Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2021, 06:35 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Doa - propane gas alarm??

Ordered a new propane gas alarm, model 30-442-P-WT, for our 2000 RoadTrek V-200.

Checked the wiring and confirmed the hot wire; I have 11.89 volts coming through.

Temporarily connected the gas alarm to check that it was functioning properly. Came back ten minutes later and nothing; no red or green LED light showing.

Shaking my head. Will contact MTI on Monday for help.

Any thoughts appreciated.
HorseshoeCat
Horseshoecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 09:30 PM   #2
Platinum Member

these are meant to be replaced periodically

a previous owner of my van had messed up the wiring- which I discovered when tracing back another wiring problem

"his" ( or her) wiring had an intermittent connection with a wire nut

on my pleasure way the wiring behind could be inspected under the sofa by lifting the cushions

have a look

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 09:53 PM   #3
Platinum Member

What is the minimum rated voltage on the unit. When you get below 12 volts sometimes it can be dicey to keep running. That is a pretty low battery if nothing else was running.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:58 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
What is the minimum rated voltage on the unit. When you get below 12 volts sometimes it can be dicey to keep running. That is a pretty low battery if nothing else was running.
True. But once I drained my battery during the night (heater) and when the alarm reached critical voltage it did start beeping. Was that the LP alarm or the CO alarm, I'm not sure. I also don't know how long it will beep before giving up. I cured it by running the engine for about 5 minutes. Later replaced the cheap house battery with a LifeLine.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:44 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I recently had a 200 amp hour gel battery installed and I will have to check it out. The battery monitor shows everything is okay. I will have to do more checking.

Thanks.
HorseshoeCat
Old 05-02-2021, 10:46 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
True. But once I drained my battery during the night (heater) and when the alarm reached critical voltage it did start beeping. Was that the LP alarm or the CO alarm, I'm not sure. I also don't know how long it will beep before giving up. I cured it by running the engine for about 5 minutes. Later replaced the cheap house battery with a LifeLine.
Will be going on a road trip Monday so I plan on checking it again. However, as best I can tell, my new battery is okay.

Appreciate the insight.

HorseshoeCat
Old 05-02-2021, 10:48 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
these are meant to be replaced periodically

a previous owner of my van had messed up the wiring- which I discovered when tracing back another wiring problem

"his" ( or her) wiring had an intermittent connection with a wire nut

on my pleasure way the wiring behind could be inspected under the sofa by lifting the cushions

have a look

Mike
The rear passenger seat comes off and the wiring is accessible for about 2 feet before it disappears into the wall.

I plan to do some more checking on this problem when I return from this next road trip.

I fully agree that the propane gas detectors should be replaced.....according to the manufacturer, it is every 5 years. I think I have seen some that say 10 years.

Just trying to be safe. Thanks for your insight.
HorseshoeCat
Old 05-03-2021, 12:35 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
LP alarm or the CO alarm, I'm not sure.

on my van the CO detector is my "low battery warning"

found out the hard way- well not hard, just inconvenient

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 01:39 AM   #9
Platinum Member

I don't know why your monitor would say under 12v is "OK" whatever it did say. That is a very low battery.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote