Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2016, 08:13 PM   #361
Platinum Member

Also thanks, you have definitely filled in the gaps in the information we had before. It is also very good news for anyone with, or considering, a 9200 series PD, as it will let them get their batteries to full when needed, if they also have a battery monitor.

PD uses different stage terms than most others, though. I think the boost (14.4v) mode would include the bulk and absorption stages in the more common terms, the normal stage is an elevated float voltage at 13.6v to finish off the charge if needed, and the storage mode is a low end float voltage to minimize damage and water use.

At 3 hours in boost, you were close to the 4 hours PD lists in their charge profile, and it will probably stay in normal for quite a bit longer than that if the profile is a good predictor.

Great information.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:24 AM   #362
Platinum Member

Ok, I'll use PD's terminology. Yesterday I used the pendant to put the charger into Boost mode where it remained for about 3 hours. The converter had been plugged in for a least a week before I installed the pendant.

After being in Boost mode for 3 hours it entered Normal mode and stayed there for 22 hours. It is now in Storage mode where it will remain.

Eric

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:21 AM   #363
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
Ok, I'll use PD's terminology. Yesterday I used the pendant to put the charger into Boost mode where it remained for about 3 hours. The converter had been plugged in for a least a week before I installed the pendant.

After being in Boost mode for 3 hours it entered Normal mode and stayed there for 22 hours. It is now in Storage mode where it will remain.

Eric
Thanks, Eric, that's is what I thought you saying, but wanted to be sure. It sounds like the forcing puts it into the standard charge profile, at the stage you chose, which is perfect IMO. Like their terminology, the PD profile is also quite different than most other chargers, but it certainly does have some advantages, like the low voltage storage mode and periodic short boost.

Do you have a battery monitor on you system?
Old 04-29-2016, 12:35 PM   #364
Platinum Member

No, I don't have a monitor. My needs don't justify a Trimetric or Victron but I am considering one or the other of these.

Bayite Monitor

or

Elite.element

I'm liking the second one because I don't think the first one measures both charge and discharge.

Anyway, today's experiment: I will unplug the coach from the house current then plug it back in. That should put the charger back in boost mode. I will then force it into Storage mode using the pendant. My suspicion is that it will remain there forever until I unplug or use the pendant to change its status.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:53 PM   #365
Platinum Member

The Elite one looks like it covers pretty much what most people would need. We rarely would use anything beyond amps, volts, and amp hours. Amp hours should be resettable, but it doesn't say much about the actual functions in the ebay list. A lot of the stuff in a Trimetric, and even more so in the Victron, are things most people would never use.

I would also bet that if you put it into storage mode, it will just sit there forever, with the occasional boosts.

With the control from the pendant, and the meter to read amps, you will be able to very accurately control your charging, with just a little manual input.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:37 PM   #366
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
No, I don't have a monitor. My needs don't justify a Trimetric or Victron but I am considering one or the other of these.

Bayite Monitor

or

Elite.element

I'm liking the second one because I don't think the first one measures both charge and discharge.
If you get the Elite, please post back on how it goes. I had looked up some less expensive battery monitors and this name does pop up a lot. Mixed reviews - generally the quality looks good, but some have had (1) it did work at all and/or (2) difficult to calibrate and/or (3) stability issues, i.e. wildly fluctuating readings. Others have no problems/issues and are happy with it.

I bit the bullet and went with the Victron, which, so far, I am quite pleased with. It does have many functions that I don't need (like triggering relays) but it was simple to install, calibrate and use. Found the BMV-700 on sale for around $160.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:20 PM   #367
Platinum Member

Default Solar on 59K?

How is the standard solar install working on the Travato 59K?

On the K, the AC unit is shifted back vs the G. It's in the center of the roof. The factory installed 100 W solar panel appears to be mounted close to the surface, right behind the AC. Unless you were pointed dead north or at high noon, this panel would certainly be shaded by the AC shroud. I read a small amount of shading can degrade or even shut down the whole panel. It seems this positioning would significantly interfere with the system's output. Is this set up working fine anyway?

There's not much real estate up there though. If this issue is real, would mounting the panel up as high as top the AC unit be a solution? Raised up, can a panel be mounted securely enough?

Seems like the compressor fridge on the K could benefit from a proper solar boost, but I'm not convinced the factory solar setup is effective just looking at it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg travagoK_roof.jpg (59.2 KB, 19 views)
Saldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:01 PM   #368
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

On the Facebook Travato page, haven't heard any complaints about battery issues with the K. That fridge only draws 4.4 amps when it's running.
Some are installing the long, thin panels down the side of the roof to supplement the WGO installed one. 80 watts I believe on those

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:51 PM   #369
Platinum Member

it works fine in this position and has no trouble keeping ahead of the refrigerator.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:08 PM   #370
Platinum Member

It's good news the factory panel does well for the fridge. Thanks. And I'm glad to note you're from SC, Wincrasher. Most of the happy solar posters I've read seem to frequent shadeless deserts. I'm in NC.

BTW, did you put a trimetric battery monitor in a Travago? Was it hard to add a module near/in the control panel area? (Does it come apart??)
Old 06-29-2016, 10:50 PM   #371
Platinum Member

Wincrasher, I came across your Travago blog articles. Your photo-documentation of the innards provides a great sense of how fitting a new module like a Trimetric into a Travago might work. Thanks for posting all that information.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:44 AM   #372

I like the way you're thinking. One challenge that I don't see a way around right off is that your night-time aisle will be obstructed by the wheel well.
waltbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:58 AM   #373
Platinum Member

I am confused as to why the 59K layout is so popular.

We found the twin beds too high to sit on like a couch and the front section with the small tables a bit strange... Like sitting in front of the TV with those old tray tables... We liked the open feeling with all the windows but really really wanted the twin beds to be lower so it didn't feel like sitting on a bed with your feet dangling. We wish it was a comfortable couch. If it were more comfortable as a settee we would most likely buy one.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:30 AM   #374
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyne View Post

We found the twin beds too high to sit on like a couch and the front section with the small tables a bit strange... Like sitting in front of the TV with those old tray tables... We liked the open feeling with all the windows but really really wanted the twin beds to be lower so it didn't feel like sitting on a bed with your feet dangling. We wish it was a comfortable couch. If it were more comfortable as a settee we would most likely buy one.
Agreed. The 59G is a better layout.
Jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:41 AM   #375
Platinum Member

The G layout has its own set of issues at the front with the water tank pass. side and the table location it's awkward going to the front. I wish Winnebago would go with the typical layout with a side bath and rear forward facing couch ( Zion and Lexor). I see the different needs for the K and the G but a standard layout would be awesome in this price range.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:44 AM   #376
Platinum Member

Quote:
The G layout has its own set of issues at the front with the water tank pass. side and the table location it's awkward going to the front. I wish Winnebago would go with the typical layout with a side bath and rear forward facing couch ( Zion and Lexor). I see the different needs for the K and the G but a standard layout would be awesome in this price range.
The G is the "standard layout" when you consider the 20 plus brands doing B vans in Europe.
Jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:54 AM   #377
Platinum Member

Yes the G layout is very similar to the European front lounge style layout except for the water tank on the passenger side that is in the foot path to the front. It is a bit confining IMO. If you look at the European layouts they don't have the tank/seat at the door.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:35 AM   #378
Silver Member

Quote:

The dealer where we bought our 59K had both the G and K versions parked side by side. We originally planned on getting the 59G until we had the chance to go back and forth between the two. Ultimately, two things convinced us to get the 59K.
1. We found the open interior of the 59K much nicer, which would be important if we were stuck inside due to the weather.
2. The bed on the 59G is narrow, and not very convenient if one of us has to make a midnight bathroom run, especially for the person sleeping nearest to the van exterior. This was a major issue for us.

The bathroom on the 59K is slightly bigger, although that wasn't a deciding factor. Initially, I thought that the rear bathroom on the 59K was an odd design with the rear van doors as part of the bathroom. However, it is really convenient to be able to open the rear doors and scrub the bathroom clean from the outside! I also prefer the simplicity of having the shower drain by gravity instead of by pump.

We added some pillows to make the one of the 59K beds more like a couch. The table that was added to the 2017 version is also useful.
gk&hc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:39 PM   #379
Platinum Member

Lay outs of course, are highly personal. That's why some folks just build from scratch.
I owned a standard roof height sportsmobile years ago, with a layout similar to the Travato K. I always thought it was great for one person (except for the constant crouching), but anything past that, it was only good as a driver, and not a sleeper. It was inconvenient to access the bathroom while the other was sleeping, and there was no good place for one to get up and move around should the other want to stay in bed.
I originally thought the G was too "cramped" feeling (though it is a HUGE improvement over traditional vans no matter how you look at it), but I needed the ability to sleep 3, and even 4 people at times.. We ended up buying a G and it is serving even better than we ever expected. The crowded feeling goes away quickly when get a routine and realize if one person is moving around, its best that the others be seated whenever possible.
It easily sleeps and accommodates 3, and even 4 in a pinch. We have a 10 year old who only sets up the drivers side "half" of the dinette bed, and uses the drivers side chair swiveled in reverse for her feet; this leaves the water tank seat, and the rotated passenger seat available for late night or early morning, for another passengers use (that would be me, drinking my coffee). We ALL find we LOVE the big table for a multitude of uses; Me for doing Artwork, Wifey for Cooking, 10 year old for being able to spread out her "stuff" while driving, and all of us for computer use, eating, and playing games. We nearly always leave the back bed down, and can have several large totes plus outside chairs, easels, fishing poles, rugs, etc stored under it. If you get too carried away packing stuff in, it's nice to have the bed fold up and away to get at it all.
It really couldnt work any better for our situation, and even if I didn't have the 3rd or 4th passenger requirement, we would still opt for the G. BUT, like I said; lay outs are highly personal.
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 09:26 PM   #380
Platinum Member

Default 2017.5 model Travato

The 2017.5 version of the Travato is available. It has an auto closing awning that appears longer than the 2017 awning, a light on the exterior passenger side (toward the back), and a standard running board on the passenger side with a small cab step on the driver side (the motorized sliding door step is an alternative option), and in the G there is now a cubby above the stereo.

The racks have changed to be like those on the new Paseo or 4x4 concept van. The new ladder is moveable, and the bike rack "rails" collapse to the width of the door.

I've seen only one with all the changes advertised for sale so far. At Johnsonrv.com (Stock# 10454) they appear to offer a G 2017.5 model, and you can see the changes in the photos. The fitRV also have a good video of the newest G.