Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2015, 03:05 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Yes I did. Sounds like overspray someone tried to buff out. W doesn't do the painting either - they send it out, but it shouldn't have made it past quality control at the factory. I have a sneaking suspicion something happened to that van at the dealership that they tried to fix up and see if you'd notice.
What wincrasher says about the paint. Also, our '13 has no issues at all keeping up with cooling. It has the older style of the Coleman Mach AC unit. It's taller. Rather have your model.
We've made some changes to help the AC unit keep up. We double tinted all the side glass, and cut Reflextix to fit all the non opening windows, except the sliding door windows. We also keep the shades pulled down when hot at least to the top of the flip out awning windows. Also keep the cab shades pulled during the day when parked. Works great.

Sounds like you got a bad batch of components, AC & pump. That's not WGO's fault. Our screens were a bit loose when we picked up our unit, and they are very easily fixed by pulling them and bending the tabs slightly, then reinstalling the screens. We've had exactly one WGO assembly issue with ours. It was a loose piece of the wood trim on an overhead cabinet. I fixed it myself with a tack and wood glue. We have has some other issues, but they were caused by it being a moving house on wheels, and dumba** guy at a propane fill station.....
For the second RV in a row, we've had more Sprinter issues than coach issues

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 03:06 PM   #22
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
What wincrasher says about the paint. Also, our '13 has no issues at all keeping up with cooling. It has the older style of the Coleman Mach AC unit. It's taller. Rather have your model.
We've made some changes to help the AC unit keep up. We double tinted all the side glass, and cut Reflextix to fit all the non opening windows, except the sliding door windows. We also keep the shades pulled down when hot at least to the top of the flip out awning windows. Also keep the cab shades pulled during the day when parked. Works great.

Sounds like you got a bad batch of components, AC & pump. That's not WGO's fault. Our screens were a bit loose when we picked up our unit, and they are very easily fixed by pulling them and bending the tabs slightly, then reinstalling the screens. We've had exactly one WGO assembly issue with ours. It was a loose piece of the wood trim on an overhead cabinet. I fixed it myself with a tack and wood glue. We have has some other issues, but they were caused by it being a moving house on wheels, and dumba** guy at a propane fill station.....
For the second RV in a row, we've had more Sprinter issues than coach issues
Thanks for the info. Just aggravated this past weekend with AC going but we do really like our unit, it's a beautiful looking coach and fun and easy to drive and MUCH more reasonable than B's from other companies. Little issues that were annoying like stripped out valance that we had to reattach, etc. Wish I knew about the 70A side door screen for 2016, probably would have gotten the 70A, but the inside of the 70X feels very open and we like that. Keeping on subject, we're looking forward to viewing the 4x4 at the Hershey show as we're going to be going. We like to cross country ski and having a 4x4 would be nice, we wouldn't take it out in a lot of snow, but just having that option would have been great. Probably not good to take out on a beach tho, another thing we would have loved to do.
cjscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:20 PM   #23
jgn

My wife just looked at the 2016 A. Of course the salesman showed her a View so now the fun begins.
I like the 70A because we are travelers not campers and it will fit in almost anywhere and with HOA's is not restricted as a C would be. That and I can park it in my barn which has a 10' door.
Her concern is it is small and not sure the shower would work for me. Unfortunately I have not been in one yet so will see. How does the 70A work for a couple of overnights which is probably all we would do. I told her if she is interested in a C we will just go and get a 38'DP like the Fleetwood Expedition.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:21 PM   #24
Platinum Member

There are a lot of upfitters who depend on Chevy not changing the Express design.

I would guess one reason why Ford dropped the Econoline is due to the Draconian CAFE standards the EPA holds over automakers. GM can keep making the van, since they seem to have a smaller market, so the bigger MPG isn't as big a deal, especially with their smaller "city" van that is used for most urban tasks.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:28 PM   #25
Platinum Member

I don't know what you mean that GM has a smaller market. They are a much bigger automaker than Ford.

If I understand correctly, the CAFE standards are for segment (car, truck, etc) and for fleet. GM may have an easier time making their fleet target because their mix of cars is alot higher than Ford's. Ford does have a lot of V-6's and turbos, but it may not help their average mileage much. Ford may have alot more heavy trucks which may also drag on their numbers compared to GM.

Whatever the case, I don't consider the CAFE standards as draconian at all. I can only imagine the poor fuel economy we'd all suffer without them, or the resulting stagnation in automotive technology.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 02:24 AM   #26
Bronze Member

Wish the 4X4 Era would have a 4 season option. I've a 2014 Era 70A and like it a lot.
GBUSMCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 02:51 AM   #27
Platinum Member

I'm just happy the 4x4 Era is reasonably priced. It appears to be just the cost of the 4x4 option. I'd not be surprised to see other "B" makers sell that option... but after they got done with their 4x4 logos and diamond-plate appliques, it would be a $20,000 option.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:05 AM   #28
Platinum Member

I wonder how popular the option will be. If we bought new, we'd go 4x4. The bigger step from using the regular side step moldings Wincrasher observed might bother my wife a bit, but it's a small price to pay. I imagine replacing the molding is the type of thing they might do in a midyear update if people complain enough.

Does anyone know why a diesel genny isn't an option for the Era? If it was an issue of ground clearance, maybe they'll make than an option for the 4x4.
B Eventually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 12:30 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transit View Post
I wonder how popular the option will be. If we bought new, we'd go 4x4. The bigger step from using the regular side step moldings Wincrasher observed might bother my wife a bit, but it's a small price to pay. I imagine replacing the molding is the type of thing they might do in a midyear update if people complain enough.

Does anyone know why a diesel genny isn't an option for the Era? If it was an issue of ground clearance, maybe they'll make than an option for the 4x4.
That's a good question. Not sure the dimensions on the smallest deisel generator from Onan.

I suppose you could fit a Thule step or similar. Might need a custom bracked to clear the side fairing.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:47 PM   #30
Platinum Member

In my wife’s situation, the step is more an issue of convenience than reduced mobility so I suspect she’d tough it out.

I think the 3,200-watt diesel available on the Views is the smallest Onan diesel available. Someone with an Era will have to weigh in on whether it’d fit because it 8.2” longer, 1” wider, and 5.2” taller. That would lower the generator more than an inch further than the LP generator on the 2WD Sprinter which sorta defeats the purpose of 4x4 I suppose.

How easy is it to remove one of the second row seats in the 70X? We’d eventually want to reinstall it when the dog passes.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:54 AM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transit View Post
How easy is it to remove one of the second row seats in the 70X? We’d eventually want to reinstall it when the dog passes.
Looks like it's as simple as removing some bolts from the inside.
Attached Images
File Type: png bolts.png (770.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-23-2015, 03:24 AM   #32
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

The diesel genset won't fit the van chassis because of the steel floor. On the class C there is no steel floor so it can be mounted higher on the frame into the WGO made box....

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:46 PM   #33
Silver Member

Transit, the second row seat is meant to pop out easily, it pops out off of the base on the floor. I know the driver side does and I think also the passenger. Some were selling the Era 70X with the extra cabinet to put in it's place. We've been considering taking out one or both of the second row seats, but kind of like lounging near the door sometimes or putting our feet up on the seats in front, very very comfortable. My husband also wishes we had the diesel gen. Saw the 4x4 in person at Hershey, would probably have paid the extra 8K to get it but not sure how much you can do with it unless like others said it was set up with heated tanks, etc so you could go out in winter, we do like to cross country ski. Also wouldn't trust it on the beaches we usually go on which have very deep soft sand. They also should have had better tires on it such as mudders, etc. The RoadTrek had cool tires on their 4x4 Class B. I think the Era 4x4 had the same tires that are on ours without 4 wheel drive.
cjscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:15 AM   #34
Platinum Member

Thanks cjscott. The ease of removing and replacing the seat is a big plus for us. Maybe even a deal breaker for us because the only way our dog would fit in a B is if he monopolizes the entire passenger side seat area.

I wouldn’t expect a Sprinter to handle like a truck, especially after it’s been converted into a home on wheels. Most of our use would be over paved roads and occasionally relatively tame gravel roads, so we’d see the 4x4 as added insurance for foul weather.

The extra 4” of height also really interests me because we spend a good deal of our summer camping at a nearby lake. I’m almost 100% certain a long 2WD Sprinter B cannot make the driveway without bottoming out. The 4x4 probably could. Improving the driveway is an option, but it works fine for the rest of the family, so I’d be footing the whole bill. Much better to put that money into the 4x4 upgrade.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:53 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Winnebago updated their website with the starting MSRP $108,759 for 2016 ERAs. For now the optional 4WD is only available with the Brilliant Silver exterior.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:07 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjscott View Post
Transit, the second row seat is meant to pop out easily, it pops out off of the base on the floor. I know the driver side does and I think also the passenger. Some were selling the Era 70X with the extra cabinet to put in it's place.
I was set to purchase the ERA 70A but the removable seat option makes it possible to use the space for many purposes (dog carrier, desk, cabinet) and return the seating when touring with friends.

Are you still satisfied with your ERA purchase?

Thanks for sharing...
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:36 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Looks like they get the Truma system too. The C still gets the Alde.

This is a big development!
Old 09-25-2015, 05:59 PM   #38
Platinum Member

The 2.1 diesel 7sp auto is no longer listed as a credit option.

Unclear Items

Microwave oven (70A)
Microwave convection oven (70C, 70X)

Why would the 70a not get convection? space limitation?

2-burner range top w/glass cover (70A, 70X)
3-burner range w/glass top and stainless steel sink w/Corian cover (70C, 70X)

Think this is an error and the 70x will not get the 3-burber unit
Old 09-25-2015, 06:01 PM   #39
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Looks like they get the Truma system too. The C still gets the Alde.

This is a big development!
Have you considered an RV industry career? You seem to really review / understand the details.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:18 PM   #40
Platinum Member

LOL. Just a reader.