Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2019, 01:52 AM   #41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyne View Post
I don’t think the tech is the issue with RT. We have an all electric Agile (with AGM not lithium) and the initial issues we had with the van (now all solved) were due to sloppiness and lack of attention to detail at manufacture. The van with Alde heat, solar etc is very very capable. Built with quality in mind RT could be a lower price, non custom alternative to Advanced RV.

Also I think they should focus on better training and qualifying service locations; many really don’t know how to service the more complex components. In my experience both of those things should be achievable within a profitable structure.
My point is not so much that tech-heavy Class B's could not be made reliable, but that I'd like a simpler version with less of it. It's a pet peeve of mine that I can't even fold my rear couch into a bed if I don't have 12V power for some reason. Of course, you can always get it going again... eventually... but really- what's wrong with a manual-folding bed?

I had been trying to figure out how to respond and clarify my intent when I stumbled across this post, which expresses exactly what I was trying to say:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilliams View Post
As I understand it, European RV's usually don't have a lot of our standard amenities and they use them differently than most Americans. Here is a link from The Fit RV.

To summarize, they don't have generators, microwaves or a black water tank and AC is unusual. They also are used more for shorter weekend trips, mostly smaller because of roads and weight is a big issue because heavier rigs require a different drivers license. They say the rv's don't have "the big inverters", it wasn't clear if that meant they had smaller inverters.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:00 AM   #42
Platinum Member

If you read the Hymer Activ FB page, you will find that a significant number of the buyers are young families. Lots with small children. They didn't seem to have any trouble negotiating with the RV dealers. The Hymers were sold at regular dealers... some of which (most of which)... were also RT dealers.

I don't see any issue here. Not all of the RT dealers were interested in the Hymers, and those probably wouldn't be interested in the Westy either.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 02:58 AM   #43
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
…………………….. It's a pet peeve of mine that I can't even fold my rear couch into a bed if I don't have 12V power for some reason. Of course, you can always get it going again... eventually... but really- what's wrong with a manual-folding bed? ……………………..
Making my own conversion I was free to choose and KISS principle was high on the list. Our bed can be placed into a latched bed position in a few seconds and back to sofa takes about the same time with the aid of an air spring. Bed seating section rolls on ball bearing sliders so it is easy to erect and fold.

I made my living on technologies development and have seen a few of unintended consequences while walking on a bleeding edge. For our camping I am very happy to stay away from trendy technologies.

We recently travel 8,600 miles on the round trip from Portland to Key West, my conversion was flawless, can’t say flawless for the 2013 Mercedes emission bleeding edge, still bleeding.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 02:46 PM   #44
Platinum Member

I cured that problem by ordering my SRT deleting the sofa and delivered with an empty space back there (though I do have a power cord and the switch on the wall). It was replaced with 2 twin beds - for short people. I found the RT version of that sofa bed to be horridly uncomfortably soft and it killed my back in the 170. Now I have two platform bed that are both comfortable and triple my storage space without the mechanism down there taking up all the space... and usage of the rear doors.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 04-21-2019, 03:54 PM   #45
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
I cured that problem by ordering my SRT deleting the sofa and delivered with an empty space back there (though I do have a power cord and the switch on the wall). It was replaced with 2 twin beds - for short people. I found the RT version of that sofa bed to be horridly uncomfortably soft and it killed my back in the 170. Now I have two platform bed that are both comfortable and triple my storage space without the mechanism down there taking up all the space... and usage of the rear doors.

That sounds similar to what we did with our 190P. The power sofa in an incredibly bad waste of space. I don't think you could put the supports in a worse spot to mess up the storage under the bed even if you tried. We now have a totally clear area about 5' square under the permanent bed.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 02:34 PM   #46
Platinum Member

Latest info, looks like it will be several months before purchase is completed...

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/mobile/...yees-1.4408375
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 02:38 PM   #47
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Latest info, looks like it will be several months before purchase is completed...

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/mobile/...yees-1.4408375
"taking over only one of the Hymer facilities in CAMBRIDGE"

Not Kitchener? If so, that is a surprise.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:07 PM   #48
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
"taking over only one of the Hymer facilities in CAMBRIDGE"

Not Kitchener? If so, that is a surprise.
Yes, it would be an interesting development since they were leasing the Kitchener facility from Jeff Hanemaayer...
Old 05-05-2019, 04:32 PM   #49
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Yes, it would be an interesting development since they were leasing the Kitchener facility from Jeff Hanemaayer...
Yep, that was my thought also as he was an intermediary in the deal if what we have seen is accurate.

From a manufacturing standpoint only, it makes a lot sense to go with new factory which would likely be more amenable to modern manufacturing methods. The Kitchener plant was almost a time capsule to 1960's manufacturing. Broken up by lots of walls, lots of motion needed to get things through it, etc. The few pix I have seen of Cambridge looked like the now typical big open box shop floor that can easily be reconfigured.

Kitchener did have a big area for cut and hack of metal cutting openings and roof removal. They will likely kill off the Chevies, so unless they go to a popup on the unibodies they wouldn't need nearly as much room for the metal cutting area.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:12 PM   #50
Platinum Member

I think the Hymer Eriba trailers were made in the Cambridge facility so it is reasonably new. Unfortunately, this little trailer jewel is likely dead in NA. I was contemplating to get one so we could take our grandkids for some short camping trips.

https://www.gohymer.com/erwin-hymer-...er-line-vegas/

https://arcadianprojects.ca/posts/po...ems/road-trek/
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png (935.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 05-05-2019, 06:40 PM   #51
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
I think the Hymer Eriba trailers were made in the Cambridge facility so it is reasonably new. Unfortunately, this little trailer jewel is likely dead in NA. I was contemplating to get one so we could take our grandkids for some short camping trips.

https://www.gohymer.com/erwin-hymer-...er-line-vegas/

https://arcadianprojects.ca/posts/po...ems/road-trek/
One article I saw when trying to find out how big the facility is said the Activ was also supposed to be made there, so it may already have some van handling capability.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:36 PM   #52
Platinum Member

There are 2 locations in Cambridge. Both can be seen from the major highway through Cambridge (Highway 401). One is north of the highway and the other is south. The one that RT and Hymer owners have been to for the Owners Academy is north of the highway and was once owned by Blackberry. It was the larger of the two Cambridge locations. Both are newer as compared to the Shirley location. Depending on the growth plans, the site rumored to be the new home for 'Repido Roadtrek' is probably suitable. I don't know what was done at this location. I had seen the Aktivs and the Eriba trailers at the larger Cambridge facility. So maybe the Carado and Banff were built at the smaller Cambridge location as Shirley only had Roadtreks (Sprinter and Chevy).
Old 05-05-2019, 11:01 PM   #53
Platinum Member

There was a report on the local TV up there that Rapido hopes to be back in production in August... which matches the July hire news.

It makes sense that they take over the largest facility that likely is more modernized. We have quite a few employees over on the FB pages, so they can perhaps tell us which products were made where previously.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 05-06-2019, 01:51 PM   #54
Platinum Member

The stories I have seen say they intend to use only one of the "Cambridge" plants. Given that the Shirley plant was the focus of the Roadtrek brand production, I wonder if that is in addition to the Shirley location or the only location. It will be interesting to see which, if any, of the existing Roadtrek models they decide to produce.

It also appears that the reported number of employees they are hiring comes from the United Way, which is dealing with the displaced workers, rather than directly from the company. According to the local TV station, the company was refusing comment.

According to one story, United Way indicated they wouldn't actually be hiring until July. The employment application process now may be part of their due diligence to ensure they have an experienced workforce available.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:35 PM   #55
Platinum Member

Latest info...

https://rvdailyreport.com/industry/r...rench-company/

Details...

https://www.alvarezandmarsal.com/sit...ne_10_2019.pdf
Old 06-12-2019, 09:51 PM   #56
Platinum Member

That's great news that the sale is going through.

It's shocking news about the 1,900 RVs sold by EHGNA between 2013 and 2019 with second row seats that did not pass required pull tests .

Quote:
Subsequent testing by an engineering firm employed by the receiver determined that the seats did not pass required pull tests — a problem impacting 1,900 RVs sold by EHGNA between 2013 and 2019.

As a result, those vehicles were excluded by Rapido Group from the warranty applied to other Roadtrek vehicles.
( https://rvdailyreport.com/industry/r...rench-company/ )
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:57 PM   #57
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
That's great news that the sale is going through.

It's shocking news about the 1,900 RVs sold by EHGNA between 2013 and 2019 with second row seats that did not pass required pull tests .

( https://rvdailyreport.com/industry/r...rench-company/ )
Also interesting that there were Fastback Jeep conversions that were over GVWR for the chassis and owners were told to stop driving them...

As suspected, engineering was not one of the strong points of EHGNA...
Old 06-12-2019, 09:57 PM   #58
Platinum Member

No mention about Hymer trailers.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:08 PM   #59
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
No mention about Hymer trailers.
page 36 (or 38 or 50 depending how you view it) on the report Greg linked to - just before the jeep stuff
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:50 PM   #60
Platinum Member

Interesting on the shortened and cost limiting on existing owner's units. Two years and $1500 doesn't cover anywhere near the old warrnaty.