Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2009, 05:50 PM   #1

Default New Membership

After more than a year of research, I could not justify the huge expense of a new Class B. We were able to find a 2003 Roadtrek 19 Popular and we are happy with our purchase so far. I decided that membership in this forum was what I needed. A few questions from a new owner:

The 2003 has a strange dump system. As I see it, after I dump the tanks, I have to hold the hose in the housing with one hand; lift the housing with the second hand; fold down the flap with the third hand; and then line up the the systems to insert the cotter pin with the fourth hand. I have to do all this while standing on my head and working in the dark. Has anyone found an easy way to reassemble the holding tank pieces? By the way, the Roadtrek instruction book advises that the support spring has to be wrapped around the flap to ensure that the hose does not come out. After frantically looking for the support spring, I found that mine did not come with one. I assume it was a later modification which did not get into the book.

The first time I brought the motor home in for inspection and repair, they damaged the area below the passenger door, probably by wedging a jack under the vehicle. Does anyone know where I can find the color code for the light blue portion of the paint?

Finally, I had considerable trouble trying to become a member in the first place. I could not read the verifying code required to register because I am color blind and have the beginnings of a cataract. The web page advises me to contact the Administrator if I am unable to read the code. However, there was no method to contact anyone. When I clicked on the contact Program Administrator, nothing happened. After a number of attempts, I got someone else to read the code and managed to get registered.
nb king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:54 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: New Membership

Welcome to a truly outstanding forum with a great bunch of participants. Also, congrats on the '03 RT - they are a neat machine. We have an 05 190P on an 04 Chev frame. Your comments concerning the sewage set-up is really appropriate....believe we all have complained about it - especially the cheesey hose. We picked ours up and went immediately on the road; the first time I read the manual in preparation for dumping "just a little confused." It was pouring rain in late Novemeber, only the cold side of the month, and we couldn't get it to dump properly because we were level with the dump and gravity feed wasn't going to cut it. Next eye opener was getting that hose and the pipe back into position....sailor language abounded. Lo and behold, another Trekker shows up - same year and model - and he yells out that you better be looking for a macerator system or you will drown sometime, laughed and drove off!!! What the....is a macerator I wondered. When we returned home I looked it up, also checked the RT Owner's Group at Yahoo and ordered it immediately. Oh yeah, in the interim, I contacted a RT Dealer and asked about having a macerator installed -- they said something like $600 - did I want to order the system...and they would install - I defered!! I went to RV Sani-Con and ordered the macerator, the wiring, all the pieces separately - and their telephone advice was invaluable; cost about $180.00.
If you are interested in installing yourself please send me a PM or e-mail and I will be more than glad to help you...along with all the folks here. Ron
Old 06-18-2009, 04:35 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum nb king.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb king
..............Does anyone know where I can find the color code for the light blue portion of the paint?...........
I suggest sending a quick email to service@roadtrek.com - they'll know for sure. Include the vehicle identification number (VIN).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb king
..........Finally, I had considerable trouble trying to become a member in the first place. I could not read the verifying code required to register because I am color blind and have the beginnings of a cataract. The web page advises me to contact the Administrator if I am unable to read the code. However, there was no method to contact anyone. When I clicked on the contact Program Administrator, nothing happened. After a number of attempts, I got someone else to read the code and managed to get registered.
I'm sorry about the trouble but glad you persisted.

I would do away with all the "security" if I could. The problem is with some automated applications that are programed to roam the internet and "join" forums just to promote things like pharmaceuticals etc. The forum would be overwhelmed by them without the "security" in place.

For me, clicking on the contact Administrator link automatically starts my email program (MS Outlook) with an email addressed to the administrator. I suspect that your computer probably has higher security setting than mine which blocked that process.

I keep the forum software up-to-date and hopefully a future release will keep it secure but also give better options for anyone who has any problem with the way it is now.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:00 PM   #4

This is certainly a good start.

I contacted service@roadtrek.com and they sent me the color code in a matter of hours. For those who may be interested, it is Oxford Blue and the color code is from the 1989-1993 Toyota Code 8G2 or PP# 16842. It should be readily available at any auto supply store.

The problem in trying to register was that I could not contact the administrator or anyone else unless I was registered, and I could not register until I contacted the Administrator. Perhaps there should be a visitor area to allow potential members to contact someone about a problem.

As for the macerator pump, I have already contacted info@thetford to get details. Having lived most of my life as an accountant, I have trouble screwing in a light bulb. Fortunately, we have children who are much more adept at these type of things. When I get the details about the pump, and discuss it with one of our children, I will contact Ron again for any additional tips that may help in the installation.

Although I am not new to RVing, this is my first attempt at a Roadtrek. I am sure I will have more problems to solve along the way.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:02 PM   #5

Here is the reply I got from Thetford on the macerator pump.

They are easy to install, I believe they run about $500 new, we do not sell them direct, a RV dealer would have to qoute you. I would go through your local RV dealer or a Camping World near you to purchase the unit.

It would seem that the price has dramatically increased since Ron purchased his. I will have to do more research on sources of supply both here and in Florida this winter.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:38 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Here's a link that should help or at least give you some ideas:

Macerator waste pump in the 4" pipe - Roadtrek
Link: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=39

I tried portable at first but preferred a more permanent installation.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:27 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

You did all that installation of the macerator pump and switch and hoses just so you wouldn't have
to uncoil the standard hose to dump?
Wow.
I do agree though, standard dumping is a bit awkward.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:14 AM   #8
Platinum Member

I did it so that I could empty my tanks at home. The sewer clean-out I connected to was uphill from the van and about 40 feet distant. The macerator worked great for that.

Also, the dump station at my favorite campground had a curb around making it difficult to empty my Roadtrek's tanks. The macerator solved that problem.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:12 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Did you remove the "blue hose of death" from the black exit pipe before installing the mac-pump?
I'm assuming the pump merely empties the section of black pipe with the
flex hose inside (or removed if you did) and the cap on the end to keep the
flex hose from dragging on the ground, once you pull the gate valve releases?
And the pump never got clogged or plugged with tp or "anything else" in a 3/4" hose?
Interesting.
Now you've got my attention.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:21 AM   #10
Platinum Member

No clogs ever.

I left the blue hose in place and basically attached the pump to the end of it. Valves remained closed until time to dump as usual. If the pump ever failed I would only need a flat head screw driver to remove the pump and be able to dump the traditional way.