Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2020, 11:03 PM   #1

Default Pleasure Way to Purchase

Hi...new to this site and forum. Looking to purchase a 2008 PW private sale. Excel TS 60,000 kms, V8, Clean.

Whats a fair sale price? Asking because I really dont know
Mike in NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 01:41 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Watching. Can't answer your question about fair price. But I want to say, as an owner of a 97 PW that it IS very well built. Don't know if that was still true a decade later but the quality of the build on ours is very high. Everything is still original. Cabinetry good. No problems with water/plumbing. No electrical issues. Good luck!!!
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:41 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Pleasureway is an excellent company.

Their cabinetry is probably the best in the industry.

I am thinking $35-55k.

Some of the 2006 & 2007 depending on when the base units were purchased before build out have the older style front grille versus the more modern- its cosmetic but the later model grille looks so much better.

Go to Rvtrader.com & dial in exactly what you want, here is a cursory search; https://www.rvtrader.com/Pleasure-Wa...distance%3Aasc
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:15 PM   #4

Thank you. Appreciate the info.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:16 PM   #5

Appreciate this info.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:05 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Why the Excel & not the Lexor?

The other benefit of the Pleasureway brand is that quality production hasn't changed as they have not moved away from excellence as the newer models using more modern materials - you cannot go wrong buying a 2006 or 2016.

I own a Roadtrek 190 Versatile with the 54x75 bed but was only looking at the Popular models until the Versatile popped up - in retrospect, I am 6foot but made the right decision however most of the time I am alone.

If you are going to buy one, pay someone like Martin the RV Guy to come out & inspect the vehicle's systems BEFORE you hand over the money - a Home on Wheels can be a never ending disaster or a dream - you need an honest expert like this who knows what to look for.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mart...trex_id:h2frJb

THE RV REPAIR GUYThe Rv Repair Guy

Or someone like him, its a small price to pay for Peace of Mind, especially if you are dealing with Private Parties.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:46 AM   #7
Platinum Member

I have an 06 PW Lexor ( on a chev)

we are more than happy with the quality of the build and the layout works for us

on a few excels I have seen rust on the rear where the steel meets the fiberglass up high, have a look

pricing- tough as demand is super high due to covid

mine was 8 years old and 80,000 miles we paid under $40K US

is an excel worth more than a lexor?

I dunno, I didn;t want a wide body and I prefer the chev over the ford

so that's about 35,000 miles... that's a plus

Cheers, Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:53 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Good perspective MK GUITAR,

I forgot about the Ford Chevrolet angle.

The wide body is also a compromise as it leads to a narrower range to add lbs.

Plus I personally don't like the look of either the PW Excel or the Roadtrek 210 that also has the lower range of GVWR.

But some people like the permanent bathroom with its extra privacy & the bigger bed option.

PS. MK, how do you shower in the Lexor, using that shower tray device?
Old 07-10-2020, 12:58 AM   #9

How much narrower is the Lexor vs the Excel. Narrower woukd handle better?
Old 07-10-2020, 01:20 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Most that we see would indicate a Chevy Luxor would handle better than the Ford Excel which have kind of history of not great handling. Most of the issues can be addressed for the most part, I think.

The Excel is a short wide body and I don't think they have as much capacity issue as the Roadtrek 210s do.

Many people really like the extra width of the Excel.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 01:58 AM   #11
Platinum Member

You can either go to their website as I did or here, click on this PDF;

https://pleasureway.com/shopping-tools/brochures/

But its not just a questions of looks & weight, its all about the handling & driveability & some girls no matter what you do or how hard you train, are going to win the 100 meters.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:01 AM   #12
Platinum Member

I have a suspicion you already have a rig in mind.

If its going to be a long term ownership & if you want to live in it at least part of the year, do your homework including driving it.

Plus any Class B rig I woukd purchase, my first trip would be to Weldtec Design down in El Cajon to have it lifted & worked with better shocks.

I personally always preferred the Pleasureway & individually, the Lexor - its sleek & streamlined versis the stinkbug appearance of the Excel.

Not to mention the more difficult parking of the Excel.
Old 07-10-2020, 03:07 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in NB View Post
How much narrower is the Lexor vs the Excel. Narrower would handle better?

The lexor is a chev van* with a cap on top, so chevy width

the handling, well, it weighs 9000# wet I prefer to cruise at 65ish and it's smooth..75 and you can feel the air, crosswinds are more noticeable

( I have great tires and shocks- have not bothered with suspension mods)

I have no opinion on the excel handling- only a story...( Maritimers like a story)

I have a neighbor with a 99 sportmobile Ford 4wd that burned down in the driveway.
He bought a 2000 excel on a 99 ford and swapped in the transfer case and axles..making a 4wd excel.
( it was a big job)

He uses in for the deserts of mexico - real off road.
he says squirrely on the highway so he stays below 60.
but great on the dirt!
and the cabinetry has not yet fallen off the walls

the 06 PW is built on an 05 Express 3500 6L 305 hp, 4 spd tranny ( common that rv is built on previous model year)

the drivetrain is well sized for the van and weight and gets about 15/16 MPG - about 7km per litre at the speeds I drive

this had the biggest bed I could find ( fore/aft) as we are both tall.

we do not use the shower in the van, we find we are either in the boonies and use the outside shower, or we are in a campground

cheers, Mike

* I own a GMC pickup with smaller version of the v8, same tranny. I have the manuals and tools and already know the layut should something need fixin' - I know if I turn the wheels left I can change oil and filter on the ground and that only a 15mm socket on an extension is needed to change the serpentine belt
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:13 PM   #14

Thanks for all this info. No, I dont have a model locked in for purchase - and this info gives me plenty to chew on
Old 07-10-2020, 06:34 PM   #15
Platinum Member

You might even want to investigate some older Roadtreks - sure the parent company is no longer in biz but your warranty would have finished years ago anyway.

All work on either a Pleasureway or a Roadtrek will be performed at quality* RV Repair Facility, not the Dealerships where you take a place in line for weeks, pay through the Nose & the quality is usually inferior.

*finding a quality mechanic is an Endeavour in itself but on sites like this you can get good local info on Professionals & many times, there is enough hard earned wisdom & advice from Members, you can either do it yourself or take the data to the mechanic with most costs already known upfront.

You strip away the brand names & you find they all use very much the same internal components like water pumps, heaters, generators, etc.

And the difference between a 2016 & the 2006 is the older units were probably made with more care & better materials.

Again my preference would be a Pleasureway because of the build quality inside & being an owner of the Roadtrek 190 Versatile* I would choose the Lexor instead, if I was limited to an older model.

For me its more like a Van but I would have enough over no matter what I purchased to make the trip down to Weldtec & get a minimum 3 inch lift.

*I have pimped my present Versatile out to make it work better than a similar year Popular, 210, Lexor or Excel.

If you are seriously interested, Email me* at;

iammarkblu@gmail.com

*or post your needs & expectations here so that you will attract lots of answers from existing owners.

I have a lot of time on my hands sometimes & I like helping people, lived in NB for 8 years & know Class B's very well. It would be good to know what the budget is & if you need financing & own your own home*.

*the RV Mortgage becomes in some cases your second home tax deduction (or it used to be that way).

The dilemma you face today is that with Covid 19, there is an evaporating of inventory, in an already rare market. Who knows, after Covid, there might be a lot of deals in the ground from disillusioned new owners.

And let me repeat my earlier suggestion; take a qualified, honest & diligent RV Guy with you to test all systems before you hand the money over.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:27 PM   #16
Bronze Member

Check out the NADA website https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2008/...3049675/Values
Jim
Jim86301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 12:12 AM   #17

I don't know what a fair price would be now, with the big run on RV purchases. We bought a new 2011 PW Ford Excel, wide body. We are very happy with it, hi quality product. We did replace the air conditioning system for a newer model but everything else has been just great. We installed a sway bar as I was unsure about handling it in wind. It works perfectly, my husband has driven in winding mountains and very windy conditions. We looked at Roadtec and Sprinter and was more impressed with the PW.
shelleybeauvais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 10:04 AM   #18
Platinum Member

I have a 09 Chevy Lexor TS and love it. It has an aisle shower that is even bigger than the XL. Yes, a bit harder to setup, but I full timed for over a year and got used to it. I drive up to 70mph with no issues, and although I have no experience with the Ford XL, all the forums I'm on talk about how it has wondering problems. There are fixes though. Personally, I like the narrower Chevy. Nice for parking and the only drawback, I'm just over 6 feet, and it would be nice to have a little extra room when laying on the sofa, but the power sofa to bed is more than fine. Both Chevy and Ford are great chassis, so this is JMO
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#excel, #pleasureway