Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2018, 11:06 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default 1996 Dodge Roadtrek Captain's Chairs.... Want them?

Hi All,

Last year I posted some very long posts about my journey to remove the musty odor of the 1996 Dodge Roadtrek I had purchased. With only 25,000 miles it was worth my time to strip the walls and replace as much as possible.

I finally got to the point where I could still smell some mustiness from the front seats (the skylight windows had been leaking). So, I pulled them out and replaced them with some chairs from a Dodge Caravan.

The two seats I pulled out are in excellent physical condition. They still have the front/back sliders on, but not the swivel base which I re-used. They are the blue color from that year.

I have them up here in New Hampshire and due to their odor, I'm never going to use them. *Some* people can't smell this particular smell, but it makes me sneeze.

If you are interested in them, just PM me. It would be nice to get $50 for the two. But, if they're not sold in a month, they'll be free. I live about 25 miles from the intersection of I-91 and I-89.

If you don't care about the smell, or want to strip the foam and use the frames, maybe they can be of use to you. Caution: I've tried everything from baking soda to Ozone and the smell, although lessened, is just stuck in the foam.

If necessary, I could take photos, but they happen to be in my storage unit a few miles down the road for the winter.
VTPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 01:01 PM   #2
Bronze Member

Hi Pete, I'm in southern nh (Pelham). I have a 1994 Dodge B350 Sportsmobile. I think they should fit. Are they front seats (driver and passenger)? What color? Do they have fold down arm rests? Thanks! Lee
Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 01:10 PM   #3
Bronze Member

I see they are blue. I think I'll pass. What year Caravan did you get your seats from? Thanks!
Old 04-22-2018, 02:18 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leland View Post
I see they are blue. I think I'll pass. What year Caravan did you get your seats from? Thanks!
Hummm... I don't remember. I think it was late '90s.
They weren't a drop-in. I had to cut and drill some cross-pieces on the Caravan seats in order to bolt them to the swivel top. But basically all I take was to take some "C-Stock" iron bars and bolt them to the slide-out brackets on the bottom and then drill four holes to mount to the swivel plate.

Yes, they have drop-down arm rests.

The replacement seats only had arm-rests on the inside-side of the chairs. So, I built an armrest and bolted it to the door where that stupid decorative plate was. It's SO much better than the drop down armrest that was on the door side of the chair. This one doesn't get in your way when you want to get to your seatbelt and I made it with closed cell foam on top for extra squishy-ness. I just did 2,200 miles with it and it was a joy the whole trip.

-Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-04-22 at 10.13.52 AM.jpg (83.0 KB, 19 views)
Old 04-22-2018, 07:11 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Hey, Pete, Thanks for the info! Have fun with the Roadtrek!
Old 06-14-2018, 12:23 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Hi all,
These seats will be going to the dump very soon. If you want them for free and are anywhere near NH, please contact me within the next week. (Posted June 14, 201. Within 10 days or so, they'll be at the dump.

These chairs are structurally great and the fabric is in great shape. Unfortunately, they do have something of a mildew smell that I find unacceptable.

-Pete
Old 08-18-2021, 07:22 PM   #7

Default Still have the chairs?

Hi, I'm interested if you still have the roadtrek chairs.
KayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 01:21 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Sorry, I got rid of them years ago. I should point out that I replaced them with two chairs from a Dodge Caravan that a woman was getting rid of. I kept the rotating bases in place and fabricated a mount for the new chairs.
The new chairs are about an inch or two less wide than the originals. I like this a lot as they fit me better AND they're easier to swing around.

Another advantage is that they came with their own seatbelt connector that is easier to reach. Interestingly, I left the original connectors bolted to the base and use them to leash my dog as we found these little snap-in connectors for dog leases!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayJay View Post
Hi, I'm interested if you still have the roadtrek chairs.