Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default 2011 Sprinter Check Engine Light

I have a 2011 Sprinter (PW Plateau) and on Tuesday when I was heading out on a trip the check engine light came on. I was 20 miles from my local Mercedes dealer and I took it there. They checked the codes and updated the software and added some DEF as a part of the checking process. The diagnosis was "just an error" - there was nothing wrong with it and the light came on just because. I went on my way.

I drove about 600 miles to Lake Placid and all was fine. Then this afternoon, just now, the light came on again. I noticed it as I was pulling into a parking lot.

I've read the book, and it's all doom and gloom - dire warnings of "engine in emergency mode" and the van not starting if I drive it too much.

What's the deal? Anyone else have these issues? Anyone know of a MB Sprinter service location in upstate NY? It's still under warranty so I need a dealer.

I looked briefly on Sprinter Source and found a thread that indicated that others have had similar problems, but there was just one thread.
teachergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: 2011 Sprinter Check Engine Light

I had a random check engine light once and was told it was possibly moisture in the fuel line, which would go away in 100 mi or so. It did just that and never came back. Any service station with a scanner can read the code from your OBD port. It would help identify the problem if you knew specifically what that code was. On my RT Sprinter, the port is located just under the dash near the driver side door - inside the fuse box.

There's a Dodge dealer in Saranac Lake, which is not too far west of you: Upstate Auto, phone (88 577-6526. Of course, their service dept is closed on weekends. Mercedes in upstate NY, not so much. Shelburne, VT has the closest: Automaster, service phone 800-639-8033. Also closed weekends. Some MB dealers do not service Sprinters.

Hope this helps,
Dan F.
arrveedogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #3
Gold Member

Thank you Dan! I'll be exploring the Saranac Lake area next week so I can def stop into the Dodge dealer and at least get them to read it and give me some peace of mind! Hopefully it's something silly and I can get home and then take it to the MB/Sprinter Dealer there.

We found a Sprinter service center in Troy, NY so there's a place to go if it needs work in order to get me home.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #4
Silver Member

It sounds like your are having the same problem I am having with my 2011 PW Plateau. The check engine light has been on more than it has been off. I have had it in 4 times each time it is a software issue. When we 1st got it we had random check engine light, they said the codes did not make sense and uploaded new soft ware. It was not out of the shop 4 days on again. Reset with more software. We started a trip 4 days later and the DEF light and check engine light came on, had to take it back. They said they could not figure it out right away, software again they thought. The DEF light was on but the 20 starts warning was not so we went on out vacation and brought it in when we returned. More software issues updated. Two days later check engine again. More software updates. We have been about a week with no trouble.

The dealer says that MB has a lot of computers on board, a lot more than most cars so they are more prone to this type of thing.

Good luck, I hope you have gotten the problem resolved.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:34 AM   #5
Gold Member

Well, the CEL went out as randomly as it came on so... If it's going to randomly come on for no good reason then it's not going to get as much of my attention!
I played phone tag with my service guy at my MB dealer and he said that as long as the van is driving ok then the CEL isn't something to worry about. He told me it would be ok to drive it almost 600 miles home and bring it back to them.

I did take it to the Dodge dealer in Saranac Lake, they were very helpful but they no longer have the software for the Sprinters so couldn't help. I also tried to get them to read it at Advance Auto Parts but as I expected her tool doesn't work on the Sprinter.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:39 AM   #6
Bronze Member

Boy, you spend tens of thousands of dollars for what you think is the state of the art B, and then your check engine light goes on and/or your fridge goes out. I'm beginning to wonder...
VanGoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:54 AM   #7
Platinum Member

There is some good info on the Sprinter check engine light here.

Quote:
Depending on how the system is configured and the nature of the problem, the lamp may come on and go off, remain on continuously or flash – all of which can be very confusing to the motorist because he has no way of knowing what the light means. Is it a serious problem or not? If the engine seems to be running okay, the motorist may simply ignore the light. With OBDII, the Check Engine light will come on only for emissions-related failures. A separate warning light must be used for other non-emissions problems such as low oil pressure, charging system problems, etc.
They go on to describe the codes for emissions problem, which could be something as simple as a fouled spark plug. I'm surprised that a chain auto parts place couldn't read them.
arrveedogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:02 PM   #8
Bronze Member

I am having a similar issue with my CEL. It just came on yesterday for the second time in two years. No idea why. It is running fine as far as I know. The first time the CEL can on the dealer determined that they had to replace the EGR valve. This was done under warranty. I already have an appointment for next Thursday for the 48,000 KM service and will let them deal with it then.

My SLR light has been on for some time now. It started by flashing ON and OFF periodically. Then staying ON more than OFF. Now it seems to be ON all the time. Again ... I'll let them deal with that. I know it has something to do with the Supplementary Restraint System ... but does anyone have any ideas as to why the light might be on? I have not made any modifications to the seats or removed the front seats ever.

I am finding the Mercedes Sprinter and little sensitive with all these code errors. I am getting ready for some major trips in the next couple years where I'll be gone for 3-6 months at a time. I sure don't want any aggravation while I'm away.

Does anyone have the OBD scan tool necessary to read the error codes themselves and if so ... what brand or kind do you have/recommend?

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover
Karsty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:39 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Karsty, according to sailquick who is very informed on sprinters and posts here, it seems that only sprinter MB and Freightliner dealers have the diagnostic tool needed.
georgelesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:16 AM   #10
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley
Karsty, according to sailquick who is very informed on sprinters and posts here, it seems that only sprinter MB and Freightliner dealers have the diagnostic tool needed.
Thanks George ... that kind of sucks. I'm concerned about this when I do my Newfoundland trip and the Alaska trip. Somehow I don't imagine there will be many Mercedes or Freightliner dealers around.

I'll have to do some research and find out where the dealers are located in these remote areas ... just in case.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover
Karsty is offline   Reply With Quote