Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2023, 11:49 PM   #1

Default Newbie from Illinois.

Hi all. Bought my 23’ Thor Sequence in January. Been on 3 camping trips and heading to South Dakota in 3 weeks. Been fun for the wife and I so far. Minor issues but nothing crazy, yet! Looking forward to reading and learning on the forum.
Sparks701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 04:12 PM   #2

Hey, where you going in South Dakota?

I've always wanted to visit the Badlands National Park. Those sprawling canyons look awesome!
Move-On-uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 06:02 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move-On-uP View Post
I've always wanted to visit the Badlands

C'mon, Over

We have lots of places to see... A little farther north are Alberta's Badlands are where dinosaur fossils are found -and sites such as Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump.

Arizona's Grand Canyon has to be seen in person- nice campground there.

I love traveling the West ( & east)
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 06:28 PM   #4
Platinum Member

We go to South Dakota every spring and stay in Custer for two weeks for great hiking. We make our reservations as soon as the open, a year ahead of time. They fill up quickly, but sometimes you can get lucky if you catch a cancellation just as it shows up. We did that on a trip to the west a few years ago when were heading to the the Rockies around Boulder and west to the coast. We were going to stay in Wind Cave National park which is just short of Custer, but was watching the reservation site just in case. I don't know if they added a wait list and notification list like some states have, but I do know their new a few year ago reservation site is one of the worst I have ever used.

Hiking Bear Butte is also very nice and we have done it several times. It is Rocky and steep with a lot of loose rock to go across but really nice at the top with the view. It is not easy hike, though.

The Badlands are beautiful and we stayed in the National Park there a couple of times. It has now gotten very hard to get in as it busy now and the last time we were there they were so disorganized they didn't know if they would have open sites that day and all we could do was go to the campground and ask everyone if they were leaving that day. There is a very nice KOA that isn't the typical parking lot you usually see just south of the Badlands on the road to them. There is also a private campground on the road to the badlands to them from I90. It doesn't look stellar, though, so we have never tried there.

Usually now we just go there for a day and drive around, maybe hike some nice but barren with big rock formations trails and then go stay elsewhere.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 11:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move-On-uP View Post
Hey, where you going in South Dakota?

I've always wanted to visit the Badlands National Park. Those sprawling canyons look awesome!
Black hills. Badlands. Custer. Sylvan lake. Mount Rushmore. Any and everything we can pack into 8 days!
Sparks701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 10:17 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks701 View Post
Hi all. Bought my 23’ Thor Sequence in January. Been on 3 camping trips and heading to South Dakota in 3 weeks. Been fun for the wife and I so far. Minor issues but nothing crazy, yet! Looking forward to reading and learning on the forum.

WELCOME, Sorry to have taken so long with the welcome. How have your trips been going any questions you may have feel free to ask away. Enjoy the B Forum, and the road trip adventures in the outdoors.
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote