Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2017, 07:39 PM   #1

Default New to camper vans

So I bought a 2000 Coach House 190rs a few months ago. I'm still in the process of getting ready to hit the road, and I'm gradually discovering the problems the seller did not disclose. I have a binder full of materials, mostly consisting of manuals for the various options, but I need some help sorting out how the systems work together and how to bring things up to snuff. So I have some simple (I like "simple" better than "dumb") questions.

This wide body coach is built on a Dodge RAM 3500. I've heard that these have some handling problems. I've looked into wheel extenders and will probably get those soon. What would be the best shocks?

There are two marine house batteries. These should be charged by the engine's alternator as I drive, right?

If the house batteries are charged, I should be able to use interior electrics such as the microwave, coffee maker, and house lights, right? Also, shouldn't the onboard generator be started by the house batteries?

The generator runs on gasoline. If I run the house AC and generator overnight, will it drain the fuel tank and leave me stranded?

There is a Dometic fridge/freezer, but doesn't seem to work. Are these expensive to repair? How can I troubleshoot this problem?

The van has air assist rear suspension. The seller told me I would have to inflate the air bags "by hand," which is no problem because I always carry a jump box with a built in compressor, but one of the air bags leaked down overnight. If I get that fixed, could I expect the system to hold pressure, or does the air assist require its own compressor for constant or frequent pressure adjustments?

The van AC isn't cooling. Blower motor runs, and I can see the actuator for the blend door move when I switch from AC to heat, but I get no air from the dash vents, only the windshield and floor vents, regardless of the setting. There is no cabin air filter, so that eliminates one potential cause. The dash fan works on only two of its four settings. I replaced the resistor. To replace the fan switch and connector, do I have to get the whole dash off?

I apologize for such a long post and so many questions, but if anyone has the same or similar van, I would really appreciate your input.

Craig
Craigart14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:49 PM   #2
Platinum Member

chassis stuff is a "any dodge" or "any auto AC repair" kinda question.

the dometic manual is available online- just go through the manual and deduce what is or isn;t working...check fuses- on my pleasure-way i discovered a 30amp fuse which wasn;t documented anywhere... found by accident when looking at another concern.

most battery systems won;t have enough power to run a micrwave- mine won't I only have 1 nattery- it charges from the alternator when driving, or from a charger when the van is plugged into ac or the genny running.

most gennys are plumbed into the gas tank at about 1/3rd- this'll prevent you from running the tank dry when you are in the woods.
you should check this.

i spent many hours in the driveway figuring out the systems (and youtube), before my first overnight, then a couple of weekend trips...still questions pop up once in a while

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:11 PM   #3
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigart14 View Post

... I've heard that these have some handling problems. I've looked into wheel extenders and will probably get those soon. What would be the best shocks?

Craig

Why don't you drive a little first and see if what you have "heard" is really true?
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
Why don't you drive a little first and see if what you have "heard" is really true?
Maybe I should have said I've heard that wheel extenders will improve the handling. I've driven it enough to know it likes to wander.

Craig
Craigart14 is offline   Reply With Quote