Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2020, 06:35 PM   #1

Default Hello from MN

New to the RV world. We are deciding which B class. Great forum!

Safe travels,

Durable
Durable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 07:23 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum Durable!

Lots of good folks on this forum willing to help and share information.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 12:17 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Welcome!

We are long time Class B RVers from Minnesota. There are a few of us in this forum.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:01 AM   #4

Thank you for the welcome! How are the MB Sprinters doing during our winters? I only hesitate on them because the diesel and keeping it warm during our "cool" season. We would have loved to drive south during our last polar vortex! There is a Great West Legend Sprinter at the dealership that we were looking at!

Safe travels!

Durable
Old 06-09-2020, 01:29 PM   #5
Platinum Member

We had a Great West Legend prior to our Advanced RV. Is it silver metallic? The were great RVs about the best you could get from a dealer. The company was sold and then promptly went bankrupt in just a couple of years. Sad, but there is nothing proprietary about them an RV dealer or shop couldn't service.

We stored our GWV Legend outside in the winter and the MB Sprinter always started up. Now we have a heated garage condo and the best part is we don't have to clean leaves, maple seeds and sap off the roof in the spring, or snow in the winter and we don't have to winterize.
Old 06-09-2020, 01:49 PM   #6

Davydd, The one they had was green and black, it was very nice. We do not have heated storage just the driveway. We will purchase a proper cover once we land on a B class. The Advanced looks very nice!

Safe travels!

Durable
Old 06-09-2020, 04:13 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durable View Post
We will purchase a proper cover once we land on a B class.
You should research opinions on RV covers before you buy one. It is not at all clear that covers are a net positive. They trap dirt and then grind it in to the paint as it flaps in the wind.

I have left both of our B vans (including our current GWV Legend) outdoors and uncovered for 15 winters now without any obvious negative effect. Just be sure to curtain the windows so as to protect the interior from sun damage.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:55 PM   #8

Avanti, very interesting! I don't know the winters in your area. Are they like Minnesota? I will be following your advice for window covers, thank you! I will also search the forum to determine if a cover will have a positive impact.

Safe travels!

Durable
Old 06-09-2020, 08:38 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I don't use covers, due to the danger of skuffing due to grit

I have a 20' x 10' frame next to my home and park under that I did some work to get it to accomodate my 9'4"height. the legs are anchored

the covering is the "coolaroo" type material- it allows water through, it also allows wind through ( so it doesn;t fly), I'm in AZ where I wanted more of a sunshade

I have covers for all my windows cut from reflectix ( home depot)

the van came with an ADCO windshield & side window exterior cover- this is VERY durable and worth the cost

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:48 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durable View Post
Avanti, very interesting! I don't know the winters in your area. Are they like Minnesota? I will be following your advice for window covers, thank you! I will also search the forum to determine if a cover will have a positive impact.

Safe travels!

Durable
I suspect that, for purposes of this discussion, Pennsylvania winters are WORSE than Minnesota. You get cold and stay there, we constantly cycle. The latter is almost certainly harder on the vehicle. What are you trying to protect from? Snow? Snow is protective. I would be more likely to use a cover in the southwest--I can see dust storms being problematic. Winter, not so much.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:14 AM   #11
Platinum Member

We are in northern Minnesota and have left our sprinter based Roadtrek parked outside for the last two winters. We have not had problems starting it even after a week of -20 lows. The gas stations here all sell winter mix fuel. We did have the power steering go out when a hose came off in extreme cold weather. They steer kind of hard without the power steering.

The other issue is getting road salt off it. We have found a couple indoor car washes that will handle the Roadtrek's 9'7" height, but the closest one is 45 miles away.

That said, we have used it in below zero and it has worked like a champ. No water, but we flush the toilet with RV anti-freeze. It sure is warmer than a tent.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:50 PM   #12
Platinum Member

The power steering hose can disconnect in warm weather. I know. I had the problem and it is a known MB problem. They said it was rare. How, I don't know because the connection seemed normal to me. I agree, the snow never bothered me unless I wanted to drive. I lived in a Maple forest when I stored outside and the sap and seeds were more troublesome.

Old 06-14-2020, 05:31 PM   #13
Platinum Member

If you look at Sprinter-based Roadtreks consider the in-floor diesel heat option. We've been toasty warm inside at -7F, running on lowest setting (with some insulation over windows and doors). I know folks who have been comfortable at -20F. Also, the heating system can be used to pre-heat the engine when its really cold out. I've only started in -10F so never had to use that feature.
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote