Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-29-2012, 12:07 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Default Re: Wheel offsets, particularly Roadtrek Chevy

I have recently been looking into wheels, for a few reasons. Maybe I can solve a couple problems at the same time.

I want to change tires to a tire that can carry our load, without heating up so much. With the factory tires, our pressure gets up to 90psi; an increase of 10psi. Research suggests a tire with proper load carrying ability, should only warm up enough to cause a maximum of 4psi pressure increase. The factory 245/75R16 only has a 3000# rating @ 80 psi. Our rig weighs 5400# on the rear axle. That is 90% of the tire's max load capacity.

Note: The 16" X 7" AR-23 wheel (Roadtrek installed) is also only a 3042# load rated wheel.

Photos of the back of one of my wheels.

The 16" tires that can easily handle this load are slightly larger (265/75R16 or 285/75R16). These have 3400# & 3700# ratings @ 80psi.

These larger tires also need a 8"-9" wide wheel.

The next best tires fit on 18" wheels, also needing 8"-9" wide wheels.

The aluminum wheel options typically have a zero offset or -6mm offset. I did find one that has a +18mm offset (only 3/8" out from factory). It is not my first choice in "style"; but it should work well. http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findWh ... &rc=WASINT

Buy one of these for the spare also, and modify the carrier to fit.

We are also starting to lose a front hub bearing (18,000 miles). In researching the replacement options, there is a wheel bearing assembly for under 10,000 pounds GVWR and one for over 10,000 pounds GVWR. I measured the parts on the R/T and they seem to be the larger (over 10,000#) size. I will be replacing both front bearings with the 10k#+ bearings, soon. Which brand (Timken or ???)?
2014 Honda CR-V
1965 Dodge Coronet 440
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote