Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2018, 03:53 AM   #1

Default Newb's from Kamloops, BC - VanAmera

Greetings all

My wife Kathy and I have just embarked on the adventure of doing a restoration on a 1990 Chev G20 conversion from VanAmera/Super-van. These units were built in Kelowna BC, and like so many other builders, they have gone away with only a few old vans left to remind us they one existed.

Our old girl is what I would call a hybrid Travel/Class B van. It has a travel vans (shorty) raised roof and interior, has a couch/fold down bed in back, built in propane system for the RV furnace and 3 way fridge, as well as a cabinet with a sink that holds the appliances. Sort of a 'Class B lite' if you will.

She is solid, but well used. The odo shows 236,000 km, and she shows the miles and years. However, she looks to be strong and with a bit of TLC, and a fair amount of time and money, we think she has a fair amount of life left in her.

We are still at the 'survey & mechanical' stage (hey, is only been a week...) So it will be a bit before we lift the 'City Limits' restriction and we get out on the highway. To use the words of Jeff Foxworthy, poking around the van "is kinda like getting a present from your Grandma... You don't know what you're going to find, but you're pretty sure you aren't gonna like it". Lots of little things, as you would expect from a 30 year old rig. But she deserves a bit of love and a second chance.

We look forward to sharing what we can here, and getting to know some of the group here on the old World Wide Webdom!

Scott & Kathy
The Sticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 03:59 PM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

Welcome and congratulations.

Got pix?
Old 04-29-2018, 04:57 PM   #3

Well, seeing as you asked...

She needs an interior redo, and new exterior paint. We want to stay close to her roots, but update a bit and maybe a bit less 'stripey' upholstery. But first, brakes and steering work, and repairs to engine/trans seals to keep the fluids off the driveway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180425_181929.jpg (256.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20180429_094842.jpg (226.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20180429_095037.jpg (253.3 KB, 8 views)
The Sticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 05:44 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Looks like a fun project! Keep us updated, please.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:26 PM   #5

Lots of fun. Wish my 92 G30 Rally Stx had the raised roof. You're going to have grand adventures with your van !!! We built ours into a campervan for fulltiming. We know this is not THE van just the First .... Hope to have a full Class B in a few years
john.orourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:33 PM   #6

Your van looks to be in way better condition than ours was, so fear not. You got this! Sure, there will be times when you scratch your head and think, “What did I get myself into?” But you will have fun and learn so much in the process. Good luck and congratulations as you embark on an exciting new journey!
Trulymadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:25 PM   #7

I have found that Chevy & GMC trucks are fairly inexpensive to repair.

You might want to get acquainted with your local truck salvage yards for any interior or body pieces you might need. Most of that stuff is long discontinued by GM. That van body was used from 1972 thru 1995, plus the 1-ton 1996.
ThroatwarblerMangrov is offline   Reply With Quote