Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2014, 02:09 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Engine generator rules

We are in Smokie Mountain National Park, staying in one of the no electric campgrounds. The campground is not divided between tent and rv areas, but is divided between generator allowed and not allowed.

The interesting thing is that the generator rules, in regard to the no generator areas, and hours elsewhere, specifically say that "engine idling to charge batteries is prohibited".

Looks like the rules are starting to catch up with the technology. First time we have seen that.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:57 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Engine generator rules

What they need to do is ban those extremely rattlely diesel pickup trucks that haul 5th wheelers that take an hour to park and get situated.

I suspect they haven't caught up to Class B technology with second alternators and such but are probably aimed at those diesel pickups and diesel Class As as the catalyst for banning running engines. Those RVs in a mixed use RV/tent campground are kind of like bulls in a China shop. They are much louder than Sprinters.

Given what I planned for my upcoming B, my camping habits and the fact I seldom ever ran my Onan generator on my current B, I don't envision ever needing to run my engine in a campground to charge batteries. In a B it doesn't take much to plan ahead and if you really, really need to, just drive out and go check some scenery somewhere or drive into town for some groceries and supplies.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:27 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I suspect that people have always tried idle to recharge batteries to avoid generator rules. I doubt that this rule has anything to do with 'engine generators' themselves.

the good thing about Roadtreks engine generators is the fast charging
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:17 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

I think i suggested idling engines would probably be banned, like generators, in another discussion thread recently. All it takes is a few complaints and the next thing you know somebody legislates it. I also expect that it's not just the volume of noise issue, but the volume of exhaust gasses an idling automotive engine produces clean or not. Diesel burned smells, as does gasoline to a lesser degree, and it's at least as noxious as generator exhaust.

Nice park? Looks good online at the official website. No entrance fee.

Btw, be careful around the indigenous wildlife.....
http://www.nps.gov/grsm/naturescience/black-bears.htm
Old 10-10-2014, 04:11 PM   #5
Platinum Member

That park had generator and non generator/engine idling loops, which was very nice. We walked through the generator section a few times and it was constant droning from all sides. I think the biggest offenders are the folks that are towing with diesel pickups, as those trucks very often have dual batteries with massive alternators to keep them up and be able to handle plow lights. We saw several rigs that were tethered to the trailer with a good size cord.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:06 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

They're the ones we hear most often if we spend the night at a truck stop. The diesels are usually noisier than everything else. That certainly includes the big rigs. We see very few of those truck stops with the idle air setups. Mostly in the south. They help cut the idling diesels back a bit.