting on is that there is a significant untapped market for buyers that will pop for a "Walmart" priced Promaster platform RV in which you can snack, poop and pee and who will be relatively indifferent to the quality of the coach as long as it gets the wife and brats down the road to the next Walmart, KOA or Flying J.

Frankly, I'm delighted to see it happen because I'm in dire need of someone to sneer at. I'm barely recovered from the painfull darts winged at us by Davydd for buying dumbed down Roadtreks and this race to the bottom will now give me the opportunity to express my utter disdain for the hoi polloi potentially swarming the RV ranks.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:15 PM   #538
Platinum Member

I would remind everyone of the perpetual question of why Class B's are so expensive. Lots of reasons like hard to fit in odd shapes, higher quality materials, etc, all valid. Also recall the desires for lower priced units.

The low end stuff now coming out appears to be built like a trailer or low price class C. No big surprise there as they want low prices to open markets. The Promasters that requires no roof extensions and is pretty square gives builders a big break.

To expect a lowest price entry level class b to somehow be better quality and materials than a comparable class c is likely dreaming. To compare it to class b's that cost 30-200% more is also unreasonable IMO.

Different market, different pricing, different value.

There is really no comparison between an entry level B and an Advanced unit that cost 4 times as much, or many other B's. Just like you would not compare a low end class A to a million dollar Tiffen.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:21 PM   #539
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
LOL. One month doesn't make a turn-around.

But HYMER is making the changes, not Roadtrek. If they have success and improve their market share, that is great. But it won't be because Roadtrek came up with some secret sauce.

By having more product at lower price points, they can surely change their position. It ain't rocket science. It would be interesting to see the figures on how many they are selling with all the high-tech gizmos, and how many are going with few features. I suspect the Aktiv sales are brisk as there is a lot of interest in a simple, smaller van.

The Simplicity line, and this new Sunlight stuff for Camping World is a troubling trend. They are extremely cheaply made and could hurt their brands in the long run. I don't see a $60k van made out of MDF to be a good value.

But facts are facts. The market for $150k+ vans is a small one. If they are moving down market to capture more sales, it's probably a smart move.
I agree with everything you say but I did not mention a turn-around and as you said, only time will tell if they have a decent long term growth strategy...

I don't focus much on Class B stuff anymore, we will be selling our house and our Roadtrek and traveling full time in a new vehicle we are having built that is a little longer at 27 ft and a little taller at 12ft and a little wider at 8 ft and with a lot more clearance and big tires and 4WD and much more rugged. 132 gal of fresh water, cassette toilet, 26 gal grey tank, Webasto Dual Top heat and hot water, 200 gal of diesel, 6.7 diesel, 800 watts solar, Mastervolt electrical system with 720 AH lithium, Onan QD 6000, and a large rear storage compartment for all our stuff. A totally rediculous purchase but we are doing it anyway. Off to out of the way places in Alaska, Canada, and the west before we get too old to do it and until we get too old to do it...

Clearly not a Class B so I will not discuss it any more here and possibly receive the admonishments of those who attempt to keep this forum pure and unsullied with talk of other types of RVs...
Old 03-12-2017, 09:32 PM   #540
Platinum Member

Quote:
I agree with everything you say but I did not mention a turn-around and as you said, only time will tell if they have a decent long term growth strategy...

I don't focus much on Class B stuff anymore, we will be selling our house and our Roadtrek and traveling full time in a new vehicle we are having built that is a little longer at 27 ft and a little taller at 12ft and a little wider at 8 ft and with a lot more clearance and big tires and 4WD and much more rugged. 132 gal of fresh water, cassette toilet, 26 gal grey tank, Webasto Dual Top heat and hot water, 200 gal of diesel, 6.7 diesel, 800 watts solar, Mastervolt electrical system with 720 AH lithium, Onan QD 6000, and a large rear storage compartment for all our stuff. A totally rediculous purchase but we are doing it anyway. Off to out of the way places in Alaska, Canada, and the west before we get too old to do it and until we get too old to do it...

Clearly not a Class B so I will not discuss it any more here and possibly receive the admonishments of those who attempt to keep this forum pure and unsullied with talk of other types of RVs...
Wow, this is a formidable ride! What platform does this ride on?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote