Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-13-2020, 07:42 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Roadtrek RS Adventurous Inverter Upgrade

My 2006 RT Adventurous has a 750W Tripplite Inverter/Charger, which produces modified sine wave 120 VAC, which is delivered only to the galley and TV/audio outlets. These outlets also receive power when shore power or generator are connected.

The modified sine wave 120 VAC is not tolerated by modern appliances, so despite being well below the 750W rating of the inverter, trip off.

I am thinking a pure sine wave inverter will allow operation of newer appliances. My plan is to set the Tripplite to "Charge Only", and install a new 1000 or 1500W pure sine wave inverter supplied from the outlet side of the 12V relay and fed into the 120V Inverter Output receptacle.

I would note for full context that the coach batteries have been upgraded to two 6V x 235 Ah, and that a Victron Battery monitor has been added. Although the RT is also equipped with a generator, my primary objective in upgrading the inverter is to be able to make coffee or otherwise use electricity if I am without shore power and camping where generator run-times are limited.

With the extra capacity, I am also thinking the new inverter could connect to the entire AC bus. But that raises two questions, neither of which are answered by the electrical distribution diagram or the RT manual.

1. Since the two outlets powered by the inverter are also powered up when shore tie or generator are connected, what segregates the other outlets to prevent their being fed while operating just on the inverter? I am thinking diodes but am not sure where they are located.

2. If the inverter is connected to the entire 120V bus, how do I (automatically) prevent inverted 120V power being sent to the Tripplite charger and back to the battery, which would result in accelerated battery drain? A relay cutout might be one way to do this.

For context, I have already upgraded my batteries to provide 235 Ah, and have installed a battery monitoring system, and am equipped with a generator. My main objective is to support coffee maker and other devices in situations such as camping without shore tie when generator run times are limited.
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote