Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2020, 08:16 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Question Additional propane for Roadtrek Sprinter 2008

If one were to shut off the main outlet valve from the 16 gallon propane tank, there would be no pressure in the feed lines to the furnace, fridge, and generator. Question: With the correct connectors, could one attach a 5 gallon propane tank to the drop down BBQ hose, suppling the system with the 5 gallon tank? Seems like it would be useful as a reserve fuel supply. Comments? Thanks - David
david@davidfischer.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:32 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david@davidfischer.com View Post
If one were to shut off the main outlet valve from the 16 gallon propane tank, there would be no pressure in the feed lines to the furnace, fridge, and generator. Question: With the correct connectors, could one attach a 5 gallon propane tank to the drop down BBQ hose, suppling the system with the 5 gallon tank? Seems like it would be useful as a reserve fuel supply. Comments? Thanks - David
It's called a Camco Extend-a-Stay.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Connect.../dp/B0014JG7RQ

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:37 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Wow! Thanks. Just to be clear. It's very crowded next to the 16 gallon tank. I don't think there's room to attach a "T" fitting and rout the 5 gallon fuel at the "T". I'm thinking of shutting off the 16 gallon tank, then routing the fuel "backwards" from the outside BBQ connection. If that works, then I don't need the "T", right??
Thanks for helping.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:41 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Hi: If your fill is OPD. You can get an adapter and connect to a five gallon tank. I believe the higher pressure will fill your larger depleted tank. Here is a link to the adapter/connector. You will still need a hose.

https://propanewarehouse.com/shop/pr...ZdyiUNNONXxGZQ
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 11:59 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Wow! Thanks. Just to be clear. It's very crowded next to the 16 gallon tank. I don't think there's room to attach a "T" fitting and rout the 5 gallon fuel at the "T". I'm thinking of shutting off the 16 gallon tank, then routing the fuel "backwards" from the outside BBQ connection. If that works, then I don't need the "T", right??
Thanks for helping.
I’ve done it. Can’t go through the BBQ connection. Plenty of room for the T but you will have to get a shorter hose to the regulator. Mine is a 2003 C190P.

Extend a stay takes too much room. You have to make your own T.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 12:46 AM   #6
Bronze Member

Thanks. I'll take your advice. Just wondering, why can't I go through the BBQ connection?Again, thanks -David
Old 04-17-2020, 01:04 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks. I'll take your advice. Just wondering, why can't I go through the BBQ connection?Again, thanks -David
BBQ connection goes through a regulator. You need a direct line to the high pressure line.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 01:07 AM   #8
Platinum Member

I may be misreading the questions and answers to some degree, but there does seem to be an idea the when you hook up one bottle to another the full one puts it's contents into the empty one. This normally is not the case. All that will transfer is the gaseous part of the tank which would then vaporize some more gas out of the liquid in the more full tank. Gas is very little of the propane, as the majority of it is stored as liquid under pressure.

To get any real amount of transfer from tank to tank, you have move the liquid, which is not all that easy. Think of the noisy pumps at the propane fill station, those are special pumps for liquid products that easily vaporize. The only way I know of at home is to rig it so the more full tank is upside down on top of the lesser filled tank so gravity will move some of the liquid to the empty tank.

AFAIK, the add on systems need to stay connected while you use the contents as all they will transfer is the gas to the main system and to what you are running.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 01:15 AM   #9
Bronze Member

Thanks for taking the time to reply. My point is that if the large tank is closed off from the system, that is, disconnected by closing its outgoing valve, can one then connect another tank to the BBQ hose, thereby feeding the system (not the large tank) propane?
Thanks
-D
Old 04-17-2020, 01:26 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to reply. My point is that if the large tank is closed off from the system, that is, disconnected by closing its outgoing valve, can one then connect another tank to the BBQ hose, thereby feeding the system (not the large tank) propane?
Thanks
-D

You can not back feed the grille hose into the system. For connecting a add on tank the answer is yes if you connect directly to the system correctly.

The answer to can you connect a tank to the system directly is maybe, maybe not, depending on where the add on tank is connected. If it is connected after the original tank and before the regulator, yes you can do that and it should work fine. If you go after the regulator you are putting on high pressure to low pressure appliances and that is really a bad thing to do. You can also leave the original tank on as all you would lose is a little gas, but of is a tiny bit less loss.

Your Roadtrek may have two regulators, one will go to the coach and is a low pressure regulator for the appliances. The other is often claimed to be a high pressure regulator but is actually at 10 or 15 psi. Roadtrek always says they are 15 psi, but I have checked a couple and they were actually 10 psi. That is the grill QD connected regulator. You need to have your add on tank go before both of them.

Again, you can not back feed the grille hose into the system.
Old 04-17-2020, 02:23 AM   #11
Bronze Member

Thanks soooo much. This clears it up. It's a matter of before and after the regulator. I truly appreciate all the help from the community. I promise not to connect anything except a grill to the BBQ hose. Thanks again. -David
Old 04-18-2020, 07:27 PM   #12
Bronze Member

I had a propane dealer make up a hose with a fitting that connects to the BBQ accessory port.

The hose has a connector for a 20 pound tank with a regulator and BBQ port adapter at the end.

This will supply regulated low pressure to the MH low pressure propane system by back feeding.

It works great.

A few years ago power to the house went out and we ran the generator on the MH with 20 pound propane tanks while keeping the MH propane tank full.
paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 08:16 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Thanks,
Looks like this is one for a propane experienced tech. I'll find one and follow your generous advice. Thanks again,
-David
Old 04-18-2020, 08:28 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Paddy is talking about a barbecue connection that is low pressure, so the bbq feed hose would be just teed into the low pressure system and he wouldn't be backfeeding though a regulator as it would be right into the low pressure line in the van.

The Roadtrek is different with second regulator at the "sort of" high pressure which AFAIK would have to back feed through the regulator to it's inlet which would be the high pressure side of the low pressure regulator.

Different setups.

If you are going to get propane work done anyway, you might want to just have them remove the 10/15 psi regulator and put the bbq hose after the low pressure regulator to get the same setup that Paddy had. You might need to get a different regulator for the grille or adjust the one you have or get a new low pressure grille, but they are not all that expensive.

With that change you could hook up a tank to the hose.

Tags
2008, 5 gallon, adventurous, propane, roadtrek sprinter