Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2020, 07:08 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Default Hymer USA website now live

The Hymer USA website is now live at:
https://www.hymer.com/us/en
Not much content yet but they do highlight some photos of a Hymer 'Semi Integrated' RV (a small class C or B+ here).

Anyone care to guess which units might be among their first US offerings? I'll start by guessing that pictured unit would be a Hymer ML-T, their only semi-integrated Sprinter offering currently compatible with a US certified Sprinter chassis:
https://www.hymer.com/en/models/moto...ighlights.html
Hymer has a couple other interesting semi-integrated offerings, the B-Class S and T-Class S (their 'class' names, not our RVIA classes) but they use the Sprinter front wheel drive tractor head chassis that is not exported to North America.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 02:07 AM   #22
Platinum Member

They will have to use the platforms available here in the US... Sprinter, Promaster, and Transit.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:48 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
They will have to use the platforms available here in the US... Sprinter, Promaster, and Transit.

Those models were European vehicles before being launched in NA.
The Promaster is a rebranded Fiat Ducato, which most European class Bs are built on.
So we should be able to see actual European designs, provided Hymer USA doesn’t mess it up.
Excelwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:06 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelwpg View Post
Those models were European vehicles before being launched in NA.
The Promaster is a rebranded Fiat Ducato, which most European class Bs are built on.
So we should be able to see actual European designs, provided Hymer USA doesn’t mess it up.
Yes... obviously. But there are still many vans used in Europe and converted that are not sold here. (such as the very popular RV models in the current VW van) Thus to bring the options here, the manufacturer would have to do a redesign to use the platforms that are already here.

The Sprinter has been here since the early 2000's but manufacturers have still taken little notice of European examples or innovations. We had hoped to see more from Hymer 1.0. It remains to be seen what Thor will manage as Hymer 2.0.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 02-19-2020, 04:24 PM   #25

Sadly, I am skeptical.
The fact that they created a seperate entity makes you feel like Thor is keeping them at arm's length. I suppose with what happened they are right to be cautious.

With European models, Hymer exclusively uses Sprinter and Fiat/Promaster, so there should be no reason to deviate from the existing designs. (Aside from how they use propane cylinders, rather than tanks like we use.)

The vast majority of European RVs are Sprinters and Fiat's, not many use the VW chassis or the transit.
It boggles my mind that NA hasn't copied those designs by now.
Excelwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 04:56 PM   #26
Platinum Member

I am skeptical too, just wishful thinking. To bring product designs to NA and to maintain low cost manufacturing processes would have to be updated to the current automotive standards or close, mom and pop shops couldn’t cut the mustard even if staple guns would be confiscated. I am not sure if NA RV manufacturing folks have sufficient know how to do that. What I have seen was disgraceful.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:19 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Default Hymer USA division on Hold

Thor Industries Hymer USA division has been put on hold, a temporary victim of Covid 19 travel and immigration limitations.

According to Thor CEO Bob Martin:
Frankly our new Hymer USA division is on hold. It's delayed because we had about 20 German workers who were moving here that can't come here now, and I don't know when travel can resume in either direction because of Covid.

So, it's on hold until we can figure out when they're able to come. The group strongly wants to come and we think it's still a product that will resonate. In the interim Thor Motor Coach, in need of production space, has taken that plant back over and will be producing a good number of Class B's out of that Bristol (Ind) plant.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:36 AM   #28
Bronze Member

Hello .. Will HYMER offer the FREE S euro class B in NA
Old 09-28-2020, 02:41 AM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testa-Dura View Post
Hello .. Will HYMER offer the FREE S euro class B in NA
FREE would be nice!
Old 09-28-2020, 12:54 PM   #30
Platinum Member

I like that Hymer puts flip out rear windows on the Sprinter's back doors. Everyone should adopt that. Cabin looks clean and functional. But cassette toilet and no ac rule it out for my use.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:59 PM   #31
Platinum Member

I've never checked into this, but I was told that there are legal issues... perhaps in Canada... about the rear windows opening in an RV because of generator and engine exhaust. My Chevy based 170 came from GM with rear windows that could be opened, but they were screwed shut. I could remove the screws as the purchaser, but the factory or dealer could not.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 09-28-2020, 02:02 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
My Chevy based 170 came from GM with rear windows that could be opened, but they were screwed shut.

Ditto 2006 Pleasure Way/ chev, I love cracking these laying in bed

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:06 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layton100@gmail.com View Post
It will be interesting to see if the "Quality Standards' usually found in European vehicles carries through with Thor ownership.

My personal experience with Thor leads me to be very skeptical until proven wrong. Good luck with any of their vehicles.
Yep, and looking back at the number of Thor units sitting in a flooded storage lot that ended up in the hands of unsuspecting customers really makes me skeptical. It is hard to escape the huge mistakes of the past.
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:32 PM   #34
Platinum Member

we live in a world where huge pronouncements are made with no follow through

sometimes to drive a market expectation ( us)

or funders ( or lobbying govt for our tax $$$ )

it's just noise until this entity actually puts something on the road

as we see there are few penalties for lies

workers or expertise from over seas can't be the hold up
( many refuse to travel to the US right now)- domestic can be trained in a timely manner

the visa programs for expert foreign workers has been gutted- I'd be surprised if Thor could get H visas

Mike
Old 09-28-2020, 03:56 PM   #35
Bronze Member

Have been watching U-TUBE videos and quite frankly am very interested in the europeen design .. as soon as U walk in THRU side door their is a dining area & sunroof .. i would like a Volta option as well as solar power .. Looking at Panoramic and other simular types of RV's
Old 09-28-2020, 07:16 PM   #36
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
Thor Industries Hymer USA division has been put on hold, a temporary victim of Covid 19 travel and immigration limitations...[/INDENT]
That's disappointing. As soon as Hymer introduces their Free 540 models to the US market, I'll get one. The price in Europe for the 540 is pretty good, and I suspect that it will be about the same if not lower. https://www.campersales.co.uk/camper...hymercar/free/
CalVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:17 AM   #37
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalVan View Post
That's disappointing. As soon as Hymer introduces their Free 540 models to the US market, I'll get one. The price in Europe for the 540 is pretty good, and I suspect that it will be about the same if not lower. https://www.campersales.co.uk/camper...hymercar/free/
Looks just like the Hymer Aktiv that they built up in Ontario. You don't have to wait...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 09-29-2020, 01:26 AM   #38
Platinum Member

Quote:
Looks just like the Hymer Aktiv that they built up in Ontario. You don't have to wait...

If so, according to the CDN business papers much of the inventory was bought by LaMesa to be completed in the US

These units may or may not be subject to the recall for falsified safety certs
Mike
Old 09-29-2020, 02:27 AM   #39
Bronze Member

Quote:
I had come acorss the Hymer Aktiv. From my standpoint of view, a couple of things against it;
1, it seems that the company shut down,
2, all Aktiv models seem to be 159 WB while the Hymer Free 540 is 136WB or 540 cm (213")long, which is perfect for my needs. Also, I find the 136 WB much easier to drive,
3. The prices for used Aktiv vans are high. I'd rather buy a brand new Thor Tellaro for much less, though it is not exactly what I am looking.

Recently I visited a van conversion factory. 200K for a van that doesn't even have a toilet/shower. Talk about a low volume high margin business! I am gonna wait around a year or so and see where Hymer USA is at. I might add that this might be my wishful thinking, but all these Class B vans cost about 50% less in Europe and that Hymer USA might be able to offer similar prices for the US market.
CalVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:56 AM   #40
Platinum Member

My hope is that the two Europeans companies, Hymer/Thor and Rapido (Westfalia owners)/Roadtrek will compete for North America customers looking for European style camper vans. Roadtrek recovery is managed by the same fellow who brought Westfalia back ashes back to life after disastrous Daimler acquisition.

COVID19 threw a monkey wrench to both companies but I hope they will recover bringing European camper vans quality at sane prices to North America.