Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2020, 06:11 PM   #1

Default Windshield curtains

We have a 2010 Roadtrek popular 210. Our windshield curtains are pulling away . they are attached with rivets. Has anyone else had this problem? Not sure how to fix them. They are in perfect shape but the rivets are not holding. Poor design because the are often under stress no matter how careful we are. Thanks.
Jank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:17 PM   #2
Platinum Member

similar set up in my pleasure way I think.

the rail runs at the top of the windshield and above the doors and the curtain hangs down and constantly snags and pulls the rail

I used hot melt glue to some success- pulling back the "stud" which goes into the fabric, applying glue and pushing it back in..I also tried plastic drywall anchors

and then eureka!

I removed the darn curtain and I use a reflectix cover over the windshield- a suction cup hook at each top corner and the sun visor to push forward. reflectix panels over the side windows.

I tend to use the dash area for maps or books at night, now I get t them more easily

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 01:34 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Our interior curtains are on a track. You may also want to get a snooze bonnet for the outside- https://www.adcoprod.com/Class_C_Windshield_Covers
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 02:17 AM   #4
Platinum Member

2nd vote for an adco cover- I don't often use it, but it is very well made.
Mike
Old 08-19-2020, 03:14 AM   #5
Platinum Member

They don't list B covers. Do their C covers work on a B?
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:57 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Glenn, my PW is on a chev- is yours?
I have the #2409

The 2509 has cutouts for the side windows, which are screened and a nice upgrade- my next will be one of those

these have "pockets" which go over the top of the door so they are wind secure, magnets at the bottom of the window opening.
slots cut out for the mirror stalks, with a velcro tab

the only thing they need ( and I asked a few years ago) is a clear pocket, with a slit on the inside so you can slide thru & display a campground pass

Mike
Old 08-19-2020, 05:47 AM   #7
Silver Member

Timely thread as I have been researching options to block the sun/heat from the front of the cab.

I will be installing a headliner shelf with an insulated blackout curtain from vanwife in order to separate the cab from the living quarters which also serves my privacy needs while also providing some insulation.

So, whatever solution I choose for the windows will be strictly for keeping the heat out. Given that bonnets are external, it sounds like they would be more effective than internal shades?

This thread has put adco on my radar. Prior to that, I had narrowed my options down to the Sprinter Parts Depot cover in large part because customer reviews mention providing your VIN number to ensure a perfect and custom fit. It sounds like adco gets high praise here, but if someone has used the cover from Sprinter Parts Depot, I’d love to hear about your experience.

https://www.sprinterpartsdepot.com/p...33680467918983

PS. Why is this thread in the “practice your forum skills here” subforum?
Old 08-20-2020, 01:52 AM   #8
Platinum Member

You order the cover based on the van chassis - mine fits perfectly on my American Cruiser on a Dodge Ram Maxi 3500 chassis.
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 02:58 AM   #9
Platinum Member

These are a great idea, I would love them but park in LA, even in the wealthy neighborhoods I work in, the Criminals* drive & steal, almost with no repercussions.

How secure are these units, is there any guarantee they cannot be stolen?

*yesterday I was involved in pulling an individual out by his jeans who had climbed under my truck in a San Dimas shopping center to steal something*.

Within 30 seconds I was surrounded by people with tools threatening my Health. I called over a Security Guard who was hoping to not be seen to call the Police.

He did.

He called the Police against me for in pulling the "individual out" as his jeans & underwear came off in the process & he was not only in severe pain because of the lock I had on his ankle, his skin was being burned by the asphalt.

*catalytic converter/starter motor/whatever
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 03:02 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaucho View Post
Timely thread as I have been researching options to block the sun/heat from the front of the cab.

I will be installing a headliner shelf with an insulated blackout curtain from vanwife in order to separate the cab from the living quarters which also serves my privacy needs while also providing some insulation.

So, whatever solution I choose for the windows will be strictly for keeping the heat out. Given that bonnets are external, it sounds like they would be more effective than internal shades?

This thread has put adco on my radar. Prior to that, I had narrowed my options down to the Sprinter Parts Depot cover in large part because customer reviews mention providing your VIN number to ensure a perfect and custom fit. It sounds like adco gets high praise here, but if someone has used the cover from Sprinter Parts Depot, I’d love to hear about your experience.

https://www.sprinterpartsdepot.com/p...33680467918983

PS. Why is this thread in the “practice your forum skills here” subforum?
Gaucho, did you mean to write vanwife or did you mean vanlife?

Is an external skin more effective than one that is internal where the sun already hits the glass?

I would think the former but for the fact how do you stop thieves?
Old 08-20-2020, 03:04 AM   #11
Platinum Member

the 2409/2509 have straps which slide over top of the chevy doors. door closes on them, you have to open the door to remove
they are in the SF Valley, if you needed custom alterations

mike
Old 08-20-2020, 03:12 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
the 2409/2509 have pockets which slide over top of the chevy doors. door closes on them, you have to open the door to remove
they are in the SF Valley, if you needed custom alterations

mike
Thank you Mike,

I will head over there tonight as I need to find the source of my excessive DC Fridge power consumption.

Maybe we can meet some day, you are alwats very helpful & I presume that I am traveling through & around your old haunts here in LA.

It says Valencia, is that correct - did you drive to the factory themselves? Nothing better than dealing with the headquarters or as I refer to such facilities, the right end of the horse.

Mine is the 2004 Chevrolet 3500 Express Van chassis.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 08-20-2020, 03:19 AM   #13
Platinum Member

I traded some emails with them years ago regarding some suggestions.
They were very nice
My 2409 cover came with the 2006 rv/ 2005 chev van- I'd buy a 2509 ( screened window panels) if I were doing it again.
Mike
Old 08-20-2020, 03:36 AM   #14
Platinum Member

When you say Screened, what do you mean.

Their website isn't to easy to navigate with my phone but I can get the answer tomorrow.

Thank you!
Old 08-20-2020, 03:55 AM   #15
Platinum Member

3 panels open to let light through- those on the 2 doors are screened to allow air/fewer bugs

https://www.amazon.com/ADCO-2509-Cle.../dp/B003ZOL4SK

Old 08-20-2020, 04:06 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Thank you mike!
Old 08-20-2020, 04:11 AM   #17
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
Gaucho, did you mean to write vanwife or did you mean vanlife?
I meant vanwife.

I took a bit of a chance ordering their headliner shelf despite not being able to find reviews on it. The feature I liked is that the shelf includes a curtain rod that is compatible with the blackout shade they also sell. Here is their curtain with a video at the bottom:

https://www.vanwifecomponents.com/st...ackout-curtain

So, if I stealth camp or when heat isn’t an issue, I’ll just use that curtain. Where sun/heat is an issue, I will also use an external windshield cover (likely by adco) which must be more effective than internal shades. Also, i have read/heard of quite a few antidotes of internal shades trapping heat between the shade and windshield which can cause the windshield to crack. May be an urban myth, but it rings true to me as a possibility.

If the Pleasure Way shades disappoint me, I plan on buying shades from Van Made Gear.
Old 08-20-2020, 04:38 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaucho View Post
I meant vanwife.

I took a bit of a chance ordering their headliner shelf despite not being able to find reviews on it. The feature I liked is that the shelf includes a curtain rod that is compatible with the blackout shade they also sell. Here is their curtain with a video at the bottom:

https://www.vanwifecomponents.com/st...ackout-curtain

So, if I stealth camp or when heat isn’t an issue, I’ll just use that curtain. Where sun/heat is an issue, I will also use an external windshield cover (likely by adco) which must be more effective than internal shades. Also, i have read/heard of quite a few antidotes of internal shades trapping heat between the shade and windshield which can cause the windshield to crack. May be an urban myth, but it rings true to me as a possibility.

If the Pleasure Way shades disappoint me, I plan on buying shades from Van Made Gear.
Thank you - that myth has also been on my mind but I will check it out at my Alma mater, Google University right now.
Old 08-20-2020, 05:39 AM   #19
Silver Member

From what I can gather, it is possible for internal windshield shades to cause an already present defect in the glass (whether visible or invisible) to hasten the overall failure of the windshield. For me, it would be impossible to know this and trust the info without something as rigorous as a university/industry level study or solid data from something like insurance claims. Personal anecdotes are difficult to rely on for something that is a fairly uncommon experience that could have multiple causes.

But for me, as I decide for a solution for myself, I am really not comparing shades vs no shades. Rather, I am considering the prospect of internal shades vs external cover.

Weighing some pros and cons...

Pros of shades:
Don’t need to exit vehicle... could be a safety issue including if one needs to bug out quickly
Don’t need to clean
Not affected by weather, primarily wind
Much more appropriate for stealth camping... unless one also has a blackout curtain!

Pros of cover:
Inexpensive cover a better fit over inexpensive shades, on par with expensive magnet shades
Intuitively will block heat more effectively
Includes side windows as single item
Keeps windshield clean
May extend life of windshield due to blocking heat from outside which prevents possible temperature gradient.

I will live in a 19’ van, so storing both solutions just isn’t desirable, so I need to pick one solution, and a cover seems much more appealing to me. But I reserve the right to change my mind.

Looking forward to hearing the data from Google University.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:08 AM   #20
Platinum Member

i live in phx

routinely have some kind of cover inside the windshield

never had a crack that didn't have a rock associated with it

mike