Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2020, 08:28 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Roadtrek PLAY entry level Class B

Roadtrek has introduced a new PLAY entry level series based on the Ram ProMaster chassis. The initial release of the Play series will be built on the 21ft ProMaster 3500 chassis with a twin beds at the rear that can be converted to a single queen bed. The optional Slumber package includes a pop-top roof with 52x79" bed to double sleeping capacity.

While Roadtrek's PLAY series will be aimed at the "Budget minded First Time Buyer", a second line labeled the CHASE series and also ProMaster based, will be aimed at the outdoor enthusiast with upgraded suspension and wheels, all-terrain tires, Firefly user interface package with smartphone integration, and roll-up bug screens. Chase model details (length?) were not specified.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:44 PM   #2
Platinum Member

we all hope for a healthy productive RoadTrek
I'll watch and wait, as I think will many others

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 12:08 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
we all hope for a healthy productive RoadTrek
I'll watch and wait, as I think will many others

Mike
I second those sentiments. I just went to Roadtrek.com and it basically hasn't been updated since the old Roadtrek other than a blurb about Rapido family ownership. Sheesh, what does it say if they can't even get their website up to date.

I'm hoping they have a new website that I just missed.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:58 AM   #4
Gold Member

Is there a link to a press release or something with this? I'm not turning up anything in a search.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:19 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Roadtrek website has now been updated with the new Play, Chase, and Zion Slumber models. The dealer rumors above were directionally correct but missing some details:

Play entry level model features permanent rear twin bed layout with adjustable headrests, underhood generator, AGM batteries and macerator sewage system.

Chase model shares the Play rear twin bed layout while adding lithium batteries, Froli sleep system, Firefly automation system and smart TV. Sumo Springs are optional but no sign of all-terrain tires.

Zion Slumber is the model that gets the Slumber pop-up top. Otherwise Zion models retain their rear fold-down dinette or power sofa bed sleeping accommodations, whereas Play and Chase feature permanent twin beds.

All Roadtrek Promaster models are on the longer 159 extended chassis except the Zion SRT on the regular 20 ft 159 chassis. No short (18ft) Roadtrek models are shown.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:43 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I just went to the site to look, particularly at the play with AGM.

First thing I see is that it has a "400" battery with no units at all. Jeeeeez, I hope they aren't going with old Roadtrek deceptive spec game. That would be immensely disappointing to me.

$105K for entry level is quite a bit, I think
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 02:20 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
All Roadtrek Promaster models are on the longer 159 extended chassis except the Zion SRT on the regular 20 ft 159 chassis. No short (18ft) Roadtrek models are shown.
The last 18 ft Roadtrek was on the Chevy, which Rapido declined to continue. (Hymer had one on the 1500 at 17'9")

They only have the 3500 Promaster at 20'9" and the one 2500 SRT model at 19'7"

It appears that they have stopped offering options and you have to choose by model... easier for them, but less choice for the purchasers. That said the changes that they have made seem to be listening to what the majority have been asking for.

Prices have taken a big jump... The Play, which is basically the old Simplicity starts at $104K

(Hey Booster... they have finally corrected the gray tank to 18.5 gal... which is still a bit high, but closer than before)
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 02:23 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Canadian dollars?

ha, Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:08 PM   #9

Default Absurd pricing

RoadTrek has priced all their new offerings in the stratosphere. The Agile is up almost $50k Canadian.

Possibly they are going the high MSRP high discount model.
nornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:33 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Do you suppose this is to compete with Thor's Sequence/Tellaro? As a total newbie on any type of RVs, I can't make intelligent comparisons yet, but the Sequence/Tellaro looks much better to me, and it's cheaper, too. We are going to take a look at a 2021 Sequence today. The listed price isn't bad in comparison with others, but still I prefer an 18 foot van like the Hymer 504 Free. https://www.hymer.com/de/en/models/hymer-free
CalVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:52 PM   #11

Be very cautious of anything Thor puts out. One of the worst quality and reliability ratingsin the industry.
KYRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 04:29 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Default Good Match for Hymer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYRuss View Post
Be very cautious of anything Thor puts out. One of the worst quality and reliability ratingsin the industry.
Thor is a good match for Hymer.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 04:39 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYRuss View Post
I hear about Thor's poor quality everywhere on the net. The one that we saw yesterday was a 20L. It looked nice inside and out, but I don't know if it is well insulated and how it is going to hold up. Also, I readily noticed that the cabinet doors do not have any kind of locking mechanism. I watched a couple reviewing their new Thor van. A number of issues. They live too far from the dealer, and they ended up taking it to Thor.

I won't jump on it; I will let the early adopters iron out all the bugs. I hope that when Hymer USA brings the exact European automation process to the US, it would be of much better quality while lowering the price.
CalVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 12:16 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalVan View Post
I hope that when Hymer USA brings the exact European automation process to the US, it would be of much better quality while lowering the price.
Don't hold your breath. I expect it to end up typical Thor stuff... and the prices will more likely go up than down.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:32 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
Don't hold your breath. I expect it [Hymer USA] to end up typical Thor stuff... and the prices will more likely go up than down.
The fact that Thor delayed the Hymer USA brand roll-out to wait until European engineers and production supervisors could implement a new factory in Bristol Indiana would seem to indicate their goal is to maintain it as a separate premium brand. Of course only time will tell whether the actual Hymer units live up to that expectation.

But I fully agree the pricing will likely be aimed at the specialty premium market also. Don't expect to find bargain European campervans from Hymer USA.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:13 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Personally, I wouldn't touch RT, but that's just me. Their new models are priced absurdly high as well. You can commission the perfect custom build at those prices. Hard pass for me.
dhectorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 12:16 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalVan View Post
Do you suppose this is to compete with Thor's Sequence/Tellaro? As a total newbie on any type of RVs, I can't make intelligent comparisons yet, but the Sequence/Tellaro looks much better to me, and it's cheaper, too. We are going to take a look at a 2021 Sequence today. The listed price isn't bad in comparison with others, but still I prefer an 18 foot van like the Hymer 504 Free. https://www.hymer.com/de/en/models/hymer-free
Perhaps they're taking a shot at Winnebago's Solis. Nice little entry level B inside a Promaster, priced @ $101K.