Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2021, 03:33 PM   #1

Default ebike rack

Looking for suggestions for a bike rack for RT 210, for an ebike.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:59 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Hollywood racks makes ebike models...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 03:32 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
Looking for suggestions for a bike rack for RT 210, for an ebike.
Not all of the hitch/platform racks are warrantied for RV applications because the distance between the rear axle and the hitch receiver varies wildly. On some of the class C's it could be as much as ten feet which can produce some bodacious shock loads on the bike rack, particularly if the rack is loaded with 65-70 lb Ebikes.

On the RT210, if you are using the Continental spare, none of the platform hitches have a sufficient length to provide clearance between the rack and the spare. It's aggravated by the fact that the hitch receiver is recessed about 4 inches into the rear fender. You will need a tongue extender of 7 inches or more to provide sufficient clearance. They are available from E trailer, the preferable model has an anti-rattle wedge which mitigates noise and more important, vibrating shock load to the hitch swing arm.

Some the hitches are limited with regard to tire width, tire size and wheel base. You should determined that the hitch choice is compatible with the bike(s) you will be using.

On the RT210, a platform hitch impedes opening the rear doors without first unloading the bike(s) which then permits indexing the swing arm and platform down sufficiently to access the doors. There are hitches that have a swing arm that permits swinging the entire assembly to the side sufficiently to access the doors. They work OK on the RT190 but the additional width of the RT210 makes employing the swing version impractical.

My recommendation is for 1UP USA or the Kuat NV2.0 hitches. My personal choice is the Kuat NV2.0 which has a hand tightening cam that eliminates any play between the receiver or a tongue extender. It also has bike locks integrated into the platform. I've had occasion to deal with their Customer Service and found it outstanding.

A two bike hitch will extend the overall length of the 210 a couple of feet which you always have to account for when backing up. What aggravates the process is that RT in their infinite wisdom did not employ a backup camera high up on the coach but employs the OEM camera on the rear license plate. As a result, when a bike is loaded on the hitch platform, the rear view camera is practically useless. Before backing up, it's absolutely necessary to get out and survey just what you're backing into. Failing to do that will guarantee not if but when you will damage the rack, the bike or both. Please don't ask me how I know.

s
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 04:10 PM   #4

Hi Murph,
I have a 95 RT 210 ChevyG30 and I'm running into the same quandary. Cruisin 738 made some good points, particularly related to back up camera situation....I'm thinking of remounting mine higher so I don't have the same accident.....
Back to the rack....I carry a giant tag-along for my handicap friend...it's basically child tag-along carriage made to adult specs...and it hooks up to a bike (e-bike). It folds down to a 2.5' square. My rack has to fit both the bike and the "Josie". This is what I did until I find a rack that works better.
I got an old Thule rack and attached 2 extensions on the upper bar, putting the bike on first, then hanging the Josie on the outside. It seemed to work pretty well, though I only took a regular mountain bike on this last trip. My e-bike will be in soon and I'll have to see how it fits...but, being closer to the van, I think the it will tolerate the higher weight adequately.
larryadamsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 04:30 PM   #5

Default Kuat NV 2.0

I used a Kuat NV 2.0 for 2 EMTBs. They are good for a Class B since they are vans not traditional RVs
misplacedyank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 04:53 PM   #6

Default Mounting an E-bike Rack

I faced a similar situation of how to mount 2 e-bikes on the back end of a Roadtrek 190. I also had a continental kit spare tire setup to dodge. My solution was the same as cruising7388 comments. Use a 7 inch extension and mount a robust bike rack with tire openings to fit the 4 inch fat tires. I did not use the same make rack as Murph but one a little less expensive. So far so good.
I also installed a backup camera up higher in the vent area which improved the view for backing up, although being up high I had to point the camera in a more down direction. So for driving now i mostly use the side mirrors.
CalCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:38 PM   #7

Check out the Wilco Offroad Hitch Gate Solo that can accommodate a spare tire and a bike rack.
jerrysimps@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 04:17 AM   #8
Platinum Member

This woman has a swing away E-bike rack. You can see it on this link, 2nd row of videos. She does talk about it in one of her videos but I can’t find it.

Can’t get the link to work. Her channel is Story Chasing.

Found it.

https://www.amazon.com/RockyMounts-B.../dp/B01MSTIKNK

hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 02:09 PM   #9

Default E-bike Rack

The swing away bike rack mechanism is certainly impressive, but you will still need the hitch extender (7-8 inch) if you have a spare tire mounted at the rear.
CalCan is offline   Reply With Quote