Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2021, 12:35 AM   #1

Default New RV owner

Hello,
I’m starting small and probably staying small as it’s usually just me. Hiker trailer, the off-road model. Own a Jeep Wrangler so tend to fish as remotely as possible, having this trailer means I can camp in these areas as well. Given I’ll have trips 1-2 weeks long off the grid a good solar recharging system is important to me. Planning a large 12v fridge and of course there will be lighting and recharging of devices for entertainment. Want to stay away from generators as well. Hoping this forum can provide some additional info on my set up.

By the way I realize this site is largely the van as RV crowd which is cool. Seems to fit my needs as far as electricity as my trailer is in the ballpark size wise
Jonesdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 02:51 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesdds View Post
Hello,
I’m starting small and probably staying small as it’s usually just me. Hiker trailer, the off-road model. Own a Jeep Wrangler so tend to fish as remotely as possible, having this trailer means I can camp in these areas as well. Given I’ll have trips 1-2 weeks long off the grid a good solar recharging system is important to me. Planning a large 12v fridge and of course there will be lighting and recharging of devices for entertainment. Want to stay away from generators as well. Hoping this forum can provide some additional info on my set up.

By the way I realize this site is largely the van as RV crowd which is cool. Seems to fit my needs as far as electricity as my trailer is in the ballpark size wise

Have you done an energy balance look at to try to determine how much power per day you would be using and compare that against how much power your various sources of power will provide per day?

IMO, this is an important first step to do as the whole system will be based on how much power you really need to stay offgrid continuously, which is what you looking at once you get past 3-5 days with most systems.

Large 6+cf 12v frigs can easily use up all the power from smaller solar setups, so more solar or intermittent charging from driving, shore power, or generator may be needed, especially if it turns cloudy for more than a day
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 06:46 PM   #3

With my setup almost complete I am also in the market for a charger. I do have the Battery Tender 4 amp but it seems so slow. My 200aH LiPo was at 12.9V and leaving on charger for 6 hours didn't fully charge it. Battery Tender is brand new and settings are correct.
Jonesdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 06:55 PM   #4
Platinum Member

a 4 amp charger would take 50 hours ( x 4 amps) to charge 200 amp hour ( ah) battery from flat

the 6 hours x 4 amps would have given you at best case 24 ah

suggest you see what charge rate the battery will accept

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote