Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2020, 03:36 PM   #1

Default Need Awning Help

I am trying to decide between Fiamma, Care Free, Thule, ARB. I haven't really done much research but knew I would get some opinions here and user recommendations. it does not have to be electric but I want a free-standing "batwing" type with no poles. Maybe that is not a good decision?

Transit 350 extended high roof.
bettervans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 06:45 PM   #2

Default awnings

Hi there, I have a Fiamma without arms, with wind sensors etc and I am totally unimpressed. The first drop of rain makes it withdraw. One can not sit outside under a gentle rain and personally I would stay manual if I had known about the automatic awnings when I purchased our Pleasureway Plateau TS.
Cheers Roger BC
rsmitch2@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:01 PM   #3
Bronze Member

I have a Dometic 9500 Case/Casette Manual on a 2014 Roadtrek Ranger RT. There is no arm. The previous owner paid "extra" for this awning versus the original awning with arm. I personally do not like this Dometic 9500 as it is too flimsy for my liking. As soon as there is a bit of wind, you have to rush to retract the awning. Also, as the awning stays horizontal, it is a PITA to properly cleaning it.
habsfan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 09:24 PM   #4

My old Airstream Bambi had a manual awning with legs that could be clipped to the side or anchored into the ground. I kept hitting my head on the legs so wasn't;t too keen on it at the time.
My Airstream Interstate had an electric legless Fiamma that retracted at the slightest puff of wind and I imagined the amount of leverage on the attachment was potentially able to do some extensive damage. But one day I used it and the gears stripped on retraction and I had no means of getting up there to wind it in manually. Lucky for me I was able to flag down a passing truck and he let me to stand on his bed while I wound it in.
My current vehicle is back to a manual CareFree with legs that attach to the body. I've decided this is the best option for me since the legs do provide a lot of support if it's windy. But I do now carry a telescopic ladder just in case!
UKDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 09:57 PM   #5
Bronze Member

UKDude, I agree with you that having awning legs attaching to the body is probably the best option (I know I wish I had that option..!)
habsfan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 10:14 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Fiamma F45 on my 2006 Pleasureway

legs drop to ground or to clips on the body ( better when breezy)

we try to camp/park under shadey trees, but when we can't the awning is handy

it's manual; less expensive, less to break

replacement parts available ( gowesty.com for me)
mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 10:33 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Fiamma 45 on our RT210, Easy to operate, easy to clean and maintain, never had a problem with it and parts if needed are readily available right from the manufacturer in Orlando, Florida
RAA357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 11:50 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettervans View Post
I am trying to decide between Fiamma, Care Free, Thule, ARB. I haven't really done much research but knew I would get some opinions here and user recommendations. it does not have to be electric but I want a free-standing "batwing" type with no poles. Maybe that is not a good decision?

Transit 350 extended high roof.
I have had Fiamma and Carefree. i hated them both. The arms are delicate and want to jam. I recently started using a Moonshade and love it. It weighs 7 lbs and can be rigged in just a few minutes. It attaches to the van with either magnets or suction cups and you can put it over the back doors, as well.
ableami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 02:05 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I agree with other responses - we have an electric legless Fiamma awning on our Pleasureway Plateau.

I will say that we have not had any problems with it (yet) but the whole design seems so flimsy that I really have to "Baby it" at all times, unlike the much more substantial "Zipdee" awning we had on our Airstream trailer.

When I ordered the Pleasureway from the factory, I did ask if I could buy the motorhome with a manual awning that had legs - so it would be more stable and I could slope the awning fore and aft for rain runoff in medium rain fall as I had always done with our travel trailers - quite pleasant at times sitting out or even cooking in a little rain.

I was told PW could not accomodate custom orders due to difficulties in keeping up with demand for their products.

I will admit it is nice not to have to worry about walking into support arms, and also to just push a button to put the thing in and out - but I still wish I had something more substantial, and if I ever have to replace this awning, that is exactly what I will try to get.

It seems to me that with as little living space as we have in our class B motorhomes, you really want to improve as much outdoor living space as you can - and that would suggest having the most robust awning you can, not the flimsiest!

What are builders thinking?!
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 06:26 PM   #10
Platinum Member

It's not on your list, but I recently installed a Shady Boy awning on my 2004 C190P. It's lightweight, is easy to deploy, and is a nice size. Like adding any awning to a van, building the anchor points behind the fiberglass top took some real work. https://www.shadyboy.com/. I can post some pictures if anyone wants them.
Old 01-01-2021, 06:26 PM   #11
Platinum Member

I’m into new build and plan to go manual just like what was on our old Pleasure Way and Westfalia. Both had manual cranks and legs that could be either on side of vehicle or on ground. The front arm we usually put some flagging tape to remind us it was there anytime we deployed the arms back to the vehicle.
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:21 PM   #12
Platinum Member

We have Fiamma F65, manual with legs. We use it often and would go again with most likely manual awning or perhaps electric with legs. I attached legs lower mounts to the van without screws to prevent common place for corrosion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZGR61041.jpg (710.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg GR150142.jpg (831.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg GR150143.jpg (710.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg GR150144.jpg (559.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg GR150146.jpg (421.4 KB, 5 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote