Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2024, 10:05 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Chassis battery disconnect switch for RT06P190

My engine battery has a parasitic drain on it, and I found out the hard way that letting it sit for ~ 4 weeks without starting will completely drain the battery. I'm thinking the simple answer is to add a switch at the battery to disconnect it when not in use. My battery has the screw in terminals on the side, as opposed to the common (for all my other vehicles) posts on the top.

any recommendations, either for a part or simple hunting down the parasitic drain? Obviously there's taking fuses out one at a time that would begin to isolate, but 1/2 my fuses are under the front seat.

For reference, the van was driven last week, and the chassis battery was 12.5X. Now its 12.33. The house battery is at 12.82
sbslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 02:38 PM   #2
Gold Member

This was my solution from Amazon:

Side Post Battery Master Disconnect Switch
Brand: GAMA Electronics
GroupB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 04:29 PM   #3
Bronze Member

I will give that a shot, thank you!
Old 05-16-2024, 04:30 PM   #4

Make sure that nothing is plugged into the 12V accessory outlets. For Chevys, close the driver's door last to shut down the engine computer. I've heard that for Dodges you must rotate the headlight switch completely clockwise when storing. Also, make sure that the under-hood or storage bay lights are off. We keep a trickle charger on the battery when the van is not in use.
ConradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 06:52 PM   #5

There's several computers in your vehicle that always have power, even with the ignition switch off (the radio, key fob receiver, ignition module, ...). Any vehicle will drain a battery when it sits too long. I use a battery maintainer to keep my chassis battery charged.
davef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 12:12 AM   #6
Bronze Member

Thanks for the tips.

I ended up buying the Gama Electronics side post switch. It is functional. But it seems like the threads on it are not the same as what is on my battery and the screws on the terminals, which are built in. The van was first sold in Canada, so I'm wondering if the bolt is metric? I've not done tons of research yet, but I think it would be hard to find a metric post vs english post battery. Is this even possible? The van is a 2006, so its not the factory battery. I can find no information on the terminal threads other than side post. Of course, there is no post, just a threaded hole to screw in the battery cable.