Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2016, 07:15 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Used Advanced RV's For Sale

ARV has changed the website over the last several months so I found it difficult to find the used listing. However, it appears they have updated the listing with some used vans available for sale. I am not affiliated with ARV but thought it might be helpful for those looking for a quality RV (e.g. Stewie vs. a RT or PW??). Unfortunately these are outside my price range.

https://advanced-rv.com/a-second-hom...m_medium=email
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:41 PM   #2
Bronze Member

Wow, I know they make quality class B's but I had know idea they cost this much. I thought $145K for my 2016 Roadtrek CS Adventurous was steep.
timp410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:45 AM   #3
Platinum Member

They are expensive but they do have a strong reputation for making a quality product. In my opinion they seem to cater to a similar demographic that would purchase an expensive high end class A RV but would prefer the B size and lifestyle. They have the means to purchase what they want.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:49 AM   #4
Bronze Member

I believe you are correct!
Old 07-09-2016, 03:44 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Peanut looks like a real bargain.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:34 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Custom always costs more. You are paying top salaries to folks who have to sit there while a potential customer goes on and on about what they want over multiple meetings and conference calls. The customer can always walk. If they do finally close a deal there are countless change requests and meetings to discuss the buyer's every whim.
Jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:25 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Custom At this level does; sportsmobile and Van Specialties are still comparable in price to other manufacturers but these are higher level components and finishes. Also, they don't (and don't want to) have the volume of a large manufacturer so the economies of scale and reduced cost/price won't be there.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:29 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

I was joking.
I'm surprised they're still in business, tbh.
I don't think they're making any money on volume sales, obviously.
So, the mark ups must be incredible, and there are customers, apparently, that don't seem to understand that, or care.
Stealth has a price, it would seem.
Or just the head rush of owning something that seems unique, and ridiculously expensive.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:41 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I was joking.
I'm surprised they're still in business, tbh.
I don't think they're making any money on volume sales, obviously.
So, the mark ups must be incredible, and there are customers, apparently, that don't seem to understand that, or care.
Stealth has a price, it would seem.
Or just the head rush of owning something that seems unique, and ridiculously expensive.
When they started out, I was a bit surprised at how they could do top components, full custom, and bend over backwards customer service, and still make money. In reality, the may not have been, as they have raised prices a whole bunch recently. ARV had the advantage of other shared assets with other businesses the owner has, which is really big when you are dealing with high end CAD systems and the people to use them properly. They are probably now working to get ARV as a standalone profitable company, and not relying on subsidies from the other businesses, but we will never know that as they are privately held.

Whatever way it is, I hope they stay in business and making money, as ARV probably does more to advance the state of the art than any other B manufacturer, and on a par with the big super high end class A coach builders.

Way to expensive for me, and too integrated, but that is personal choice. There are lots of folks who want to just have the van do everything for them, and can afford to pay for that luxury.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:14 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
When they started out, I was a bit surprised at how they could do top components, full custom, and bend over backwards customer service, and still make money. In reality, the may not have been, as they have raised prices a whole bunch recently. ARV had the advantage of other shared assets with other businesses the owner has, which is really big when you are dealing with high end CAD systems and the people to use them properly. They are probably now working to get ARV as a standalone profitable company, and not relying on subsidies from the other businesses, but we will never know that as they are privately held.

Whatever way it is, I hope they stay in business and making money, as ARV probably does more to advance the state of the art than any other B manufacturer, and on a par with the big super high end class A coach builders.

Way to expensive for me, and too integrated, but that is personal choice. There are lots of folks who want to just have the van do everything for them, and can afford to pay for that luxury.
I agree with every word of the above.

As far as I could tell, the two businesses are so intertwined that I don't think it is even well-defined whether ARV is "profitable". It is obviously a labor of love for Mike N. so I'm not sure how much he even cares; although it obviously is true that he is trying to bring his prices more in line with his costs. The big question is to what extent there is a sustainable market at his new price point, and to what extent he is relying on pent-up demand in an underserved market segment. I, too am rooting for him.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:17 PM   #11
Site Team

I would love to know how those resale prices compare with the original sale prices of the same units. (Assuming they were all ever sold at all).
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:51 PM   #12
Bronze Member

It has to be tough relying on a few sales a year to stay a float. I know there are a lot of folks with deep pockets but only a hand full of them will choose a small coach over a large Class A. I saw a recent posting of one of their units for sale named Cruzmobile for just under $300K.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:59 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I would love to know how those resale prices compare with the original sale prices of the same units. (Assuming they were all ever sold at all).
That would be interesting, but of course they have been upgraded since they were originally sold, and there have been a lot of price increases besides. They could easily be substantially more than they originally sold for, I think.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 03:26 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Thanks for the video post. Strange but informative video. That van is indeed about $300k but I do like the interior finishes they use. However coming back from a hike that interior could get dirty fast lol. It is nice though. I would choose different cabinets but anyway I like their design.

By the way, Outside van has sold vans at $200k plus... Even had one on the Extreme RV show that was $380k (280k used) it was called Brown Pow. IMO their designs are a lot less advanced than ARV so not sure how they are demanding such prices, but people seem to buy them. IMO ARV seems to have the quality and tech to warrant higher prices than the competition but I wish they were lower price so I could buy one.

Also, as mentioned it's great they are pushing the technology; similar to high end cars hopefully the new tech introduced at the high end (eg ABS, airbags, etc) will eventually trickle down to the lower price points. Can't wait for WGO to add underhood generator as an option.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:52 PM   #15
Bronze Member

I have washed just about all of their video's they have posted on YouTube and their conversions are definitely state of the art. I wish I could afford to have one custom built. I love the air ride and the way they go about protecting the water lines for cold weather camping. I also love the way they integrate the out door storage and water bay. The inside of the Cruzmobile reminds me of a Prevost motorhome. If I were well off, I would definitely go for it! I guess if Prevost can stay afloat, than Advanced RV will as well.