Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-23-2020, 05:50 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Montana
Posts: 6
Default Roadtrek vinyl striping kit

Restoring 2001 Blue Road trek Popular need original striping if someone has a source for a manufacturer or original kit
archie5463@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 03:08 AM   #2
Gold Member
 
Buc22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Texas
Posts: 87
Default

If you have a picture of what you are looking for I am sure most any vinyl graphics company that do vehicle wraps could make what you want.
__________________
Buc22
2015 Roadtrek 190 Anniversary Edition
Hellwig rear sway bar, Bilstein shocks, EBC Brakes,
Moto Metal M970 16x8
Buc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 01:35 PM   #3
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 156
Default

Hi,
Can we resurrect this thread? My '96 Popular 190 has striping that needs to be replaced (or covered up.) While routinely washing the RV, the plastic parts of the vinyl has essentially peeled and chipped off and left the adhesive behind. I got sick of it being half-on, half-off, so took the pressure washer to it and (very, very easily) stripped it off. (Mostly the top stripe.) But, it left behind the residue. I may just keep it this way.
I'd like to hear about anyone's success stories. The previous comment mentions going to a "vinyl graphics company". Any suggestions?
Seriously though, what would happen if I just laid new graphics on top of the old stripped graphics? It's just the residue that's left behind. Should I get an eraser wheel and attempt to strip it off? I'm really worried about damaging the paint.
-Pete
VTPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 02:09 PM   #4
Platinum Member
 
mloganusda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Smyrna, TN
Posts: 576
Default

Check different home improvement stores for adhesive removers. Then think about what you want to do. Have the strips painted on with no problems down the road or more graphics.
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 06:06 AM   #5
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Montana
Posts: 6
Default option

It boils down to budget and priorities. Talk to a vinyl sign or auto company and they will give you and estimate. You will have to cover bigger than existing vinyl to good right as paint has faded and any pattern smaller will show. The best is new vehicle paint and vinyl but the total cost will be 10K plus.
archie5463@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 11:26 AM   #6
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 156
Default I ordered cheap, custom vinyl stickers

Here's what I did:
In the end I figured it was worth the $23 to try vinyl stickers from https://www.bannerbuzz.com/

They have a tool that let me create a banner that was 3.75" x 240". (Yes, 20 feet long.) The tool let me create long stripes of whatever color I wanted, so I "guestimated" what would look good as a replacement for the top stripe, ordered it and had a friend help me lay it down. Pictures attached, including one of the design tool with the stripe.

First, to be clear: I DID NOT strip off the old stickers! The original decals/pin striping was so sun deteriorated that when I took my pressure washer to the RV (even being careful), the slightest pressure would make the colored portion of the original decals come flaking off leaving the adhesive layer behind. I had no intention of buying a scrubbing disk and trying to remove it after what I was was required from watching videos! A few original spots would still be left behind, so I was fully aware that I would be placing a sticker on an uneven surface. I'll remind you: $25!!!

Well, it worked great in my opinion. I stupidly forgot to use the soapy water and squeegee technique to put the decals on - so it's not perfect. Close up, at an angle, you can see the imperfections, but I wanted it to "look good from 10 feet".

The biggest problem- one that might cause me to peel this off and try again with a new design - is that I *stupidly* thought that the company making the sticker would have machines that created nice clean edges. They didn't. I chose a white vinyl background, but made the blue color stripes stop and start on the edge of the strip. When they were cut, they weren't straight lines, so in the photos you can see how the top and bottom edges don't look straight - this is because the sticker wasn't cut properly. ($25!) On my top edge, the top and bottom pin stripes looked great - never peeled off - so I had measured and designed and ordered a strip that would fit between these two existing stripes. To be fair, their tool makes reference to a safe-zone that I should not have put a design on. The white of the vinyl decal would have looked almost invisible against the white of the RV, so I should have left a white bottom and top edge.

In summary, this $25 experiment looks so much better than the old peeled decal that I'm going to keep it this way and see how it holds up to rain, wind, etc. I'll report back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4268.jpg (182.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4270.jpg (256.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4266.JPG (58.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0134 (1).jpg (90.5 KB, 17 views)
VTPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 04:06 PM   #7
Gold Member
 
CanuckRV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Ontario
Posts: 93
Default

I was looking at that site and can't find where you made your stripes.
__________________
On Canada's South Shore
https://galavan.blogspot.com/
CanuckRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 06:06 PM   #8
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckRV View Post
I was looking at that site and can't find where you made your stripes.
Just click on the "start your order" button. Then there's a dropdown for the type of thing you're creating. I chose "outdoor banner". (I think.) Then there's a "design tool" button. The system gives you access to the tool without having to purchase anything.

-Pete
VTPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 02:07 AM   #9
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2024
Location: Oh
Posts: 9
Default Want this tool for decals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTPete View Post
Here's what I did:
In the end I figured it was worth the $23 to try vinyl stickers from https://www.bannerbuzz.com/

They have a tool that let me create a banner that was 3.75" x 240". (Yes, 20 feet long.) The tool let me create long stripes of whatever color I wanted, so I "guestimated" what would look good as a replacement for the top stripe, ordered it and had a friend help me lay it down. Pictures attached, including one of the design tool with the stripe.

First, to be clear: I DID NOT strip off the old stickers! The original decals/pin striping was so sun deteriorated that when I took my pressure washer to the RV (even being careful), the slightest pressure would make the colored portion of the original decals come flaking off leaving the adhesive layer behind. I had no intention of buying a scrubbing disk and trying to remove it after what I was was required from watching videos! A few original spots would still be left behind, so I was fully aware that I would be placing a sticker on an uneven surface. I'll remind you: $25!!!

Well, it worked great in my opinion. I stupidly forgot to use the soapy water and squeegee technique to put the decals on - so it's not perfect. Close up, at an angle, you can see the imperfections, but I wanted it to "look good from 10 feet".

The biggest problem- one that might cause me to peel this off and try again with a new design - is that I *stupidly* thought that the company making the sticker would have machines that created nice clean edges. They didn't. I chose a white vinyl background, but made the blue color stripes stop and start on the edge of the strip. When they were cut, they weren't straight lines, so in the photos you can see how the top and bottom edges don't look straight - this is because the sticker wasn't cut properly. ($25!) On my top edge, the top and bottom pin stripes looked great - never peeled off - so I had measured and designed and ordered a strip that would fit between these two existing stripes. To be fair, their tool makes reference to a safe-zone that I should not have put a design on. The white of the vinyl decal would have looked almost invisible against the white of the RV, so I should have left a white bottom and top edge.

In summary, this $25 experiment looks so much better than the old peeled decal that I'm going to keep it this way and see how it holds up to rain, wind, etc. I'll report back.
Hello friend! I just bought the same exact roadtrek! I went to that website but I need to know the name of the tool that let you make those decals! I hope youre still active on this site. Im brand new to roadtrek and Id love to compare notes I got a great deal on my 96 bc I have to drive to Detroit (from Dayton) and install a new alternator. Thanks! Kasey
Kac533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 02:17 AM   #10
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kac533 View Post
Hello friend! I just bought the same exact roadtrek! I went to that website but I need to know the name of the tool that let you make those decals! I hope youre still active on this site. Im brand new to roadtrek and Id love to compare notes I got a great deal on my 96 bc I have to drive to Detroit (from Dayton) and install a new alternator. Thanks! Kasey
I AM still active and those stripes still are perfectly attached. I also have recently added some Star Trek theme graphics to mine. I think it's tastefully done. I have the '96 Dodge model 190 Popular. I've touched every system, so I can probably offer a lot of advice on everything from replacing the cabin power converter to the under the hood isolator!
362215669_6243203792444725_4263587630339216105_n.jpg
VTPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 02:17 AM   #11
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 156
Default

I don't remember the name of the tool... sorry! If I have time tomorrow I'll revisit their website. I might have the image of the stripes I used, by the way. If I do, I'll post it here tomorrow.
-Pete
VTPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 02:48 AM   #12
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2024
Location: Oh
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTPete View Post
I AM still active and those stripes still are perfectly attached. I also have recently added some Star Trek theme graphics to mine. I think it's tastefully done. I have the '96 Dodge model 190 Popular. I've touched every system, so I can probably offer a lot of advice on everything from replacing the cabin power converter to the under the hood isolator!
Attachment 14507
Pete that looks fanTAStic! Id love to see more photos of your whole rig so I can copy it! Can you take a pic of the tool? I chat boxed with person at that website and she had no idea what I was talking about! Every replaced your alternator?
Kac533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 02:51 AM   #13
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2024
Location: Oh
Posts: 9
Default

Pete is it a digital tool, like they provide the software or is it a physical tool that you can hold in your hand?
Kasey
Kac533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 02:54 AM   #14
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2024
Location: Oh
Posts: 9
Default

Oh also is there roadtrek boneyard where I can get parts? I haven’t seen my van in person yet as I just bought but from photos it doesn’t seem to have awning and I’d love to have one. Thanks for your help.
Kac533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 03:10 AM   #15
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kac533 View Post
Pete that looks fanTAStic! Id love to see more photos of your whole rig so I can copy it! Can you take a pic of the tool? I chat boxed with person at that website and she had no idea what I was talking about! Every replaced your alternator?
Not on the RV, no.
What kind of photos you looking for... inside or out? I stripped off the walls and rebuilt them in my battle against mildew when I bought it. If you search for threads of mine, you'll find it.
VTPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 03:20 AM   #16
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2024
Location: Oh
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTPete View Post
Not on the RV, no.
What kind of photos you looking for... inside or out? I stripped off the walls and rebuilt them in my battle against mildew when I bought it. If you search for threads of mine, you'll find it.
I guess mostly inside. The one I bought is pretty dirty inside and the guy inherited it from his grandfather. He has no knowledge of it or interest in it he thinks everything is running and it has new generator. Bought it for $3000 via photos only. Id love to show you some photos to get your opinion on some things but idk how to upload the, onto this site
Kac533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 11:08 AM   #17
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kac533 View Post
Pete is it a digital tool, like they provide the software or is it a physical tool that you can hold in your hand?
Kasey
Um... if you're talking about the way to make the graphics, it's a digital tool. It's just a graphics editor online.
VTPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 11:11 AM   #18
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 156
Default

Not that I'm aware of. Ebay, Craigstlist and Facebook Marketplace will be your friend. I found a newish rear passenger seat on eBay. You're not going to find new old stock (NOS) for these rigs, but there are lots of modern equivalents that will drop in place. I even replaced the rear florescent "dinner" light with a thin, low-profile LED model that is much better than the original.
VTPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
parts, vinyl striping

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.