Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2024, 12:18 AM   #1

Default AGM to Lifepo4 - Roadtrek zion 2018

Hey friends.

I decided to swap out my old AGM 12V house battery with a Lifepo4 12V 100ah battery. The 2000W inverter/charger (can't find a brand name) doesn't have a lifepo4 setting, so i changed it to a "gel european" setting that has the Charge V (14.4V) and Float V (13.eight) similar to what i've seen recommended on the net for lifepo4. Is this ok?

Hoping for a sanity check from this community. It's also possible that the inverter/charger is not compatible at all. Will have to do the same for the solar controller. Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6770.jpg (109.5 KB, 33 views)
Goozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 02:14 AM   #2
Platinum Member

An AGM setting might be compatible too.
Old 04-24-2024, 12:05 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Can't help with the main question. That looks like a Rubitech unit, may find more info if you can track down the mfg user manual.
Old 04-26-2024, 12:42 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goozer View Post
Hey friends.

I decided to swap out my old AGM 12V house battery with a Lifepo4 12V 100ah battery. The 2000W inverter/charger (can't find a brand name) doesn't have a lifepo4 setting, so i changed it to a "gel european" setting that has the Charge V (14.4V) and Float V (13.eight) similar to what i've seen recommended on the net for lifepo4. Is this ok?

Hoping for a sanity check from this community. It's also possible that the inverter/charger is not compatible at all. Will have to do the same for the solar controller. Thoughts?
Many chargers can be used for LiFePO4, they just do not charge them fully or in record time. One option is to top it off to fullness via solar. My GoPower SCC has a Li setting, check yours.

Another thing to keep in mind when swapping is that Li batteries accept higher charge current, so you may have to check the BIM or whatever controls how the alternator charges the battery during driving, you know, to not burn up the alternator.
Old 04-26-2024, 01:24 AM   #5
Platinum Member

That lfp will not like longa absorb charging, I have mine at set at 14.4 volts and absorption time of 10 minutes. I have float set at 13.25 so as not to stress the batteries. 12.8 on a long term float is detrimental to a long service life.

I'm not sure where you found anyone recommending 13.8 for a lfp, everything I see is 13.4 or less being preferable or no float.

These batteries are not flooded L/A, AGM, or Gel. they have their own preferred(for longer life) settings. It's been a bit weird unlearning L/A properties and learning lfp preferences.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 07:19 PM   #6

Thanks all. Appreciate the input. I changed the charge and float specs based on the inverter company’s recommendation for lifepo4 (charge volt -14.0, float 13.7).

Unfortunately, the battery drained completely overnight. I removed the house battery again and will test to see if it keeps a charge. If I rule out a faulty battery, it’s either a setting, systems incompatibility or something else faulty in my electrical system.

See attached photo. Does anyone have an idea what this is (the metal casing with the positive and negative going to it)? One time I left the inverter on by accident and the van floor above this “module” felt hot. Wonder if this is something that could be damaged.

Thanks again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6786.jpg (325.4 KB, 29 views)
Goozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 10:41 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I assume that you have the 2nd alternator/underhood generator. With lithiums they come with a balmar controller, not the built in that comes with the AGMs. You may want to discuss this with Nations Starter who made this for Roadtrek.

There are a few people who have done this switch over the Facebook Zion/Simplicity owners group. I believe that there are also instruction in their file section.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote