Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2013, 09:40 AM   #41
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay
Default Re: Class B Market Share, Sales and Shipments

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
I've wonder about the Thor numbers also. It is possible but I'd like to know for sure that only Type B or Class B units are included in the stats. I sent an email to SSI and will post what I find out.

I'm also curious to know if Roadtrek's N6-Active / NAV-6 is included in the stats as it lacks a toilet from what I've read. Most definitions of a Class B van state that Class B's have a bathroom.
Statistical Survey's have confirmed to me that they only include the Airstream Class B units in Thor's totals for the Class B monthly sales report.
If that's what the surveys say then so be it. I'd sure like to know where they all are, cuz they ain't on the road. We see bookoo Roadtreks out there, and lately more & more ERAs of the 2012 on up variety

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:00 PM   #42
Platinum Member

I'm reading on other forums like RV.net and other places about a good number of people taking delivery on ERAs. So, Winnebago is doing something right. I -think- the reason Winnebago is falling behind is because they were backordered for seven months back in April, and likely will be until September when Mercedes does a production run and the 2014 vans start arriving on US shores.

Of course, the 2014 vans are a redesign (not as big as from the T1N -> NCV3, but they do have some cosmetic changes), so that is going to throw a wrench into upfitting plans as well.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:04 PM   #43
Platinum Member

I know the week that we took delivery of our ERA up in Forest City in mid April, our dealer had sold one the day before, sold one the day after, and the very last '13 70A he had early the following week. Sold their last '13 70X the week after that.
Took about 3 weeks before he started getting '14's on '13 chassis in. Then they've been pretty readily available since then.....

Old 08-19-2013, 01:34 AM   #44
Platinum Member

June 2013 Class B Sales stats have been posted on RV Business: http://www.rvbusiness.com/2013/08/ssi-c ... -for-june/

Quote:
Year-over-year Class B motorhome sales rose 15.9% in June while gaining 18.2% for the first six months, according to the latest report from Statistical Surveys Inc.

Through June, Roadtrek Motorhomes Inc. was No. 1 in Class B sales, owning a 37.2% market share, followed by Thor Industries Inc. with a 22.7% share. Pleasure-Way Industries Ltd. (19.7%) ranked third, and Winnebago Industries Inc. was No. 4 (14.9%).
April 2013 breakdown:
Roadtrek Motorhomes Inc. 34.6% market share.
Thor Industries Inc. 22.7% market share.
Pleasure-Way Industries Ltd. 19.6% market share.
Winnebago Industries Inc. 19% market share.

May 2013 breakdown:
Roadtrek Motorhomes Inc. 35.7% market share.
Thor Industries Inc. 22.2% market share.
Pleasure-Way Industries Ltd. 20.7% market share.
Winnebago Industries Inc. 17.9% market share.

June 2013 breakdown:
Roadtrek Motorhomes Inc. 37.2% market share.
Pleasure-Way Industries Ltd. 19.7% market share.
Winnebago Industries Inc. 14.9% market share.

Roadtrek is steadily reclaiming market share. Thor and Pleasure-Way remain steady and Winnebago's share continues to slip away.

Class B Shipments through June were flat http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...tart=22#p15845 so hopefully there is enough inventory on dealer lots to keep the upward sales trend momentum going.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #45
Platinum Member

The only explanation for Thor Industries is to ask what B+es do they have they are sneaking in there? I simply can't believe they are selling that many Airstream Interstates.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #46
Platinum Member

I think part of the reason we doubt it is because we don't see many Airstream Interstates in our travels. But, realize that this is a fairly recent development; maybe two years in the making. If it continues we'll see more of them.

Quote:
JACKSON CENTER, Ohio -- Airstream announced today that for the second year in a row, the brand’s Airstream Interstate was named the number one selling Class B motorhome model in the U.S., according to Statistical Surveys Inc.

In 2012, Airstream grew its market share in the touring coach segment by 20 percent and increased unit sales by 58 percent, according to the company.

“We are pleased but not surprised that the Interstate has held the top spot for two years running,” said Airstream CEO and President Bob Wheeler. “Our focus on delivering a premium experience for our luxury buyer has been very effective, and our strong dealer network has been the key to our success in the marketplace.”

The Interstate, built on the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter chassis, fuses the legendary quality and design of Airstream with Mercedes-Benz’s comfort, control, and luxury, says the company.

Airstream had a record-setting 2012, marking it the best-selling year in the company’s 82-year history.
I see lots of Roadtrek and Pleasure-Way Sprinters out there but they might be 2008, 2009, 2010 or newer model years. Airstreams surge in market share started in 2011.

I'll exactly quote a portion of SSI's reply to my inquiry:

Quote:
we only count Airstreams in the class B report for Thor
This 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 EXT review http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/19/2013 ... xt-review/ was published on Autoblog today.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #47
Platinum Member

I don't know where they are. The 200 or so Airstream Westfalia owners generate more online discussion traffic across the various boards than Interstate owners.

How do we bring them out? Say something to get their ire up?
Old 08-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #48
Platinum Member

No matter what is said about the numbers, I'm with David on this one. Where the heck are they? We've seen Sportsmobiles on every trip we've been on, and they are few and far between.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #49
Gold Member

Well, there was an Interstate parked on the edge of an apartment/condo complex right by my house all last winter and part of the summer...it's gone now, but it might be back...if it comes back I'll leave the owners a note or something to see if I can make contact! It's one of the only ones I've seen!
teachergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:10 PM   #50
Platinum Member

Note: June shipment number were later revised upward by RVIA. http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...p=15845#p15845
They originally reported 173 Class B unit shipments for June but the new June number is 220 Class B unit shipments. Looks like (maybe) one of the top 3 Class B manufacturer numbers didn't make it into the original June report.

Please ignore all posts that refer to a 16.8% decrease in shipments in June. It was actually a 5.8% increase using the revised numbers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 2013 Class B shipments have been published on RVIA's site. 6.2% drop compared to last July and a 53 units less than the revised June numbers.

I'm hoping for a July revision upward - otherwise the year for Class B's is trending flat.

Class A's are up 33.3% year to date.
Class C's are up an incredible 42.5% year to date.
Class B's are up 2.6% year to date.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg July 2013 Class B Shipments.JPG (73.4 KB, 839 views)
Old 08-30-2013, 03:32 AM   #51
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

What would those numbers look like without Winnebago and Thor in the mix for class Bs shipped?
Negative growth?
Maybe that's the norm for class B motorhomes now?
Old 08-30-2013, 08:47 AM   #52
Platinum Member

I read that Dodge was starting making ProMasters this month, but so far, I've yet to hear about any in existence. Once they start actually shipping, it will be a few months after that before we see upfits, be it Winnebago or Sportsmobile.

I will be really interested in sales results once these hit showroom floors, although it may not make much of a dent as winter is coming. Next year will also be a big one with the 2015 Transit and upfitted class "B"s from that.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #53
Platinum Member

I don't see much change in Bs because of the ProMaster and Transit. They aren't going to reduce the relative high prices and may wipe out the current Ford and Chevy Bs that are and would be cheaper. America's concept of RVs is bigger is better and Baby Boomers seem to be buying them as a second home to get somewhere, not for touring so much. They cost too much for general camping for working stiffs when a two week vacation or extended weekends when it is all the use you get. As much as people might wish, they are a lousy choice for families for both comfort and cost. The economy is not getting better for the middle class and those who can afford RVs are going to optimize comfort, size and convenience stopped not moving.

Enjoy your eccentric uniqueness and don't fret about it.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #54
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
America's concept of RVs is bigger is better and Baby Boomers seem to be buying them as a second home to get somewhere, not for touring so much.
I wonder how many Baby Boomers are dropping the conventional "bricks and sticks" home base for something more mobile, but with most of the amenities of a fixed abode? I see more and more big class A/C motorhomes with folks driving them that look like they're full timers. We've met at least one couple who park theirs on a concrete pad somewhere in Tennessee, and just unplug to travel when they want to. They're the ones who pull the Roadtrek RS A as a toad - I posted pics on here somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
They cost too much for general camping for working stiffs when a two week vacation or extended weekends when it is all the use you get. As much as people might wish, they are a lousy choice for families for both comfort and cost. The economy is not getting better for the middle class and those who can afford RVs are going to optimize comfort, size and convenience stopped not moving.

Enjoy your eccentric uniqueness and don't fret about it.
By "They", if you mean motorhomes in general, I would agree that the cost (means) for a motorhome may not justify the end for a young middle class working family, but a towable probably still does at the much lower price point. They're still a pretty good choice for a small family for a way to get away, and see the world from the window of the tow vehicle, and then provide reasonable comfort at the destination for a reasonable price. Cheaper than a hotel/motel, often with similar amenities, and you only bring your own "bugs" with you.
The motorhome becomes a better choice when the traveler is more affluent and presumably more free of encumbrances like schedules, as in retired, and/or just more financially secure, which allows the advantages of the touring/mobility capabilities of a motorhome to be exploited, along with the stationary comforts of the larger makes/models.

As far as the Promaster and Transit being game changers, and after some further thought, I would also agree that it depends on whether the builders can exploit the expected lower chassis prices. They could just as easily mess it up, and we've all seen that result before. Just too many variables still out there to make a reasonable guess at how that will all play out.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:54 AM   #55
Platinum Member

You might be right. The litmus test will be Winnebago's offering. It might be that 2008 destroyed the "B" as a replacement for a minivan or other soccer mom vehicle. What survived the RV crash are companies which make money on price, not volume. It might be that the "B" market might stay that way because towables are relatively inexpensive. I am hoping that Dodge has a price point separate enough from the Sprinters so upfitters are able to make a decent van in the $60-70k range (which used would be fairly affordable as time goes on in the used market.) Time will tell. MSRP is also a different price than what the actual price on the street, so the difference could be $5000 between Sprinters and ProMasters, or it could be $25,000.

The main thing I can think of which makes "B"s attractive over other RV types (other than their innate agility which is a given) is the MPG. With Syria appearing to spark another theater of conflict, which will make a good excuse for speculators to drive oil prices up, a "B" with its high-teens to low 20s MPG number looks very good compared to 6-10 MPG of an E350/E450 motorhome. So, I'm sure there is a market there for van makers to come out with things that can have bunks and drop-down berths for a family of 3-4.

Even though I have high hopes, Davydd may be right on the money, and I might be completely off base though with too much wishful thinking on the part of the Dodge/Ford offerings. I'd love a gasser for a few reasons, but if I'm paying 95% of the price for 50% of the features, I'm just going to bite the bullet and go for a Sprinter based model like an ERA, or go bite a bigger caliber round and buy a Sportsmobile because I can go with various customizations (for an example, a Magnum Energy hybrid inverter which "guarentees" full voltage for all appliances even if shore power is low.)
Old 09-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #56
Platinum Member

July 2013 Class B Sales stats have been posted on RV Business: http://www.rvbusiness.com/2013/09/ssi-c ... ring-july/

Quote:
Year-over-year Class B motorhome sales rose 13.5% in July while gaining 18.5% for the first seven months, according to the latest report from Statistical Surveys Inc.

Through July, Roadtrek Motorhomes Inc. was No. 1 in Class B sales, owning a 38.2% market share, followed by Thor Industries Inc. with a 22.2% share. Pleasure-Way Industries Ltd. (19.4%) ranked third and Winnebago Industries Inc. was No. 4 (16.7%).
May 2013 breakdown:
Roadtrek Motorhomes Inc. 35.7% market share.
Pleasure-Way Industries Ltd. 20.7% market share.
Winnebago Industries Inc. 17.9% market share.

June 2013 breakdown:
Roadtrek Motorhomes Inc. 37.2% market share.
Pleasure-Way Industries Ltd. 19.7% market share.
Winnebago Industries Inc. 14.9% market share.

July 2013 breakdown:
Roadtrek Motorhomes Inc. 38.2% market share.
Pleasure-Way Industries Ltd. 19.4% market share.
Winnebago Industries Inc. 16.7% market share.

Roadtrek continues to increase their market share. Thor and Pleasure-Way remain steady and Winnebago July results show a nice increase.

Class B sales are up 18.5% and Class B shipments are up 2.6% through July. It's looking like a pretty good year
Old 09-28-2013, 06:12 PM   #57
Platinum Member

August 2013 Class B shipments have been published on RVIA's site. 0.6% drop compared to last August.

The year for Class B shipments is trending flat.

Class A's are up 33% year to date.
Class C's are up an 42.8% year to date.
Class B's are up 2.2% year to date.

Sales are up 18.5% through July but shipments are basically flat, up 2.2% through August.

I don't understand that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Class B Shipments Aug 2013.JPG (65.4 KB, 952 views)
Old 09-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #58
Platinum Member

Sales numbers are based on price per unit, and are cumulative, and prices are up 18.5% on average over last year?
Beats me. Maybe if you have an email contact at Stats Surveys you could send them a mail and ask how it works?
Old 09-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #59
Platinum Member

Sales are new Class B's sold by dealers.
Shipments are new Class B's shipped to dealers from manufacturers.

There is no info re: prices.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #60
Platinum Member

Does that mean that the dealers are slowing the shipments from the factories to try to sell left over stock from previous years or that were ordered without a buyer? Demo models? How (or when) would they count a new 2012 model sold in 2013?
Would that explain it? Or something like overlapping sales or model years?