Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2021, 01:58 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Replacement RV

In September my home and my RV burned in the Holiday Farm Fire. I am missing my RV (home being rebuilt) and found this one. It seems like a lot of miles, but I thought I'd get opinions from you all.

1999 Roadtrek with 137,000 miles, it has 400 watt solar, 2 new agm 6 volt golf cart batteries, glass top stove, 3 inches of insulation, professional installed wood stove, 3 custom slide out metal drawers, commercial grade tires, hitch, gps. Also includes pots, pans, dishes and silverware. New tuneup, oil change, new battery isolater, oil change in diff and tranny
soohma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 02:53 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Soohma (Nancy?), As a retired Forest Service Fire Info Officer, I extend my condolences on the loss of your property to wildfire. [The Holiday Farm Fire burned 173,000 acres last Sept, between MacKenzie Bridge and Springfield, Oregon. The first day of the fire saw extreme fire spread.] Best wishes with rebuilding your life.

Re: the Roadtrek you found (to replace your beloved Coach House Campervan?), this recent comment to another thread (GS Yellowstone) by Forum regular Rowiebowie offers good advice.....

.... as with any rv purchase, if the size and layout suit you, then proceed with checking out the vehicle and coach portions. It's like buying a car and house in one. If you are new to rvs, by all means have a qualified mechanic and rv tech check it out.

I'm certainly not implying you should rush to buy it, but in today's seller's market, you should rush to check it out since it may not be for sale very long. Then you can rule-it-out or rule-it-in fairly quickly. Then offer a bit less for it, especially if issues are found (and there are almost always issues). Some are deal breakers, some are par for the course and can be considered in the selling price or your offer.

It took us over a year to find the perfect rv for us. Good luck.
Old 06-05-2021, 03:17 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Thanks for the quick reply. The high mileage is a concern since I travel alone (well, with a dog) and have zero repair skills for vehicles. I had a Coach House before and loved it. Never had a Roadtec, but they have a good rep, I think.
Old 06-05-2021, 04:56 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soohma View Post
In September my home and my RV burned in the Holiday Farm Fire. I am missing my RV (home being rebuilt) and found this one. It seems like a lot of miles, but I thought I'd get opinions from you all.

1999 Roadtrek with 137,000 miles, it has 400 watt solar, 2 new agm 6 volt golf cart batteries, glass top stove, 3 inches of insulation, professional installed wood stove, 3 custom slide out metal drawers, commercial grade tires, hitch, gps. Also includes pots, pans, dishes and silverware. New tuneup, oil change, new battery isolater, oil change in diff and tranny
I'm a bit skeptical of the stats above. First - while I guess it's possible, 400W solar on a Roadtrek it almost unheard of if due to nothing other than lack of roof space. Second - 3 inches of insulation is also nearly impossible in a class b. Maybe they put in 3 inches and compressed it to 1-1/2" which is really like 1-1/2 inches. Finally - a wood stove in a Roadtrek? Not sure of the claims the seller is making. Which makes me skeptical of the service change.

The above being said, the old Dodges seems to run forever with proper maintenance. So just check it out with a skeptical eye and try a get a mechanic to check it out. I assume you are familiar with the coach systems to try them yourself. Don't get rushed by the owner into not checking out everything.

When I bought my first class b 3-1/2 years, I took a long list with me based on suggestions on this and other forums. After an hour and things checking out fine, I compromised and skipped the final four items on my list. Well, I got my rv home and found problems with two of those four. Not a deal breaker, but I would have asked for a price consideration had I stayed dedicated to finishing my list and found the problems before purchase.

Good luck.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 04:59 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Thanks. Those are good points. I think I'm too wary of the mileage to get this one. Onward!
Old 06-05-2021, 05:09 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks. Those are good points. I think I'm too wary of the mileage to get this one. Onward!
I chose not to go older than 5-6 years when I purchased, just to get modern safety features like airbags, anti-lock brakes, and stability control. Plus, I counted on less age to give me lower miles and less problems (since age is sometimes just as critical as mileage).

In the case of a 1999 with 130K+ miles, that is about par and maybe no worse than a 1999 with only 20K miles indicating it sat for very long periods (also not good).

In my case, the Chevy Express has been a gem. Drives nice, good mileage (15mpg), great power, and trouble-free. But the "newer" coach being less problems has not panned out on that side. I've had to do a ton of repairs and replacements. The only plus is I'm now intimately familiar with my van.
Old 06-05-2021, 05:09 PM   #7
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
But wait, what if it is true: solar, A Wood Stove, and so the insulation was exaggerated..........

I would at least be curious, the seller knows What Exactly?

Sorry about your loss, but you're moving on, good for you. This is a good place to be I think.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 05:40 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Commercial tires must be better than none commercial ones, right. The must be using commercial CO2 as well.

I have over 3" of Thinsulate in one place in my van, cab ceiling with factory headliner, this is the only place I found allowing me to have 3", otherwise 1.5"-2" everywhere.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 06:22 PM   #9
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Commercial tires must be better than none commercial ones, right. The must be using commercial CO2 as well.

I have over 3" of Thinsulate in one place in my van, cab ceiling with factory headliner, this is the only place I found allowing me to have 3", otherwise 1.5"-2" everywhere.
And tires probably have 100% nitrogen in them rather than the more common 80%.
Old 06-05-2021, 06:25 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
And tires probably have 100% nitrogen in them rather than the more common 80%.
You could be right but it could be even 110% of nitrogen, it is nitrogen not CO2, thank for correction.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 08:13 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Looks like this 1999 Roadtrek 190 listing. with wood stove and entire roof of solar panels. https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/199...LAR-5016283689
Old 06-06-2021, 02:11 AM   #12
Platinum Member

There is no air conditioner I noticed if that matters to you.

I think that with that high mileage and your lack of mechanical skills, I think you are right about passing on this one.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 03:14 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAZCamperVan View Post
Looks like this 1999 Roadtrek 190 listing. with wood stove and entire roof of solar panels. https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/199...LAR-5016283689
Good find NAZCamper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
There is no air conditioner I noticed if that matters to you.

I think that with that high mileage and your lack of mechanical skills, I think you are right about passing on this one.
Good catch on the ac mumkin. It has been so highly modified, I'd worry what else was changed and how well the work was done. Plus, a wood stove. Really? Hard pass.
Old 06-06-2021, 03:37 AM   #14
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Good find NAZCamper.

Good catch on the ac mumkin. It has been so highly modified, I'd worry what else was changed and how well the work was done. Plus, a wood stove. Really? Hard pass.
I agree rowiebowie, who knows what there is to know, or what there is to know and on and on................?

Interesting though. I thought? Well, it just does not matter.

Good to hear the likes of you and George ............. Kind of like my pleasure.......... Thank you.

Bud
Old 06-10-2021, 04:10 PM   #15
Bronze Member

I have a 1992 Roadtrek with 104k miles. I'd never shy away from high mileage on a Roadtrek. The "woodstove" is perplexing to me. I'd consider joining one of two Facebook Groups. "GOOD OLD ROADTREK" and "74-04 Roadtrek Owners - Vintage & Classic years." The folks in both groups are a wealth of information! There are rigs there with well over 200k miles on them and still going strong. I would not walk away from this one simply because of the miles. You don't have to own one to join the groups. Many folks join for knowledge before they buy - or in hopes of finding one listed on the group thread (only self-owned vehicles can be listed there.)

Best of luck in your search!
Kobieta is offline   Reply With Quote