Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2016, 11:48 PM   #1
Silver Member

I'll have to think of something for the windows. I'm thinking something thicker with magnet strips to hold it on (I'm thinking the back doors).

I have been in contact with the support people at heatline.com. Very helpful if you're interested. They told me that for normal RV pressure piping (PEX or metal) running their Kompensator product along the line's length and wrapping with foam insulation is more than sufficient. The product is self temperature regulating. They did say for the 1 1/2 to 2 inch under floor piping, you have to wrap the Kompensator around the pipes between 2 and 3 feet per foot of pipe depending on how cold it gets. Everything has to be wrapped in pipe insulation to be effective. They also have valve heaters for the gray and black valves. I have only seen Ultraheat.com tank heaters, and they strongly recommend insulating the tanks. I'm thinking to spray them with closed cell foam. I have 2" of it on my basement walls - you could heat the room with a candle. I'll keep you posted on my progress - of course after I receive the van.
Cannuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 12:09 AM   #2
Silver Member

I requested today that Roadtrek swap the Girard water heater for the Truma Aquago Comfort Plus with the hot water loop. Thanks for that suggestion. That should not only keep the heater and hot water lines warm, but also save on water wasted waiting for hot water at the tap. I should hear their response by Monday.

I did a little reading on compressors or pumps for blowing out the water lines when you want to play it save, or cut back on power consumption from line heating. Its interesting that people reference high pressure compressors and dial pressure back to 40 or 50 psi. I would have thought a high volume low pressure (around 5 psi max) would do a better job. I had a special pump for blowing up my Zodiac that I expect would have done a great job. I blow out my pool's 2" lines with my ShopVac and it does a great job with high volume low pressure air. I went a little crazy and was thinking of plumbing an air pump or compressor right into the plumbing and operating it via a control panel switch and a couple solenoid valves. Just walk from tap to tap (the Zion only has 2 taps and the toilet) to release the water / air. Should only take a minute.

I agree with posters on the shower. Too much moisture in the air. A sponge bath is more likely if its good and cold out.

Solutions for window coverings would be appreciated.
Cannuck is offline   Reply With Quote