RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-21-2020, 03:32 PM   #1
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Colorado
Posts: 30
Default Battery will not turn off, 1998 Roadtrek 170

Hi all, I'm having an issue where my battery will not turn back off (the cabin battery that is turned on from the panel switch). It had run down so I connected to shore power overnight, disconnected in the morning and all was working fine off of battery power.

I then clicked the switch to off but the on light and battery remained on. I flipped all the breakers in the back (from the panel under the lounge) off but the battery remains on and has drained again so I'm scratching my head here.

Any advice would help, please and thank you
__________________

Kinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:47 PM   #2
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona, Tempe
Posts: 918
Default

Assuming you have the Intellitec battery disconnect switch here is the documentation for it.

https://www.intellitec.com/wp-conten...-00066-100.pdf

With that and a volt-ohmeter you should be able to figure it out.
__________________

hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 05:04 PM   #3
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Colorado
Posts: 30
Default

I overlooked the electricval forum, apologies mods.

HBN, thanks, I'll try working on it today
Kinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:49 AM   #4
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Colorado
Posts: 30
Default

Have read up on the switch and how to troubleshoot but where is the disconnect switch located on the 170 if anyone knows...
Kinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 03:01 AM   #5
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona, Tempe
Posts: 918
Default

Usually behind the power panel.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 03:06 AM   #6
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Colorado
Posts: 30
Default

Got it, will check next
Kinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 05:31 PM   #7
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Missouri
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinch View Post
Hi all, I'm having an issue where my battery will not turn back off (the cabin battery that is turned on from the panel switch). It had run down so I connected to shore power overnight, disconnected in the morning and all was working fine off of battery power.

I then clicked the switch to off but the on light and battery remained on. I flipped all the breakers in the back (from the panel under the lounge) off but the battery remains on and has drained again so I'm scratching my head here.

Any advice would help, please and thank you
Got the same issue on a 2013 210. I have to start the van and then turn it off again to get the light off. Also, make sure the inverter and all panel switches are all off.
Diver007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 05:48 PM   #8
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Florida
Posts: 20
Default

The disconnect relay will not change from on to off if there is power coming in from Shore/Gen.
Kill all incoming power and then try to switch it.
The relay is a magnetic toggle and is magnetically "frozen" in place when Shore power is applied.
This is why the warning says to select "ON" before plugging in shore.
The relay "latches" by a magnetized metal rod pendulum swinging in or out to latch it on or off.
Shore power "swamps" the magnetic field and prevents changing states of the relay thereafter until shore is removed.
With Shore removed and batteries charged (takes 12Vdc to switch) the relay should switch.
If not, there is a failure to find.
__________________
2003 Chevy Roadtrek 190 Versatile
74000 mi
RoadToad@live.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:09 PM   #9
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Florida
Posts: 4
Default

Why would you want to turn the batteries off while plugged into shore power. The shore power charges your batteries while you are plugged in. If you want to store your RV and turn the batteries off, you can do so if you are not plugged into shore power.
Dougm38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:28 PM   #10
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Missouri
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadToad@live.com View Post
The disconnect relay will not change from on to off if there is power coming in from Shore/Gen.
Kill all incoming power and then try to switch it.
The relay is a magnetic toggle and is magnetically "frozen" in place when Shore power is applied.
This is why the warning says to select "ON" before plugging in shore.
The relay "latches" by a magnetized metal rod pendulum swinging in or out to latch it on or off.
Shore power "swamps" the magnetic field and prevents changing states of the relay thereafter until shore is removed.
With Shore removed and batteries charged (takes 12Vdc to switch) the relay should switch.
If not, there is a failure to find.
My 210 would do this without shore power, RT couldn't explain but it works.
Diver007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:58 PM   #11
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Florida
Posts: 20
Default

"..My 210 would do this without shore power, RT couldn't explain but it works..."
?? Do you mean it would freeze up even when there was no Shore plugged in?
Or that it would switch even if shore plugged in?
__________________
2003 Chevy Roadtrek 190 Versatile
74000 mi
RoadToad@live.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:17 PM   #12
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Florida
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver007 View Post
My 210 would do this without shore power, RT couldn't explain but it works.
It is supposed to ONLY do it with no shore power incoming.
That is the point of my post.
__________________
2003 Chevy Roadtrek 190 Versatile
74000 mi
RoadToad@live.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:17 PM   #13
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Missouri
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadToad@live.com View Post
"..My 210 would do this without shore power, RT couldn't explain but it works..."
?? Do you mean it would freeze up even when there was no Shore plugged in?
Or that it would switch even if shore plugged in?
Not sure if you're asking about the 2013 210, but with shore power unplugged and the battery disconnect set to off, the blue light remains on. RT told me to start the van and it should go off, if not turning it off again works.
Diver007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:20 PM   #14
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Missouri
Posts: 12
Default

I should add that my 2013 210 has dead house batteries which may be the root cause for the anomoly.
Diver007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:08 PM   #15
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Florida
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver007 View Post
I should add that my 2013 210 has dead house batteries which may be the root cause for the anomoly.
I believe that is correct.
When you start the Van, you will get Voltage from the engine alternator that will, then, let the switch have the power necessary to effect the switching.
__________________
2003 Chevy Roadtrek 190 Versatile
74000 mi
RoadToad@live.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:47 PM   #16
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: California
Posts: 104
Default

I don't think the circuitry in the 90's Roadtrek was all that smart. I have a 1997 170P, and it's pretty basic. The latching relay just disconnects the battery, regardless what else is charging it (solar controller, shore power converter, or diode isolator). So if any of these are on, you will have live load circuits but no battery. And that can be a problem, since some chargers reach much higher voltages with no battery connected.
Nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:11 AM   #17
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: BC
Posts: 2
Default Donít know why but it works ...

Donít know why but it works on my Ď96 Popular 210. If battery red light wonít shut off simply restart engine and then shut down. The aux. bat should now shut off when turned off. Hope this helps.
Burtwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:54 AM   #18
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Florida
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic7320 View Post
I don't think the circuitry in the 90's Roadtrek was all that smart. I have a 1997 170P, and it's pretty basic. The latching relay just disconnects the battery, regardless what else is charging it (solar controller, shore power converter, or diode isolator). So if any of these are on, you will have live load circuits but no battery. And that can be a problem, since some chargers reach much higher voltages with no battery connected.
Actually the smartness was coincidental to the charicteristics of the relay and coil.
Pretty sure some of these side effects were not because of any design intent.
It just came as a part of the magneto-physics of the relay lol.
Kinda like getting something for nothing.
Not being familiar with each and every relay employed in RT Vans;
am not sure what the earlier designs used.
This is the relay I am amplifying upon.


__________________

__________________
2003 Chevy Roadtrek 190 Versatile
74000 mi
RoadToad@live.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×