Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2020, 11:18 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Generator options

I posted in "tweaks" before I noticed this forum.... Newbie!
I am selling a 2012 Roadtrek Popular 190 with a generator problem. Cummins dealer wanted $4,000 to replace it with a new model...said discontinued model so couldn't repair.
We used it hardly at all...for some AC or coffee during lunch stop. My daughter used it boondocking and said it was hot under the bed. So.... I don't want to replace it but understand potential buyers think they need one.
A: Could a gererator be installed under the hood?
B: If I spent the money for a Honda 2000 and added storage, would it be expensive to connect the generator to the electrical system?
I am an idiot about generators so any experience or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!
tomiverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:45 PM   #2
Platinum Member

No. The Honda generator is not a viable replacement because it won’t run the A/C without some special work and cannot be integrated into the electrical system. It would have to be setup outside and the power cord plugged into it.

If you don’t want to fix the generator then sell it with a non-working generator. There are a lot of people that would buy it. Try it.

The under hood generator is also not a viable option as it requires major alterations to the electrical system and would also be very expensive.

Forget Cummins. It most probably can be repaired for less than $1000, probably $500. You would have to find a generator repair shop to do the work and it would cost $300 or so just to remove and replace it.

Sell it with a non working generator. It will sell. Take a $1000 to $2000 price hit.

You could probably fix it yourself for less than $200 and that is what a knowledgable buyer would be looking at.

Just an opinion.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:12 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Thanks and no offense taken. )
I went to the dealer thinking that would be the best quality repair. They charged me $300 to check it and then, at first, $2,000+ to repair it. I was pissed off and left, but later emailed that I wanted their estimate in writing....they replied that it was discontinued and the new model would be over $4k. That's the whole story, and yes, he saw a rube coming a mile away.
tomiverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:17 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Hi: I have seen used Onans on Craigslist for sale. Asking price was around $1K. You would have to find an independent shop to install it. Maybe another $500. for labor?
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:23 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlum View Post
Hi: I have seen used Onans on Craigslist for sale. Asking price was around $1K. You would have to find an independent shop to install it. Maybe another $500. for labor?

We sold our 2007 gas Onan with very low hours and in perfect shape due to no rust on it and it still had the ability to put out over rated wattage for $800 and it took a long time to do so as it generated very little interest in the Mpls are about 3 years ago. I offered it it cheaper than that to multiple dealers, who basically didn't want to deal with anything used unless a customer brought it in. They would not refer any customers to us to help, either, as they wanted to sell new ones only. Onans are as hard to sell as they are to find when you need one, because there are very few buyers and sellers of them around and are too far apart.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:29 PM   #6

There was an advertisement in the March 2020 Motorhome magazine about a new Onan QG 2800i generator. I couldn’t find anything about it on the internet and nothing on the Onan/Cummins website. Onan/Cummins dealers don’t know about them and don’t have them in stock. Presumably an inverter generator.

Apparently a “teaser” advertisement; Onan’s advertising department must have put out the advertisement without coordinating with the rest of the company.
tomnorman457 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roadtrek 190 generator