Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2021, 01:25 AM   #1

Talking Wanted: RT 190 independent or similar

Looking for my first camper.

Trying to find a class b with a toilet & shower.

Also need one with a towing package and the engine to handle towing a boat through the hills of Arkansas. Would actually prefer diesel, but I know those are harder to come by.

I don’t want anything fancy, it’s just me & the dogs. But a non-smoking one is important - and no cats, I’m allergic.

I’m willing to put in elbow grease, just don’t want something with a lot of mechanical problems. I can change my own tires and oil, but I don’t want to rebuild an engine. 😏

Ideally, I’d like to stay around $10,000-15,000. I can go up a little if needed. Want to make sure I have enough for any repairs. I know, I know, COVID has driven the prices on these through the roof.

I don’t need anything right away, so just thought I’d I put this out there. Maybe someone knows someone just wanting to get rid of their ride and not trying to make a fortune.

Ok. That’s it. Happy I found this cool forum.
JENinATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 04:51 PM   #2
Platinum Member

your budget probably has you priced out of anything that isn't a wreck

couple of thoughts-

many V8 Chevs on the 3500 chassis are rated for 5000# towing capacity
that may include the roadtrek 190 Popular ( sleeps fore/aft) and 190 Versatile ( sleeps sideways- how tall are you?). also the Pleasure Way Lexor model
all 3 have toilets & aisle showers with an outside shower wand.

the roadtrek 170 is usually on a shorter, lighter 2500 van with a smaller 4.8L v8, that may be marginal for towing- you'd have the check the specs

you NEED trailer brakes if towing as the brakes on these vans are near capacity in hills

a gas van can be fixed anywhere by anyone with parts from napa

a diesel may require special procedures
and the newer ones have electronic emissions controls which can be fiddly. they are almost tied to the dealer network for service ($$$$)

for the interior lay outs, check youtube sales videos and you can see typical features, watch how easily ( or not) the sales person moves around inside the van

go see as many as you can so you can determine how layouts and space may work for you

cheers, Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 06:00 PM   #3
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENinATX View Post
Looking for my first camper.

Trying to find a class b with a toilet & shower.

Also need one with a towing package and the engine to handle towing a boat through the hills of Arkansas. Would actually prefer diesel, but I know those are harder to come by.

I don’t want anything fancy, it’s just me & the dogs. But a non-smoking one is important - and no cats, I’m allergic.

I’m willing to put in elbow grease, just don’t want something with a lot of mechanical problems. I can change my own tires and oil, but I don’t want to rebuild an engine. 😏

Ideally, I’d like to stay around $10,000-15,000. I can go up a little if needed. Want to make sure I have enough for any repairs. I know, I know, COVID has driven the prices on these through the roof.

I don’t need anything right away, so just thought I’d I put this out there. Maybe someone knows someone just wanting to get rid of their ride and not trying to make a fortune.

Ok. That’s it. Happy I found this cool forum.

At the moment, worst time in ......to buy a B or Van.

With your dream, I would go with a good deal on a Van. Then create for a fraction of the cost what you want. Stove, Shower, kitchen sink, dc power with a water pump and.........whatever you want.

Going forward, I would guess the above will be true and the past too.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 02:31 AM   #4

Red face

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I’m only 5’6” and was definitely looking for one with the sideways bed. Just planning on leaving it set up.

Thankfully, I’m not in a rush and can’t wait to see if one comes on the market.

I thought about doing the conversion myself, but I’ve been renovating my home since I bought it in 2007, thought I might want something I can’t camp in within the next 15 years. 😏

I did the tent thing a couple years ago with a bucket toilet, I’d prefer something with holding tanks, that more than an basic van conversion.

The boat in question, would be my dad’s bass boat. I’d be pulling it while they pull their trailer. I’ve previously pulled it with 2002 F150 5.4 V8 4x4 King Ranch.
Old 10-07-2021, 05:26 PM   #5

I have a 2000 Pleasureway Lexor TD van on the Dodge chassis that I am thinking of selling. Tires are in good shape, and the brakes have recently been rebuilt. I also had any belts and/or hoses that looked worn replaced. It van body looks almost showroom ready; although it needs a bath right now. There are no dents or dings. Only issue that I know of at this time is the refrigerator seems to only work on LP gas. We have never used the shower, but everything else works. I have been offered $20,000.00, and turned it down. So I would consider that for it at this time. Give me a call if you are interested and we can talk about it. My cell number is 302-670-9034. I can send pictures also.
Nick&Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 05:02 AM   #6

Thanks. It doesn’t look like has the towing capacity I need and is outside what I was wanting to spend. But thanks for thinking of me!
Old 10-09-2021, 11:30 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENinATX View Post
Thanks. It doesn’t look like has the towing capacity I need and is outside what I was wanting to spend. But thanks for thinking of me!
How much towing capacity do you need?

As far as a price range:

One of my brothers in MN just sold his Roadtrek. It was a '93 Dodge 190(Popular, I think) with just under 200k miles on it, no shower in or out. It was very clean/no rust. It sold in two days for $14,000.

We sold our 2000 Chevy 200 Versatile last fall(before pricing really heated up) for $9000. The cabin air had just gone out(freon leak), 222k miles, and it sorely needed a $5k+ strip and paint job.

Every once in a while something shows up. The brother mentioned above had found a '94 Coach House B van parked on the side of the road with a for sale sign on it. Very clean, pretty much everything works, only eighty odd thousand miles on it, bought it for $8200. A steal in today's market. It was not advertised online. So, it can happen.

Happy hunting.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 01:46 PM   #8

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I’m going to hold off on buying anything for now. Realistically with my work schedule I don’t know how often I’d be able to use it. Probably why all the old brochures are targeted to people that look like they’re in retirement. 😏

I was going to delete my post, but I haven’t figured out how.

Old 10-12-2021, 03:12 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Why not consider a truck bed camper if sporadic use and need to tow a boat. You would then have a truck for every day use.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote