Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2020, 07:44 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Thor announces Hymer USA division

Thor Industries has introduced a new Hymer USA subsidiary to manufacture and sell European style RVs in North America. The new group, to be based in Bristol, Indiana, will be staffed with a selection of Hymer's German engineers and manufacturing leads relocated to the US.

Thor CEO Bob Martin says:
"The international products look different. They’re lighter weight and higher quality. The way they put them together is different than the way we do here. And it was very evident over the past few months as we’ve sent a lot of team members over to Europe and a lot European team members have come here that there is simply an opportunity to do something a little bit different."

"So rather than take a European product and build it the way we do here — we build them more like a home in the States whereas EHG’s are more automotive in terms of cabinetry and things like that — we decided to adapt more of their products and building practices."
Those who witnessed the previous Erwin Hymer / Roadtrek debacle will likely have some lingering doubts about this new effort. However it's notable that Thor is taking the opposite approach here, bringing European personnel and manufacturing to the States, rather than simply foreign ownership of a traditional North American factory.

Initial production is scheduled to begin in Q4 2020. It will be interesting to see which Hymer products are initially offered.

Link for more details: https://rvbusiness.com/thor-industri...idiary-in-ind/
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:04 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
However it's notable that Thor is taking the opposite approach here, bringing European personnel and manufacturing to the States, rather than simply foreign ownership of a traditional North American factory.
As I understood it the Hymer products produced in North America were all based on the German engineering models. The only North American products were the Roadtreks and the Roadtreks weren't really the reason for Hymer North America's failure. Basically Thor/Hymer has the same Erwin Hymer Group leadership under a different name. Maybe they will get it right the second time. But I am sure they will have an exit strategy so they can dump any losses on their customers and try again until they do. Hopefully some of the new version's parts will fit all those legacy owners they left out to dry.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:30 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
Thor Industries has introduced a new Hymer USA subsidiary to manufacture and sell European style RVs in North America. The new group, to be based in Bristol, Indiana, will be staffed with a selection of Hymer's German engineers and manufacturing leads relocated to the US.

Thor CEO Bob Martin says:
"The international products look different. They’re lighter weight and higher quality. The way they put them together is different than the way we do here. And it was very evident over the past few months as we’ve sent a lot of team members over to Europe and a lot European team members have come here that there is simply an opportunity to do something a little bit different."

"So rather than take a European product and build it the way we do here — we build them more like a home in the States whereas EHG’s are more automotive in terms of cabinetry and things like that — we decided to adapt more of their products and building practices."
Those who witnessed the previous Erwin Hymer / Roadtrek debacle will likely have some lingering doubts about this new effort. However it's notable that Thor is taking the opposite approach here, bringing European personnel and manufacturing to the States, rather than simply foreign ownership of a traditional North American factory.

Initial production is scheduled to begin in Q4 2020. It will be interesting to see which Hymer products are initially offered.

Link for more details: https://rvbusiness.com/thor-industri...idiary-in-ind/
I think it is a very smart move, inducing automotive manufacturing technologies into NA RV should bring lower costs, lighter weight conversions and reliability, I hope it will be a viral spread. Common explanation that EU RVs are less expensive because they don't have black tank isn’t sufficient, the primary reason for lower prices are due to manufacturing methodologies.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:35 PM   #4
Site Team

Pretty exciting.

Anyone who has slept a night in a European RV will immediately understand what this article is claiming. Let's hope it is for real.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:40 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Music to my ears.

“Hymer USA will feature a very different way of manufacturing not currently seen in the North American RV industry, including automated processes that will be implemented throughout design and assembly,” James said. “Products will benefit from the world-leading quality standards set by EHG and our new work environment will feature highly skilled team members collaborating directly with employees from EHG’s European operations while incorporating the speed to market for which Thor is well-regarded.”
The following are edited comments culled from a Thursday (Jan. 30) morning interview with Martin, who addressed some of the implications of Thor’s surprising Hymer USA announcement:
RVB: This is a big move most any way you look at it, further melding the production practices and product trends of the North American and European industries, isn’t it?
“For us, this has been something we’ve thought about ever since we started going down the path of acquiring — partnering — with an international company. The international products look different. They’re lighter weight and higher quality. The way they put them together is different than the way we do here. And it was very evident over the past few months as we’ve sent a lot of team members over to Europe and a lot European team members have come here that there is simply an opportunity to do something a little bit different.
“So, rather than take a European product and build it the way we do here — we build them more like a home in the States whereas EHG’s are more automotive in terms of cabinetry and things like that — we thought we’d adapt more of their products and building practices.”
Old 01-30-2020, 11:27 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I am looking forward to the options that this could produce. To me the big issue if one decided to buy a US-EuroHymer is when to purchase. Is it better to get one of the early builds from a new facility but operated by experienced builders. Or wait a couple years to get one from a more mature production line that would probably then be assembled by Thor "quality" inspired workers.
MobileCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:50 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileCabin View Post
I am looking forward to the options that this could produce. To me the big issue if one decided to buy a US-EuroHymer is when to purchase. Is it better to get one of the early builds from a new facility but operated by experienced builders. Or wait a couple years to get one from a more mature production line that would probably then be assembled by Thor "quality" inspired workers.

That is a very good, and tough to answer, question. Startups always have issues, that is a given. The big unknown is if the production will morph into mature euro style quality and workmanship or be "Americanized" into lower quality, high rate, production like the rest of Thor.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 12:27 AM   #8
Platinum Member

most european b's i've seen videos are not big on air conditioning or a/c run from batteries.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 01:20 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
most european b's i've seen videos are not big on air conditioning or a/c run from batteries.
Perhaps Hymer will bring Truma Saphir to NA, I almost bought a trailer with this AC option when we were contemplating purchasing one. Very quiet. Without shore power towing Tesla could work, a little more than Volta but good but, it is Li.

Old 01-31-2020, 03:16 PM   #10
Bronze Member

A game changer would be if the US MSRP was the same as the European MSRP.
PinIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 04:22 PM   #11
Platinum Member

The way Hymer mismanaged (or allowed mismanagement of) Roadtrek was highly unethical and/or incompetent. Thor doesn't have the best reputation for making good management decisions to bring about quality in RV products. Can both of these be overcome to produce quality RVs; I hope so.
peteco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 04:50 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilliams View Post
Hymer products produced in North America were all based on the German engineering models. The only North American products were the Roadtreks and the Roadtreks weren't really the reason for Hymer North America's failure. Basically Thor/Hymer has the same Erwin Hymer Group leadership under a different name.
The prior Erwin Hymer NA leadership structure had European ownership but North American management and legacy manufacturing procedures from Roadtrek. The legal and functional officers of EHGNA were:
  • CEO and President Jim Hammill
  • CFO Mark Weigel
  • COO Howard Stratton
Erwin Hymer Group in Europe had a long history of acquiring and successfully integrating other RV manufacturers including Dethleffs, Burstner, Laika, and Eldis without hint of scandal or quality failures. Whereas Roadtrek under Hammill had a record of quality issues and overhyped claims. The narrative that EHG somehow instigated financial impropriety and operational deficiencies into an otherwise spotless Roadtrek does not fit their industry history. However EHG certainly failed to adequately scrutinize their new Roadtrek based management team, and handed them an overly large credit limit.

The structure, and particularly management, of Hymer USA is quite different than the prior EHGNA / Roadtrek setup. Whether the end results are better remains to be proven.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:55 PM   #13
Platinum Member

People keep saying Hymer.

This is actually Thor being discussed here. Would be wise not to forget that.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:35 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:

This is the beginning of the interview with THOR CEO, see OP link: "THOR Industries, Inc. has announced the formation of a new subsidiary called Hymer USA"
Old 01-31-2020, 07:59 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Default Thor announces Hymer USA division

Quote:

Yes parent is Thor, but it will be Hymer USA. Just like Airstream is part of Thor.

https://www.hymer.com/us/en
Old 01-31-2020, 08:09 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Yes parent is Thor, but it will be Hymer USA. Just like Airstream is part of Thor.

https://www.hymer.com/us/en

and the difference is what?-it's still thor-
Old 02-06-2020, 10:08 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
he legal and functional officers of EHGNA wer
CEO and President Jim Hammill
CFO Mark Weigel
COO Howard Stratton
Lets be clear, Erwin Hymer Group was the sole owner of EHGNA, they created it as a vehicle for expansion into North America.They hired those guys and, not surprisingly, none of them were involved in the decision to bankrupt the company. Its possible they were the ones who came up with the idea for a massive expansion with a stable of Hymer European brands. Count me as skeptical.

And this is not just Thor. Thor now includes the top management of EHG who engineered the bankruptcy of EHGNA. They are starting with a clean slate, but its unlikely to stay that way.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:32 PM   #18

It will be interesting to see if the "Quality Standards' usually found in European vehicles carries through with Thor ownership.

My personal experience with Thor leads me to be very sceptical until proven wrong. Good luck with any of their vehicles.
Layton100@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 09:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Perhaps Hymer will bring Truma Saphir to NA, I almost bought a trailer with this AC option when we were contemplating purchasing one. Very quiet. Without shore power towing Tesla could work, a little more than Volta but good but, it is Li.

am Robert Ryan, sign in has gone bezerk. Scotty Gibbons I know he does a lot of RV YouTube videos in Australia. I volunteer at a Museum and I was showing visitors a selection of the Museums cars.one of the very interested visitors was Scotty and his wife. He suggested I should do what hedid
Robeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:49 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilliams View Post
Thor now includes the top management of EHG who engineered the bankruptcy of EHGNA. They are starting with a clean slate, but its unlikely to stay that way.
The financial improprieties of Roadtrek/EHGNA management, which was under the direct functional and legal control of CEO Jim Hammill, CFO Mark Weigel, and COO Howard Stratton, were uncovered during the Thor acquisition discovery period which was supervised by Ernst and Young accountants and Baker McKenzie LLP legal advisors. Thor managers and advisors would have been involved in the decision to exclude EHGNA from the Thor's acquisition due to suspected fraud, but not any decisions around the dispatch of EHGNA remains.

Bankruptcy decisions related to remaining EHGNA assets would have been made by the equity holders and their financial advisors Macquarie Capital and legal counsel Hengeler Mueller LP.

None of the legacy equity holders or their advisors are part of the current Thor operation.

These attempts to recast Roadtrek's management and financial problems as something other than the byproduct of Canadian con men are not supported by the facts or industry data.