Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2019, 10:53 PM   #61
Platinum Member

Hymer also looking for $7.5M for fraud on the sale to them by the investment group. I wonder who they are saying cooked the books, Raodtrek management or the investment group?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:05 PM   #62
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
page 36 (or 38 or 50 depending how you view it) on the report Greg linked to - just before the jeep stuff
Thank you, as predicted from previous pictures Hymer brought axles and surge mechanical brakes from EU, likely with 50mm ball. Shame, nice trailers.
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png (75.4 KB, 19 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:13 PM   #63
Platinum Member

With this stuff and Continuous Improvement's issues, it certainly does look like Hymer NA was playing very loose with the rules, on top of sloppy engineering. How much else is buried in, I wonder. We knew they had gotten worse for design and quality over the years, but that is an awful lot of serious safety stuff which is certainly beyond what many of us suspected.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:18 PM   #64
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Interesting on the shortened and cost limiting on existing owner's units. Two years and $1500 doesn't cover anywhere near the old warrnaty.
I expect the cost of the remaining old warranties was open ended and not financially viable. Who knows how much there could be in Ecotrek warranty costs under the old 6 year warranty. They are providing more than anyone should have reasonably expected given the other option of dissolving the company...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:26 PM   #65
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
I expect the cost of the remaining old warranties was open ended and not financially viable. Who knows how much there could be in Ecotrek warranty costs under the old 6 year warranty. They are providing more than anyone should have reasonably expected given the other option of dissolving the company...
Agree. Given that this was basically a goodwill investment, I think it was a fair compromise.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:28 PM   #66
Platinum Member

Quote:

Completely agree, but feel bad for those owners who had gotten their hopes up that the full warranty would come back.

And the sale price could go down if more that 1/2M$ by closing? That is a big number if it is typical of what warranty was costing Hymer.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:10 AM   #67
Platinum Member

We had 3 years left on our warranty which is now gone. I was shocked they covered any warranties. I am happy that it looks like parts will be available and maybe the dealer network. It could have been a full liquidation so this is really good news IMO.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:15 AM   #68
Platinum Member

I had tried to dampen the hopes of many Roadtrek owners mentioning to them that it was unlikely that they would honor the full warranty. My purchase of the Simplicity with its more basic systems looks even more sensible now. Getting any warranty at all out of this was unexpected for me. Since mine was delivered late last July, I have a year of warranty now. That is pretty standard in the business. I really doubt that I will even need it.

My only issue was that I got one of the recalled underhood generators and Nations Starter replaced it for me this month. I paid for a couple upgrades on it and the labor to install. It would be nice if Rapido reimbursed me for all or some of it.

I spent the afternoon slogging through the 70+ pages of legalese and soap opera level games. As usual, the really interesting stuff is redacted. The jeep saga is a page turner. What is going to happen to all those jeeps? Can they be fixed and sold? Last I looked they were all over dealer lots. I doubt that Jeep has been paid for them, so hopefully most had not yet been changed and can go back to FCA...

And then the thing about the 4 seats in the Sprinters. Apparently they will all be recalled by the CA and US governments for... what? repairs? By whom? It won't be Rapido's problem.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:18 AM   #69
Platinum Member

And La Mesa RV is buying all the leftover Hymer and Carados. Being delivered 28 at a time to cross the border.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 06-13-2019, 12:19 PM   #70
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I don't know how to respond. There are two many threads about the Roadtrek purchase. Maybe they should be consolidated or closed and a new one emerge. ....
^^ That made me smile.

This thread has now steered toward warranties. I don't know if that topic should be isolated as a separate thread or not, but there will be many folks with something to say about it going forward.

There's the RT warranty, but then on top of that, in some cases there's the dealer's supplemental warranty. IIRC, I wondered aloud on at least one other Class B Forum thread how the dealers will cope with honoring... something in the way of a warranty.

Here's an example. I took a pic of this during an RV show in Houston, with the aphorism going through my head, "If it looks too good to be true, then it IS too good to be true..."

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:47 PM   #71
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
^^ That made me smile.

This thread has now steered toward warranties. I don't know if that topic should be isolated as a separate thread or not, but there will be many folks with something to say about it going forward.

There's the RT warranty, but then on top of that, in some cases there's the dealer's supplemental warranty. IIRC, I wondered aloud on at least one other Class B Forum thread how the dealers will cope with honoring... something in the way of a warranty.

Here's an example. I took a pic of this during an RV show in Houston, with the aphorism going through my head, "If it looks too good to be true, then it IS too good to be true..."

Now that you've posted this on the internet, it must be true.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:52 PM   #72
Platinum Member

This thread has NOT gone to a discussion of general warranties... or some promises of some obscure dealer in Texas to unload his inventory. So please don't take it there... for that start a new thread.

This thread is discussing the news that came out today from the lawyers in reference to Rapido's purchase of Roadtrek (the thread topic) and the update included in it about the existing EHGNA/Roadtrek warranties and how Rapido plans to handle them.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 06-19-2019, 05:26 PM   #73
Platinum Member

Rapido purchase approved by judge...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/rapid...183500281.html
Old 06-19-2019, 05:46 PM   #74
Platinum Member

This is good news.

"The acquisition of Roadtrek signifies Rapido's return with Westfalia to the North American leisure vehicle market. North America is familiar territory for Rapido Group, as Westfalia was a well-known brand in North America in the 1960's and 1970's."

With VW Microbus coming in 2022 we could see VW Westfalia again in NA.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:39 PM   #75
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
This is good news.

"The acquisition of Roadtrek signifies Rapido's return with Westfalia to the North American leisure vehicle market. North America is familiar territory for Rapido Group, as Westfalia was a well-known brand in North America in the 1960's and 1970's."

With VW Microbus coming in 2022 we could see VW Westfalia again in NA.
is the new Microbus only an electric model?
Old 06-19-2019, 06:43 PM   #76
Platinum Member

Quote:
is the new Microbus only an electric model?
Yes, https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...on-of-an-icon/
Old 06-19-2019, 07:15 PM   #77
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
It would be interesting to see how big a market there would be for an electric Westfalia VW...
Old 06-19-2019, 08:14 PM   #78
Platinum Member

Quote:
It would be interesting to see how big a market there would be for an electric Westfalia VW...
Likely tiny at the beginning, but undoubtedly it will grow. The new VW bus could gain popularity and having a camper on the showroom floor it will hit different folks. This was my personal experience, walking into VW dealer, liked it, test drove with my wife and drove home in 1977. A very different experience than following RV purchases through RV dealers.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:32 AM   #79
Platinum Member

Until the range problem is solved- if the range problem is solved- electric RV's will be a very small niche indeed.

Visually, the new Microbus may conjure the flavor of the beloved air-cooled VW Westfalia campers, but functionally, the Westfalia Metris conversions are more of a true modern equivalent.

If you really love the old VW's, a more practical fix is to hitch a Dub-Box behind your Class B.
Dub Box.jpg
Old 06-20-2019, 02:27 PM   #80
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Until the range problem is solved- if the range problem is solved- electric RV's will be a very small niche indeed.

Visually, the new Microbus may conjure the flavor of the beloved air-cooled VW Westfalia campers, but functionally, the Westfalia Metris conversions are more of a true modern equivalent.

If you really love the old VW's, a more practical fix is to hitch a Dub-Box behind your Class B.
Attachment 7754
Very cool look. Heavily modified VW bus or did someone make a look-alike trailer from the ground up?
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote