Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2016, 08:08 AM   #1

Default Winter trip suggestions wanted

We bought the 70C, and plan to take a winter road trip from San Antonio TX. We want to hear suggestions for a 9 day drive heading east, to Florida. Or west, to New Mexico - Arizona. Or south, which would be Mexico. We need good stops to visit along the way, and good places to park at night. Love to hear from you!
Sam & Derba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:48 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Oh, I thought you were looking for WINTER trips.

We are going to Tahquamenon Falls State Park in Michigan's UP next month to meet up with about 30 Class B vans undertaking the same challenge of subzero temperatures and snow measured in feet, not inches.

If you are looking for direction I would prefer Arizona over Florida. Florida is overrun and there are really few boondocking situations. You could spend a month in Arizona and never see a campground if you wanted, but lots of beauty.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 03:39 PM   #3
Platinum Member

From SA headed West- I- 10 looks like a natural...but don't. stay away from interstates unless you are in a hurry.

we are coming into snowbird season in AZ and there will be many boondocking on public lands- esp around quartzite.

( you will spot many license plates from Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Michigan and Minnesota!)

some travel South into baja- rock point/puerto penasco, or san felipe

I really like rt 60, which you would have to go North to get, lots of small towns and mom and pops- it IS the way we mythologize rt 66...it just doesn't have song.
coming across western NM on the high desert and into AZ is really nice. you'll be at elevation so it could be cool up there.

get out a map and some crayons and start looking at various routes and destinations

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 04:00 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Winter trip? Come to Winnipeg Canada. You'll get to see winter in all it's spectacular beauty. And right now it's only -40 C, and if you don't know the Celcius temperature range I'll convert that to Fahrenheit for you, it's -40 F. Don't worry it'll warm up, we have a high today of -38C.

I know, you're thinking South. But when I hear the words winter trip I think heading somewhere cold.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 02:36 AM   #5
Silver Member

I would not drive too far for a 9-day trip or you will not be able to enjoy the places you’re visiting. We like visiting national parks. If you decided to go to AZ, Big Bend NP/ Carlsbad Cavern NP/ White Sands NM/ and Saguaro NP in AZ would be good stops along the way (we’re planning on same route this spring, coming from CA to TX). I also heard good things about Caverns of Sonora in Texas. I would recommend visiting Sedona, AZ if you ended up in that area, lots of things to do and see there and around that area.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:56 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Some folks really speak highly of South Padre at this time of year. I haven't tried it myself.

Generally, though, in late December, options are limited and those that are above freezing tend to be crowded, as other posters have noted. If your trip coincides with a good stretch of weather, you could consider Palo Duro also. But yesterday TPWD Instagrammed a photo of the snowfall there.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 03:57 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Northern coast of Ca and Oregon has very mild weather in the winter. I live near the Oregon border on the Ca coast and I usually wear a t-shirt most days even in the winter. Plus, once you get a couple of hundred miles north of SF, you are less apt to see snowflakes of any type.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:00 PM   #8
Platinum Member

BTW, for you folks in the north east, I'm in Oceanside,Ca on the beach and it's going to be a chilling 70F today.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:30 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I am sorry to say that it will reach 73F today. I'm with a group of people who want to experiance sub 80F temps and test their rigs, so far we have had several losses of beer and a potential sunburn.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:47 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman View Post
BTW, for you folks in the north east, I'm in Oceanside,Ca on the beach and it's going to be a chilling 70F today.
sounds brutal!
ManWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:10 PM   #11
Platinum Member

I'm afraid it reached 77f today. We had a couple of whales cruise by. Life's tough on the west coast.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:52 PM   #12
Platinum Member

But you don't have ice fishing, you don't know what you're missing...
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:15 PM   #13
Rok
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceper View Post
Sure they do. After they fix their highballs, they have to take the tongs and fish around in the ice bucket for the perfect piece of ice.

Rok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:43 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceper View Post
+1, irrespective of whether it was intended in jest. Ice fishing is one of the few things I miss from my early life in Canada.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:14 PM   #15
Platinum Member

I've lived in Minnesota for 46 years and have NEVER ice fished. There are some things I plan not to ever do like ice fish and eat lutefisk.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 03:18 PM   #16
Platinum Member

I live in Ca, most people run when they hear "ICE".
Old 12-25-2016, 07:54 PM   #17
Platinum Member

I.C.E.! Right?
AZ ADVenturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:26 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
+1, irrespective of whether it was intended in jest. Ice fishing is one of the few things I miss from my early life in Canada.
I spent a lot of time ice fishing, more accurately fishing on ice, with my Dad while growing up in Minnesota. I left the state at age 22 when I joined the Navy. I don't miss fishing on ice because it has memories of me being perpetually cold.

But I do remember it being a lot of fun to spear fish for large Northern Pike inside an ice house. The worst part was cutting that big hole in the ice to spear fish. We spear fished in shallow water about 3-4 feet deep. Seeing that big fish go after you lure was a real thrill.

Merry Christmas and Happy New year to all,
- - Mike
Old 12-25-2016, 11:58 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I've lived in Minnesota for 46 years and have NEVER ice fished. There are some things I plan not to ever do like ice fish and eat lutefisk.
We don't call it lutefisk where I come from, but I absolutely love it. If I could find it for sale in Houston, I would buy it.

Everyone freezes half to death while ice fishing - at least they did in my day. It was part of the appeal. These days, some folks have fancy little shacks that they tow out on skids, that sit over the holes. But nobody had the likes of that years ago.

I used to participate in ocean ice fishing on ice skates (where I'm from is far enough north that the ocean bays freeze over). Fish for a while, then when a hypothermic coma was about to set in, break off and skate like mad to get some body heat going, then return to the hole, rinse, repeat. We all learned at a very young age to keep checking our fingernails for that telltale bluing. And to watch the lips of our friends for same.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:18 AM   #20
Bronze Member

I drove I-10 to Florida from California and back this time last year. If you are going East to Florida there are a number of parks along the Gulf Coast around Pensacola. Here is one:

Camping | Alapark

Be prepared for heavy rain and tornado warnings. I drive a lot of miles in all conditions, but I must say my drive into Pensacola late in the evening after 12 hours behind the wheel went down as one of my most challenging driving in the rain experiences. I hit some extremely heavy rain on I-10 that windshield wipers could not keep up with. I had to reduce my speed. Once in South Carolina it rained so hard, everyone just pulled over to the side of the road. I have never used it before but if I return I may put RainX in wiper fluid tank. Being Winter get this stuff:

https://www.rainx.com/product/windsh...-washer-fluid/

If you head West, I enjoyed my stay in Fort Davis about 45 minutes south of I-10 down RT. 17 (South).

Davis Mountains State Park — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department

I look forward to returning when I get my camper van to spend some time exploring this area of West Texas in the Marfa and Alpine area. Big Bend State Park is down the road on the border.
Skutumpah is offline   Reply With Quote