Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2022, 12:21 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Westfalia returning to North America

Rapido Group is reintroducing Westfalia campervans into the US and Canadian markets beginning in 2023. Floorplans and designs are expected to closely follow their European counterparts, however systems will be upgraded to support Air conditioning, Lithium batteries and increased tank capacities. Westfalia production and marketing will be handled by Rapido's Roadtrek division in Cambridge Ontario.

According to Roadtrek CEO Dane Found the initial Westfalia model is planned for early 2023 release and will use spare capacity on assembly line #2 currently used for Roadtrek's Agile. Assuming the Westfalia brand is well received then additional models would be introduced and production would move to assembly line #3, currently idle.

Although Found didn't identify the initial North American model the possibilities are limited as only four of Westfalia's wide product line are based on vans sold in the US or Canada - the James Cook, Columbus, Amundsen, and Meridian. The latter two seem unlikely as Found has previously stated that Rapido is targeting upper level price points in North America and Amundsen is an entry level Ducato (Promaster) offering. Likewise Meridian uses the Ford Transit chassis that's not currently in Roadtrek's supply chain.

Westfalia has a storied history as upfitter of the original VW campervans from 1956 to 1991, and then briefly returning to the new world with the James Cook model marketed as Airstream Westfalia from 2004 to 2006. We'll look forward to seeing the latest incarnation.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 01:57 PM   #2
Platinum Member

They had been promising to eventually bring this model to the US again. Since they will be using the Agile line, that suggests that it will be built on the Sprinter at first.

They just added the Pivot to the Promaster group.

A shame that they couldn't have introduced these in the last couple years with the major market surge.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 04:51 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
Since they will be using the Agile line, that suggests that it will be built on the Sprinter at first.
I agree that James Cook, Westfalia's Sprinter based model, would be a great choice for the North American market. The Columbus (Ducato/Promaster) model is not really that much different than Roadtrek's new Pivot. Whereas the James Cook classic and HD units are unlike anything currently available here with their slide-out rear bedrooms and turtle-top option (HD).
https://www.westfalia-mobil.com/en/m...classic_en.php
Old 10-15-2022, 05:31 PM   #4
Gold Member

I'm not too impressed I think I'll keep my 97 Roadtrek it seems to be better laid out.
Old 10-16-2022, 03:44 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
Whereas the James Cook classic and HD units are unlike anything currently available here with their slide-out rear bedrooms and turtle-top option (HD).
https://www.westfalia-mobil.com/en/m...classic_en.php
I would be surprised if they do a rear slide-out option because Roadtrek had this in the past and it was not successful at all and it was dropped after a couple years.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 10-16-2022, 02:39 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
I would be surprised if they do a rear slide-out option because Roadtrek had this in the past and it was not successful at all and it was dropped after a couple years.
The original Airstream James Cook model of 2005-2006 did not have the slide out feature. But it was a unique van. I almost bought one. They only sold about 250 of them.

It was a short van. You had to climb to get into the bed but it was great sleeping under a skylight. Climbing probably is why they weren't very popular.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 02:44 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
The original Airstream James Cook model of 2005-2006 did not have the slide out feature. But it was a unique van. I almost bought one. They only sold about 250 of them.

It was a short van. You had to climb to get into the bed but it was great sleeping under a skylight. Climbing probably is why they weren't very popular.
We almost bought one, too. Our dealer had a Westy and an Interstate at the same price. We literally went back and forth between the two for like an hour. Ended up with the Interstate. The primary reason was that the Westy was incredibly top-heavy with correspondingly dodgy handling. On a curvy secondary road it was really quite bad. Looks were pretty bizarre, too, but we could have lived with that. Would have loved to buy a genuine Euro van back then, but we couldn't get past the handling.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 02:48 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post

I too looked at and pondered buying that van because I liked how short it was, but sooo high. The climb up to the bed seemed to be an issue that would increase with time and I didn't really like the industrial look interior or the fact that it didn't have a fridge/freezer... it had to be one or the other. lol
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 10-16-2022, 03:00 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
I too looked at and pondered buying that van because I liked how short it was, but sooo high. The climb up to the bed seemed to be an issue that would increase with time and I didn't really like the industrial look interior or the fact that it didn't have a fridge/freezer... it had to be one or the other. lol
Mmm, yes, I forgot about that fridge. That was definitely another issue. The high bed didn't bother us. Don't forget that the dinette also converted to a bed with no climbing. Worked pretty well IIRC.

We liked the hard-surface styling. Looked like it would hold up well. I wonder if that proved to be true...
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 07:09 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckRV View Post
I'm not too impressed I think I'll keep my 97 Roadtrek it seems to be better laid out.
I'm with you. I don't want a van that tries to look like the space station inside. Doesn't have to be luxurious, just warm and comfortable. Although "dated", yes it's true the older vans have better layouts, and are also typically made with better materials and workmanship.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 06:49 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Default Interview with Roadtrek CEO

This interview includes a discussion of the Westy plans for North America:

OregonTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 12:43 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Update: Rapido is now saying the first North American Westfalia models will be introduced at the annual Elkhart Indiana dealer show this month (Sept 2023).

Although full details have not been released the initial model apparently features a pop-top, which for North American markets usually means the Promaster chassis (due to center of gravity design concerns).

Westfalia NA website: https://westfalia-americas.com/
Old 01-09-2024, 05:26 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Default Westfalia Wave

Further details on the Westfalia Wave, the initial offering from Rapido's newest North American division, are now online at:
https://westfalia-americas.com/
Based on 21ft Promaster chassis it follows the common European campervan pattern of twin passenger seats behind the driver, galley across from cassette bath, then platform bed aft. It has been updated for North American sensibilities with lithium batteries (600ah), 3kw inverter and rooftop air conditioning.

Foldaway sections within the platform bed allow it to be configured either for maximum bed size or narrowing the bed width to provide a full height gear garage space in back. In either mode the under-platform storage area appears to be quite roomy and accessible.
Old 01-09-2024, 10:51 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
Further details on the Westfalia Wave, the initial offering from Rapido's newest North American division, are now online at:
https://westfalia-americas.com/
Based on 21ft Promaster chassis it follows the common European campervan pattern of twin passenger seats behind the driver, galley across from cassette bath, then platform bed aft. It has been updated for North American sensibilities with lithium batteries (600ah), 3kw inverter and rooftop air conditioning.

Foldaway sections within the platform bed allow it to be configured either for maximum bed size or narrowing the bed width to provide a full height gear garage space in back. In either mode the under-platform storage area appears to be quite roomy and accessible.
It will be interesting to see if pricing is tuned for retirees or young families. Staying at 30% window for negotiation could likely kill it for young families, I think. I bought two VW Westfalias from VW dealers, fixed prices, time for actual purchase was set by needed paperwork.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 08:45 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Pretty cool layout. Being able to sleep six is impressive, even though some of them may need to be of shorter/slimmer stature. The "mattress" in the front area looks super thin though. Of course, one can always add an air mattress.