Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2021, 09:15 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Used Onan 2.8 kw gas generator for sale

Hi:

I have used Onan 2.8 kw gas generator for sale. It being removed from my 2016 Pleasure Way Lexor TS. Genny has 120 hours. Routinely run Seafoam and Stabil for prevention of carburetor problems. Changed oil annually

Runs well. Am upgrading to new Onan 2.8 inverter gas genny.

Looking to sell for $1000.00 Must pick up. I am in Torrance, California 90503.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20211001_100501761.jpg (181.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20211001_100613634_MP(1).jpg (246.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20211001_100310579(1).jpg (113.3 KB, 21 views)
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 12:07 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I have wondered about this upgrade myself, I also have a Lexor TS and find that the noise and vibration from the Onan is unbearable. Can you post what is required for the conversion, including the part/model number of the inverter generator? Thanks.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:27 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reilym View Post
I have wondered about this upgrade myself, I also have a Lexor TS and find that the noise and vibration from the Onan is unbearable. Can you post what is required for the conversion, including the part/model number of the inverter generator? Thanks.
Scheduled tomorrow for upgrade. Contacted PW to find about the bracket change. First reply. PW said need a bracket upgrade. Contacted four different retailers who sell PW parts. Each contacted PW parts department and said same bracket can be used?

Onan states any 2.8KW generator bracket is compatible after 2012. Ante 2012, modifications are necessary.

This is one ordered.
Cummins Onan QG 2800 RV Gasoline Generator - 2.8HGLAA-8303, 2.8 kW Prime, Single-Phase, 120 Volt, Air-Cooled, EVAP

Hopefully no major cliches tomorrow?
Old 10-19-2021, 02:03 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlum View Post
Scheduled tomorrow for upgrade.

Yup. Good luck!
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 12:14 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Scheduled tomorrow for upgrade. Contacted PW to find about the bracket change. First reply. PW said need a bracket upgrade. Contacted four different retailers who sell PW parts. Each contacted PW parts department and said same bracket can be used?

Onan states any 2.8KW generator bracket is compatible after 2012. Ante 2012, modifications are necessary.

This is one ordered.
Cummins Onan QG 2800 RV Gasoline Generator - 2.8HGLAA-8303, 2.8 kW Prime, Single-Phase, 120 Volt, Air-Cooled, EVAP

Let us know how it goes. My Lexor TS is also a 2016, so I am definitely hoping you have success!
Old 10-21-2021, 12:19 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Let us know how it goes. My Lexor TS is also a 2016, so I am definitely hoping you have success!
OK. Just go home from installer. It fits without any major modifications. Only issue was. There was a bolt from the frame which did not allow the generator to align with mounting bracket holes. So he just cut it about 1.5 inches. Bolt was sticking down 2 inches. Bolt just shortened.

He used a forklift to place the new generator. Installer placed new fuel filter and hanger for exhaust. Used same bracket, muffler. wires. Actually had to extend the wiring to 110 junction box under the driver's ottoman.

All good, starts immediately and is very quiet.

That's all for now!
Old 10-21-2021, 10:49 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Congratulations! Now I just need to find an installer in mid-Michigan. I assume that you had it done at an RV place? Contemplating a quieter AC while I am at it. It would be nice to be able to finally hear the TV when the AC is running on the generator. Right now, we have to crank it up to 100% and even then when the Dometic compressor kicks in it's hard to hear. Not exactly pleasant.
Old 10-21-2021, 11:19 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Congratulations! Now I just need to find an installer in mid-Michigan. I assume that you had it done at an RV place? Contemplating a quieter AC while I am at it. It would be nice to be able to finally hear the TV when the AC is running on the generator. Right now, we have to crank it up to 100% and even then when the Dometic compressor kicks in it's hard to hear. Not exactly pleasant.
Thanks. Did not use RV place. Mexicandoctor recommended a local engine repair person who specializes in Onan generators. I contacted him and he agreed to do it. Only issue is he is a small shop(single person). Had to wait 2 weeks to get it done. Had genny shipped directly to him.

As an aside. Last year changed air conditioner to Houghton Belaire. Sold the Dometic. It was just too noisy for us. You might want to do this. Rec Pro has them. I installed the 3401 which has the heat pump built in. I think you can get just the 13.5btu air conditioner without heat pump for a few hundred less. Way less noise than Dometic. I think the ac upgrade with inverter generator will make cooling and staying in van much more pleasant!

Incidentally, people on Travato Facebook forum have installed generator themselves. Actually, once you see it done, it is not that difficult. I was able to work with my installer and learned a great deal. After seeing it done, I would actually attempt it myself.

Best of Luck
Old 10-23-2021, 12:11 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks.

As an aside. Last year changed air conditioner to Houghton Belaire. Sold the Dometic. It was just too noisy for us. You might want to do this. Rec Pro has them. I installed the 3401 which has the heat pump built in. I think you can get just the 13.5btu air conditioner without heat pump for a few hundred less. Way less noise than Dometic. I think the ac upgrade with inverter generator will make cooling and staying in van much more pleasant!

Best of Luck
Interesting. I may have a crack at the generator install myself. I am guessing that the rear needs to be jacked up to provide enough clearance to slide the old out and the new in on a floor jack. Curious about your choice of ACs. Did you compare the Houghton with the Coleman Mach 10 NDQ? Looks like the Coleman draws a little less current (10.4 amps cooling) than the Houghton. There is a nice of the Dometic vs. the NDQ as far as noise goes. The latter is 5-6 dB quieter than the Dometic.
Old 10-23-2021, 12:29 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Interesting. I may have a crack at the generator install myself. I am guessing that the rear needs to be jacked up to provide enough clearance to slide the old out and the new in on a floor jack. Curious about your choice of ACs. Did you compare the Houghton with the Coleman Mach 10 NDQ? Looks like the Coleman draws a little less current (10.4 amps cooling) than the Houghton. There is a nice of the Dometic vs. the NDQ as far as noise goes. The latter is 5-6 dB quieter than the Dometic.
We used ramps to lift the rear about 8-10 inches off the ground. He had home made ramps made of 2X12 with some beveling. This was sufficient to lift van.
Disconnect all electrical and gas lines.
Only four bolts holding the genny in place. Place a jack beneath the genny. Remove bolts and slide genny out. This was easy part.

Installer used a forklift because he could control it better and felt more comfortable with it. I think a flat jack used for motocycles would work fine.
Now the hard part is to raise and align so holes line up with the brackets. He found a bolt from chassis directly above the genny stopping the last 1/2 inch. He just ground it off. That was it. Took about 30 minutes of playing around to see the obstruction. Remember installer never installed this genny before. He is independent although certified(only works on Onan gennys).
I connected the 120 wire to junction box under the driver's side ottoman. He connected gas line and harness. He installed a second fuel filter? Reinstalled the muffler with new hanger and tested. Should mention, he had added oil and tested prior to installing. Also remove plate covering side exhaust and reinstalled elbow to exhaust thru side an not bottom. Do as much work on bench instead of under van. Much easier access to everything!

Regarding the Coleman. I read on Facebook Travato forum. Members were upgrading from the Coleman Mac 10 ND to Houghton Belaire. People who did say it was worth it and a huge improvement. So I went with the HB.
Old 11-07-2021, 09:36 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hi:

I have used Onan 2.8 kw gas generator for sale. It being removed from my 2016 Pleasure Way Lexor TS. Genny has 120 hours. Routinely run Seafoam and Stabil for prevention of carburetor problems. Changed oil annually

Runs well. Am upgrading to new Onan 2.8 inverter gas genny.

Looking to sell for $1000.00 Must pick up. I am in Torrance, California 90503.
FYI: Genny has been sold

Thanks!