Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2019, 10:26 PM   #121
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
The Chevys have been deleted from the build your own page but I don't think Rapido has announced they are discontinued.

Sportsmobile still builds Chevys.
And I hope they will continue with trouble free Chevys.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:50 AM   #122
Platinum Member

Quote:
The Chevys have been deleted from the build your own page but I don't think Rapido has announced they are discontinued.

I seem to recall Roadtrek (Jim Hammill) saying something like they only sold 1 Chevy for every 100 other chassis Roadtreks. If that is remotely true then no way Rapido would go with the Chevy. Plus GM will probably drop that design soon. Too bad as many like the chassis (like me). The GM Express/Savanna van sales are still pretty good, though not selling as well as the Ford.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:58 AM   #123
Platinum Member

Quote:

Safari Condo shows the GM base Class B is still available. I wonder if you really can get one from them. Not a fan of the pop top though.

https://safaricondo.com/en/motorises/
Old 07-24-2019, 02:01 AM   #124
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
I seem to recall Roadtrek (Jim Hammill) saying something like they only sold 1 Chevy for every 100 other chassis Roadtreks. If that is remotely true then no way Rapido would go with the Chevy. Plus GM will probably drop that design soon. Too bad as many like the chassis (like me). The GM Express/Savanna van sales are still pretty good, though not selling as well as the Ford.

The one in a hundred could have been in the timeframe where the Chevies were nearly impossible to get, so they would not have any to sell. There always seemed to be a few Chevies shown at the dealers and they did appear to move out in a reasonable amount of time, if they were available in the first place.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:22 AM   #125
Platinum Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
The one in a hundred could have been in the timeframe where the Chevies were nearly impossible to get, so they would not have any to sell. There always seemed to be a few Chevies shown at the dealers and they did appear to move out in a reasonable amount of time, if they were available in the first place.
That always puzzled me that Roadtrek had a hard time getting the vans from GM. I would think the demand from the GM dealers was pretty steady so there shouldn't have been major shortages. Of course Roadtrek was just a small fish so GM took care of their dealers first.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:28 AM   #126
Platinum Member

Quote:
That always puzzled me that Roadtrek had a hard time getting the vans from GM. I would think the demand from the GM dealers was pretty steady so there shouldn't have been major shortages. Of course Roadtrek was just a small fish so GM took care of their dealers first.

Of course, with the now known financial things goings on at Roadtrek, GM may have had them at the lowest allocation priority rating in fear of not getting paid. They even could have on COD basis, which is always last on a priority list. In hindsight, you would have put severe doubt about the truthfulness of most of what Hammill had to say.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:46 PM   #127
Platinum Member

The Chevy models and the Simplicity have disappeared from the website, but it is obviously still a work in progress. That was certainly a predictable, and to me, sensible decision on their part to cut some models. The Chevy rigs were obviously the place to start as they are certainly the lowest seller now and Chevy cutting production slowly on the van. (though they continue to waffle on their future van...) That leave only Sportsmobile and GTRV who will convert them on their 'build what you want on whatever van you want' systems. There may be some other less well known smaller converters who are willing to do so.

As to the Simplicity, I think they should merge it with the Zion... stop painting the bumpers (stupidest idea ever created for cars or vans) and expanding the option list. In other words, keep the Simplicity, but give it most of the Zion options - make painted bumpers an option. That is actually what I did, as RT agreed to do half and half on mine. It is a Simplicity with a Zion interior and the Zion solar options. Make it a bit more of an a la carte menu... with a wide range of price points... more like the good old days of Class B's when we had GWV, LTV, and PW producing lots of vans with a very flexible list of options and floor plans.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 02:27 AM   #128
Platinum Member

Quote:
I don't see why GM would drop the Express/Savana vans. They are still selling well at about 100,000 units/year. GM must be making money on these vans. See graphic below. They are gold for the folks doing real work.

IMG_0541.jpg

Source: http://carsalesbase.com
Old 07-25-2019, 04:02 AM   #129
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I don't see why GM would drop the Express/Savana vans. They are still selling well at about 100,000 units/year. GM must be making money on these vans. See graphic below. They are gold for the folks doing real work.

Attachment 7865

Source: carsalesbase.com - Automotive Industry analysis, opinions and data
Thanks. Great info. GM should be making a lot of money on them as the development costs would have been recovered many years ago. I hope they keep making them for a long time so that parts are readily available.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:28 PM   #130
Platinum Member

The Express van is certainly disappearing off the roads around the US. Lots of Sprinters, Promasters, and Transits... plus the small Ram, Ford and Nissan vans. And so many of those Chevies are looking old and worn (and rusty... or the many year issue with the paint coming off the hood) - becoming rare to see a shiny new one. I loved my two Chevy based RVs, but to be honest, my Promaster is better in every way for an RV... and likely for a work van.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 07-25-2019, 12:41 PM   #131
Platinum Member

It is interesting to talk to trades people about what they drive. I don't get a chance to do it as much as I did when working, but still know a few.

Most I have run across don't want a Mercedes for whatever reasons.

Most don't want anything duallie for traction at worksites and hassle factor.

Many don't want front drive for traction at jobsites or trailering

For quite a few, they need/want a one ton.

Many really miss their Fords.

If you add up all the don't wants the choices really go down quickly. I think the only one ton single wheels you can get with rear drive are the Chevy and the Nissan.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:23 PM   #132
Platinum Member

Ford Transit 350 is rear drive and available with single or dual wheels. But it’s unibody, also eschewed by some traditionalists, and doesn't offer a V8 engine choice. If you add body-on-frame and V8 to the list, then it’s down to Chevy and Nissan.

Nissan doesn’t offer a long wheelbase version, and Chevy doesn’t offer a factory raised roof. Both are significant for Class B’s.

If you add enough requirements, you can make the answer whatever you want it to be... or nothing at all!

Tradespeople do have lots of van experience worth hearing. Whether the reasons for their preferences apply to Class B’s is a valid discussion. Class B owners do not all have the same needs, either.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:24 PM   #133
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Ford Transit 350 is rear drive and available with single or dual wheels. But it’s unibody, also eschewed by some traditionalists, and doesn't offer a V8 engine choice. If you add body-on-frame and V8 to the list, then it’s down to Chevy and Nissan.

Nissan doesn’t offer a long wheelbase version, and Chevy doesn’t offer a factory raised roof. Both are significant for Class B’s.

If you add enough requirements, you can make the answer whatever you want it to be... or nothing at all!

Tradespeople do have lots of van experience worth hearing. Whether the reasons for their preferences apply to Class B’s is a valid discussion. Class B owners do not all have the same needs, either.

I just looked at the Transit site, and at least from what it seemed to be last year, they now offer the high roof and extended with all the engines and single wheels up to 9500# capacity. I couldn't get any of those to work last year that way. Still can't get to the 9900# though without it going dually. I am just going be vehicle pix in build it area, as it is very hard to find a usable option combination list these days.

Totally agree that the trades folks don't represent what class b folks need and want, but that wasn't my point. What the tradesmen are, though, is a major share of the customer base for the vans, they and have a very large influence on whether or an particular model sells well, or even survives, along with the delivery companies who also have different needs.

Personally, with whats available now, if I were a trade person who worked unfinished sites in particular, I would likely be getting the Nissan. Lots of power 9900# capacity IIRC, single wheel, big towing capability to haul a lift, Bobcat, trencher, whatever. Standard length, roof of choice.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:32 PM   #134
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I just looked at the Transit site, and at least from what it seemed to be last year, they now offer the high roof and extended with all the engines and single wheels up to 9500# capacity. I couldn't get any of those to work last year that way. Still can't get to the 9900# though without it going dually...
That's just common sense. The whole point of dual rear wheels is to increase payload. And if you prefer single wheels, it only makes sense to limit the weight of your upfit. I'm actually surprised the difference is only 400 pounds.

Talking with tradespeople is good to get a feel for reliability and maintenance issues with a particular chassis. They use them hard and put a lot of miles on them. Downtime is money.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:42 PM   #135
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
That's just common sense. The whole point of dual rear wheels is to increase payload. And if you prefer single wheels, it only makes sense to limit the weight of your upfit. I'm actually surprised the difference is only 400 pounds.

Talking with tradespeople is good to get a feel for reliability and maintenance issues with a particular chassis. They use them hard and put a lot of miles on them. Downtime is money.

I think going to the 9900#, which is the sweet spot for regulations that kick in at 10K, I think, requires a tire size change along with any mechanical load issues, so they may not have room for them on the singles. IIRC, the Nissan uses larger than the old standard 245-75-16 to get to the 9900#.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:39 PM   #136
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
The Express van is certainly disappearing off the roads around the US. Lots of Sprinters, Promasters, and Transits... plus the small Ram, Ford and Nissan vans. And so many of those Chevies are looking old and worn (and rusty... or the many year issue with the paint coming off the hood) - becoming rare to see a shiny new one. I loved my two Chevy based RVs, but to be honest, my Promaster is better in every way for an RV... and likely for a work van.
For full sized vans - Ford Transits are certainly the top sellers. But the GM vans outsell Sprinters, ProMasters and Nissan NVs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture6.JPG (40.1 KB, 9 views)
Old 07-25-2019, 09:08 PM   #137
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
For full sized vans - Ford Transits are certainly the top sellers. But the GM vans outsell Sprinters, ProMasters and Nissan NVs.
Boxster: where do you get this data from? I want to look up sales for some cars I am interested in.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:27 PM   #138
Platinum Member

Quote:
Boxster: where do you get this data from? I want to look up sales for some cars I am interested in.
I posted the source in #128 above, but here it is again for your convenience.

carsalesbase.com - Automotive Industry analysis, opinions and data

Enjoy,
Old 07-26-2019, 01:03 AM   #139
Platinum Member

I love my '2011 Chevy Express 3500 chassis. Good ride, good handling, great transmission, and best of all the simple but powerful 6.0L naturally-aspirated overhead valve V-8. All with 15+ mpg overall. It's an oldie but goodie.

But, for the additional spaciousness of a factory high-top van, I'd probably look to the transit or promaster for my next rig. I also understand the builders no longer wanting to cut off roofs and add fiberglass tops since the newer models do not require such extensive mods.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:39 PM   #140
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
I also understand the builders no longer wanting to cut off roofs and add fiberglass tops since the newer models do not require such extensive mods.
I'd say that this the number one reason that the major converters have dropped the Chevy. Takes up a lot of space and time on the factory floor. Rapido did not choose to go into the old RT factory that has those facilities already... which is why I expected the Chevy to disappear from the lineup.

Odd the positive talk about the Nissan van... probably the butt ugliest van ever built by any manufacturer... in the world. It makes my Promaster look like Marilyn Monroe. And I literally never see one on the streets of MN or AZ, nor on the highways in between.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme