Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2024, 11:21 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Lithium battery warranties list by brand/model

I think a bit of a listing of what people are finding for warranties currently when they research and/or purchase lithium batteries might be useful for many shoppers going forward.

Warranties are changing a lot these days from the long ones of the past, it appears. I did a random look at a few listings for batteries to look at the warranties and was somewhat surprised the very many of them now list the tried and true warranty dodge of "defects in manufacturing" or similar terms, with a bunch of the specifically stating the warranty didn't cover a predicted usable life at all. They basically can say that if they don't find a manufacturing defect, and they get to determine if there is one or not, you are out of luck as how long it's life was doesn't count. It is really starting to look like the real world life on lithium is not all that long, although still longer than AGM by possibly twice as long or so. Especially with the now lower prices, warranty claims must be killing profits.

I had thread asking about how the Volta batteries were performing over time that was posted a while ago, and in the process of looking at Volta noticed who tightly they controlled the warranty term in areas like time and number and depth of charge cycles. Compared to many early claims for lithium in general the warranty was quite short.

Another user has a discussion going on about some Li3 possible problems and when on the Lithionics site I checked their warranty terms. Like many others it is not even close to what claims were a couple of years ago, but probably better than some others currently are.

Here is the gist of the warranty which is kind of interesting because they actually tell you how they determine warranty claims and the link to the whole thing.

https://www.getlithium.com/1-2022-Li...-Rev-07(1).pdf

Quote:
What Type of Warranty Does Lithionics Battery Offer?
-Our warranty is OBJECTIVE because it is both time based and usage based, and the consumer is able to
monitor usage on the BMS APP. Our warranty empowers the consumer, not the seller.
-Simply stated, it is a both warranty against manufacturing defects for 5 years, and, a guarantee of amp-hour
usage. What does this mean and how does this benefit the consumer?
-All iron phosphate cells are tested for cycle life via a 100 percent full depth of discharge at room temperature,
and will deliver 2000 cycles minimum. EXAMPLE: a 315 amp hour battery X 2000 cycles = 630,000 amp hours
of use. It is similar to an odometer. Counting individual cycles is not useful and does not protect the
consumer. Therefore, if your APP reports 300,000 amp-hours on the display, you are about half-way through
your useful battery “throughput” of power. If a battery fails at 300,000 amp-hours for a manufacturing defect,
then, the consumer knows exactly what his-her prorated credit should be. This is why our warranty is more
valuable than other warranties because it has objective values the consumer can see. This is called TOTAL
CONSUMED on the APP.
-Other factors affecting cycle life: our APP continuously records 2 more key factors that affect total life. These
are:
AGING FACTOR TEMP: the amount of time the battery is operated at high temperatures. The embedded
algorithm is a sliding scale that adjusts for actual temperatures.
AGING FACTOR SOC: the amount of time the battery sits at full charge and non-use. All batteries will lose
small amount of life if they sit fully charged for long periods of time with no periodic cycling. The loss has been
measured by some researchers to be 3 percent of capacity loss per 6 months of high State of Charge storage.
See page 2 for how the APP monitors the 3 measured conditions listed above.
Contact Lithionics Battery for our actual Warranty Statement document.

So, if you know of any warranty terms please list them for others who may be shopping and for the rest of us to see how the manufacturers are currently looking at the predicted life of their batteries. I think it may be very interesting to see all in one place.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 11:37 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Our SOK batteries from Current Connect were shown as 7 year warranty with Current Connect extending to 10 years but none of it was available in writing as CC said they do the keeping track of it so "not needed". In my world that is a huge red flag and I went into it with the attitude that there basically was no warranty, especially when you have to pay to ship it to them to determine if they will do anything.

The warranty does have the "manufacturing defects only" disclaimer so may be very hard to enforce.

Here is the link to the current warranty which is more specific that it was in the past.

https://www.us.sokbattery.com/warranty
Old 05-04-2024, 12:24 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Battleborn is still pretty popular, although the pricing seems to be hurting them in the marketplace. Their warranties now exclude "normal wear and tear" so they probably could deny almost anything if they wanted to.

Here is a link to the 10 year warranty they have, the 5 year is similar.

https://battlebornbatteries.com/wp-c...ty-01.2024.pdf
Old 05-09-2024, 04:02 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Always excellent info Booster!

I have a $200k Box Truck now but at times miss the size* & convenience of the Class B. Included a picture of both formats from a year ago.

*if parking was restricted in the Class B, in a Box Truck it's even more problematic with the extra height at 12.25 feet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230930_140832.jpg (212.4 KB, 13 views)
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 10:36 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I have been looking for a couple basic lithium batteries for the update to the 2015 Agile. After looking over too much marketing PR I have started to narrow down to something like a Lion Safari battery with their limited lifetime warranty. What does that mean...from their website (https://support.lionenergy.com/files...20200514.pdf):

The warranty for the Safari UT 1300 is extended to the original purchaser or user and
it covers defects in materials and workmanship. The warranty is a limited lifetime
warranty of the battery cells, rated at 80% of the capacity (105Ah x .8 = 84Ah), meaning when its capacity is down to 80%. Under extreme use (maximum charge and discharge rates) the battery cells expected life cycle is 3500. That means if you use the battery every day and discharge it nearly 100% it would take approximately 10 years to get the battery cells to 80% capacity. What about using it every other day – 20 years; every three days – 30 years and so on. At “normal usage” the expected life cycles will be greater.

They also list some comparison with other brands that includes warranties (https://lionenergy.com/products/lion...i-ut-1300-bt-h). I tried to list the table but this site did not allow.
MobileCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 11:48 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileCabin View Post
I have been looking for a couple basic lithium batteries for the update to the 2015 Agile. After looking over too much marketing PR I have started to narrow down to something like a Lion Safari battery with their limited lifetime warranty. What does that mean...from their website (https://support.lionenergy.com/files...20200514.pdf):

They also list some comparison with other brands that includes warranties (https://lionenergy.com/products/lion...i-ut-1300-bt-h). I tried to list the table but this site did not allow.
Those are really spendy, 4 times more expensive than my LiTime 100AH trolling motor edition with low temp charging cut off that we bought recently. No heater, though.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote