Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2024, 06:13 PM   #1

Default Anyone tried making their own awning?

We recently bought a 2000 RoadTrek 190P which has no awning. I don't consider that a serious problem, but it might be nice to have and I'm not interested in drilling and mounting an awning in the 190P's fiberglass top. Having the shade available over the door seems like it would be a plus.

I'm thinking of trying a self-made awning which can be removable, attached along the roof of the RoadTrek using 3M Dual-Lock reclasable fasteners (https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/dual-loc...-fasteners-us/)

The Dual-Lock is serious stuff and I've used it to equipment on tables and walls without having any problem. Think of it as the Schwarzenegger version of Velcro; the top stuff takes more than 6 pounds per inch to separate.

For the outer edge of the fabric awning material, I'd work out a support rod and tie-down system. The whole idea would be non-destructive to the van and could be discarded if it failed.

Anyone tried something like this?
Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 09:10 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I would just buy a Moonshade and call it done. We love ours.
https://moonfab.com/
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 01:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
I would just buy a Moonshade and call it done. We love ours.
https://moonfab.com/
Wow, that looks like it might be a great option! I will check it out and learn more.
Old 04-12-2024, 05:20 PM   #4

Looking around, others might be interested in this somewhat similar awning from Hasika that's about 1/3 the cost.

https://www.amazon.com/Hasika-Waterp...st_sto_dp&th=1

Not sure which way I'm going to go yet, as the Moon awning has a very nice attachment system that should be compatible with the fiberglass top on my RT 190P. Also not sure we'd get comparable material in the awning.
Old 04-12-2024, 06:29 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I know this isn't the same thing at all, but at a very delicious price ($30 atm) it may be an option some would consider.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tra...alls/895570759

It should provide shade, plus some protection from weather and biting critters. Not being attached to the camper may be a pro or con... depending how/where you camp.

I got mine, but it's still in its box. So no reviews yet.
Again... different thing, but much cheaper and perhaps similar purpose.
Old 04-13-2024, 02:43 PM   #6
Platinum Member

The problem with awnings is that they only allow you to sit next to the van which usually isn't the best place in a campsite. They are also expensive. They also don't address the often most annoying part of sitting outside - bugs.

Here is the alternative that we like the best. We now use one of these instant pop up tents. We have the 10x10 model. It quickly folds up in a few seconds into a flat case that slides behind our rear couch and bed. We use this a lot more than we use our awning. Just a thought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 04:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
We recently bought a 2000 RoadTrek 190P which has no awning. I don't consider that a serious problem, but it might be nice to have and I'm not interested in drilling and mounting an awning in the 190P's fiberglass top. Having the shade available over the door seems like it would be a plus.

I'm thinking of trying a self-made awning which can be removable, attached along the roof of the RoadTrek using 3M Dual-Lock reclasable fasteners (https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/dual-loc...-fasteners-us/)

The Dual-Lock is serious stuff and I've used it to equipment on tables and walls without having any problem. Think of it as the Schwarzenegger version of Velcro; the top stuff takes more than 6 pounds per inch to separate.

For the outer edge of the fabric awning material, I'd work out a support rod and tie-down system. The whole idea would be non-destructive to the van and could be discarded if it failed.

I consider an awning to be an essential part of a RV. I deploy mine primarily to keep the sun from beating down on the side of the van. Even when it’s 80 degrees out at altitude the interior can get quite warm. So if there is no shade available, I park the van’s awning facing south and since the refrigerator is on the opposite side, it doesn’t receive any direct sunlight. It also helps the A/C run more efficiently.
Picasso_taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 05:25 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Default Anyone try to make their own awning

When I brought my Roadtrek it didn’t come with a awning.
I searched YouTube & found a few videos on making a awning for you van/car. I tried it & it was a fail. I then brought the moonshade. Easy to put up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1931.jpg (144.4 KB, 7 views)
ChristyCappello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 06:01 PM   #9

Default I’ve tried

A functioning, easily deployable awning is essential. Hell, I want awnings all the way around. Front, back and side to side. Messing around with all of the moving pieces isn’t worth it. I’ve made and used a variety of makeshift awnings. May I suggest looking for a used cassette awning? The last one I bought was a fiamma from Craigslist. Think I paid a $200 for 10x8.
bblakersfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 07:26 PM   #10
Site Team

Our first two vans both came with awnings. The number of times we used them could be counted on one hand. When we did try them out, it felt more like a stunt than anything practical. So, we chose not to have one on our current van.

But then, we are more tourers than campers, so...
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 07:44 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Default DIY awning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblakersfield View Post
A functioning, easily deployable awning is essential. Hell, I want awnings all the way around. Front, back and side to side. Messing around with all of the moving pieces isn’t worth it. I’ve made and used a variety of makeshift awnings. May I suggest looking for a used cassette awning? The last one I bought was a fiamma from Craigslist. Think I paid a $200 for 10x8.
I had asked a question on FB Roadtrek group & was told not to put a rv awning on because if not put on at the factory it would weaken the fiberglass or something like that. That’s why I went with moonshade.
ChristyCappello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 08:21 PM   #12

Default awning

I've owned my Road Trek SS Agile for 9 years and have used the awning maybe 4-5 times. It's one of the only feature of my RT that I can really do without.
skier1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 10:16 PM   #13
Platinum Member

We use our awning infrequently, but since it was the only 1 of 2 ‘must haves’ my wife wanted with our van; we have!

Enjoy the shade or rain protection when we use it. You know what they say, “happy wife = happy life” - so awning is worth every penny.

The other must have was a good bug screen on the slider.

Happy camping
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 11:26 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks@yvr View Post
We use our awning infrequently, but since it was the only 1 of 2 ‘must haves’ my wife wanted with our van; we have!

Enjoy the shade or rain protection when we use it. You know what they say, “happy wife = happy life” - so awning is worth every penny.

The other must have was a good bug screen on the slider.

Happy camping

We didn't use our awning much when we got the van in 2008, but last 4-5 years we find we use it a lot more. Nice for shade when the weather is hot, like it is more often now at the places we go to. Rarely use it in the rain as it aways seems to be very windy also then. We certainly would get another as when you need it, you have it ready to go in a couple minutes.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 12:36 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Where we usually go it is usually too windy to use the free-flying Carefree awning. I think if it had supports it would be a bit better, but as is, basically being a huge sail, it retracts at the lightest breeze.

The few times we used it are split by "most likely helping" to shade the sunny side of the camper, and chasing around the shade which seems to be moving around too quickly.
Old 04-26-2024, 01:36 AM   #16
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post

we got a kelty shelter tent from rei Affordable easy Offers privacy Can step out under shelter if raining Can be used as a tent Easy t o set up Unless it is windy!!
jeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:04 PM   #17

Default Moonshade

I have questions to those of you who are using a moonshade. How is it on windy days and how is it attached to the camper. I have never in my life had any luck with suction cups. Is there anything adhesive that would work well, I would rather glue than drill.
Tissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM   #18
Silver Member

that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tissy View Post
I have questions to those of you who are using a moonshade. How is it on windy days and how is it attached to the camper. I have never in my life had any luck with suction cups. Is there anything adhesive that would work well, I would rather glue than drill.

The kelty tent shelter from rei
is set up on the ground and leans against the van ,the bottom is staked in the ground, and the top has long straps you toss over and tie to someplace on the van or maybe somethin' else close . If it is windy when you set it up it takes a sense of humor but once up is fine We really like it becasue it gives privacy not just an awning ot sit under Moonshade I think needs a roof rack to attach it to and we do not have that as there is the AC and a vent etc on top
jeana is offline   Reply With Quote