Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Roadtrek Bike Crew

Registry
RV Name Roadtrek Bike Crew
Year 2000
Make Dodge 2500
Model 170 Popular
Length 18’1”
2000 Dodge 2500 170 Popular
2000 Dodge 2500 170 Popular 2000 Dodge 2500 170 Popular 2000 Dodge 2500 170 Popular
Basic Info Just purchased 3/27/2020, vehicle had 29,900 miles
My maiden voyage was a 1200 mile trek from Seattle, WA to Paso Robles, CA, to my home in Palm Springs, CA; I averaged 16/mpg
Exterior
2000 Dodge 2500 170 Popular Exterior
None

Interior
2000 Dodge 2500 170 Popular Interior
None

Renovations and Repairs
I would like to update the original, in mint condition radio, cassette, disc player, replace with a system that has a monitor for gps and backup camera, bluetooth, and wifi, usb connect.
I would also like to remove the new, hardly used Panasonic tv and VCR, use that space for a plugin freezer.
I also would like to incorporate solar panels, so my house battery is constantly maintained.

Favorite Camping Destinations
Last time I camped, was when was a boy scout, only ever camped in Texas, like Big Bend National park. I had a great, demanding career in business management, and the only other thing I enjoyed doing was road biking. Now that I have time to do what I want, I want to explore the country, and ride my bike. I have a home in Palm Springs, great November to May, but then too hot to bike, so here I am.
Comments: 7 / Views: 1295
Old 04-16-2020, 08:45 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Congrats on getting such a great find! That's amazing that it's in such great shape and such low miles!

I have a couple of questions for you. I plan to take a hybrid bike with me when I retire in a couple of years and am just wondering how you plan to transport your bike. Will you just use a hitch rack? I would like to keep mine covered so it doesn't get dirty from being exposed to the elements all of the time.

My second question concerns your radio/cassette/CD player. I would love to buy that from you after you replace it. I like to listen to audiobooks while driving, and I have books on cassette tapes as well as CDs. I'm also really used to that model of radio/player because I've had 3 Dodge Grand Caravans and 3 Class B's all with the same model. LOL. I have a 1999 190 Popular, and the bass has gone out on the front speakers. Guess I'm assuming it's the radio/player anyway.

Enjoy your new ride!!

Pam
Pam G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 01:35 AM   #3

Hi Pam,
Thanks for your observations, yes I am quite blessed, have been shopping since last October for a find just like this. The bike is fine on a rack outside your vehicle, providing the bike is locked at all times, at night best to bring inside the cabin; if you can afford to let it sit in the asile while driving, even better to protect from the elements. Ok, i will take some Detail pics of radio, and get back to you. Gerard
gerards8630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 07:44 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Thanks, Gerard! I did put my bike inside the cabin once but found it a bit awkward trying to get it in. I have a hybrid bike so it has the wide handlebars. I'm planning to full-time in my Roadtrek after I retire and also want to take some limited obedience and agility equipment with me and exercise pens for my dogs, so I'm still undecided what to do. Thinking about possible little trailer or something.

I'll wait to hear back on you about the radio. No rush since I'm not traveling right now. Thanks!

Pam
Old 04-23-2020, 12:16 AM   #5

Actually, I read that on another post, towing a trailer, purposely designed for carrying items too cumbersome for the cab; makes a lot of sense. My neighbor offered me a Thule bike rack, with ample construction able to support an electric bike or two, but it would have to slide into an under bumper trailer hitch, my van is not outfitted for such.
gerards8630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 02:41 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Mine has a hitch, but one of the members on here said that the 1990's Dodge chassis has a unibody, and you have to be careful about putting too much weight on the hitch. I was thinking about getting a Stowaway Cargo Carrier with the Swing Away design, and someone else posted how they had made adjustments to the hitch so it was attached in more places to make it more solid. I don't think I've describing this the best, but what they were saying basically made me concerned about getting a Stowaway. They've said the Chevy chassis doesn't have that problem. So I've gotten the impression that a trailer would be better and would work okay. I'd rather not have to deal with a trailer though.
Old 04-23-2020, 03:41 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam G View Post
Mine has a hitch, but one of the members on here said that the 1990's Dodge chassis has a unibody, and you have to be careful about putting too much weight on the hitch.
Wondering whether that applies to all models or only the extended body van? The OP’s is a regular length van, but the large majority of Class B’s are built on the extended version.

Just curious...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 02:02 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Oh, that's a possibility. I have a 190 so I do have the extended van. Your 170 might handle better in the wind too. There's been a lot of discussion about the Dodge's being difficult in wind. They do get buffeted around. There's been a lot of posts about that. I plan to get Bilstein shocks, like they recommend. There are some other things that people have suggested doing too, which I plan to look in to.