Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-18-2008, 11:05 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default hurricane IKE

Thought I'd report from 40 miles north of Houston, ref Ike..

We lost power on the 12th and just got it back around midnight 17/18th) - lost water supply (intermittently) due to no diesel to run emergency well pumps.

I started my Van's Onan 2800w generator when we lost power and used it to run 1 fridge, an upright freezer and 1 lamp (didn't want to risk overload). Also ran the Van's TV but really didn't watch much - we knew what was (and wasn't) going on..

That little generator performed superbly for about 5 day straight, 24 hours a day. I was able to get a 6.5kw stand-alone generator (another Onan) on loan from a relative so hooked that up and shut down the Van. Gave me an opportunity to do an oil change for the 2.8kw.

Had to get fuel in Bryan/College Station, about an hour from here. Still no fresh produce, meat, eggs and just got milk today (also fuel locally - $353.9 at WalMart - good on ya WalMart).

We finally got power back last night around midnight - and water (the "deal breaker" that would have driven us out) - and internet this afternoon.

Ike was one bad dude - lots of damage - lots of folks killed - we were lucky.

Life is now good again - thank you Onan.....
Whiskyecho is offline   Reply With Quote