Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2021, 04:22 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Ford Scraps F150 Diesel

Automotive News reports that Ford has scrapped the F150 PowerStroke 3.0L diesel engine option due to low customer demand:
“Our customers overwhelmingly order our EcoBoost V-6 gasoline engines, which is why we are removing the diesel from our lineup,” a Ford spokeswoman said. “For customers who need maximum towing torque, we now offer the F-150 PowerBoost [hybrid] as the ideal combination of capability, power and fuel efficiency, which wasn’t available when Power Stroke was introduced.”
Ford had previously announced the PowerStroke 2.0L 'Panther' diesel engine option for revised Transit 2020 model year. However that PowerStroke engine never shipped and all updated Transit vans were equipped with either 3.5L PFDI or EcoBoost gas engines.

Although the F150 announcement doesn't directly impact Class B vans it does further portend the end of diesel engine availability in small to medium size pickup and utility vehicles in North America.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:17 PM   #2
Site Team

Another small step forward.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 07:24 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Another small step forward.
I agree. There will continue to be a need for diesel engines in large heavy-duty and commerical trucks until such time in the future that Tesla Semi's prove they can be a reasonable alternative. But in light-duty applications, that ship has sailed with many powerful V-6 & V-8 engines available that can do the job cleaner and just as well. Yes, gas engines won't get the diesel's mileage. But in terms of less polution, lower purchase cost, and cheaper lifetime maintenace will fit 99% of the diesel applications for a similar cost.

My opinion (above) is not intended to dengrate diesel or start a new diesel vs gas war. But instead, relates strictly to the light-duty trucks like the F-150 which is the topic of this thread.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 08:09 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Diesel never got acceptance in US as it did in many other countries. GM’s gas V8 turned into diesel V8 disaster didn’t help. EPA favoring gas engine didn’t help. California didn’t help.

“Our analysis of the respective emissions standards identifies that (broadly) US federal standards are more ambitious for key local air quality pollutants, particularly NOx, than EU standards. A key difference is that the US applies a single set of standards to petrol and diesel vehicles, while the EU allows higher levels of air quality pollutants to diesel vehicles. In addition, California, and a number of other states which chose to adopt California’s rules, apply emissions standards which are more ambitious than federal standards. With respect to greenhouse gas emissions, while the US has a history of implementing fuel economy standards, this was driven by concerns about energy security rather than climate change; only lately has the US taken action directly on greenhouse gas emissions from vehicles. The EU, in contrast, developed an earlier focus on CO2 emissions from vehicles; and EU fleet average targets for CO2 emissions are currently more ambitious than those adopted for emissions in the US.” https://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegDa...)587331_EN.pdf

Unfortunately for diesel cost of emission control technology is much higher than for gas, and with electrical vehicles popularity the final nail in the diesel coffin is in.

A while back a new LNG (or LPG) with diesel fuel ignition technology supposed to enter large Semi trucks but it didn’t. Perhaps is dead.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 08:52 PM   #5
Platinum Member

RE: Diesels on half-tons. I think the big three were way too late in putting small diesels in half-tons.

A few decades ago I rented an Isuzu box truck with a small 4cyl diesel. The truck was peppy and got good milage (for a box truck). HP and torque were adequate for a half-ton. Had that diesel been available in a half-ton I would have been very interested.

Today, with current emission controls, I'm not enthused about any diesel in anything other than a one-ton or larger.