Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2009, 07:45 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Borders are going to become harder to cross soon

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about upcoming documentation requirements
for traveling to or from the US and Canada? Gone are the driver's license and birth certificate
2 question crossings from here into the US for us. As it stood last time I looked, everyone will
need at least a passport for land crossings sometime mid-year 2009. I know our governments at
federal and state/provincial levels were trying to come up with some less expensive
alternatives, like photo id cards with additional information added to establish
citizenship. Just wondering if anyone's heard any more about it all? Or any new ideas that
may be out there. I believe it's far easier (correct me if I'm wrong) for Americans to
obtain a passport at a local USPS office.
For us northerners, we have to go to a passport office to get one and it's expensive and a
colossal pain in the behind for most. I think there are only a few dozen of these offices in the
whole of Canada, so it really is a pain. There's a "mail in" option, but I don't know that it's any better.
I'd love to do the enhanced driver's license or photo id card if it were available.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:47 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Borders are going to become harder to cross soon

For Canadians a passport will be needed June 1, 2009.

Here's a good link:

http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/whti-ivho/doc-eng.html

It looks like the Enhanced Driver's Licence/Enhanced Identification Card will be an option if you don't have a passport.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:53 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Here's a good link for info for Americans and Canadians:

http://www.getyouhome.gov/
Old 01-30-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
Platinum Member

So, based on what I see on the chart, the EDL is accepted for Canadian citizens.
I've sent an email to CBSA for confirmation, as their chart may be open to interpretation
based on no "before/after" dates in any columns. There are some confusing footnotes too.

Or maybe I'm just skeptical about government websites. Yes, that's it.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:39 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Further to this topic, I've contacted the MTO by email and they say they don't even have a roll out date yet.
I expressed my concern that there doesn't seem to be any urgency at the government's end
to get this tool out, to ease cross border traffic in a recession. I mentioned the potential lost revenue to the
province, if it doesn't get out soon, and everyone just goes with the passport instead.
They said they'd try to find out more and get back to me. That was last week. Still waiting.
I've emailed my MPP and they think they're only available if your current license is due to renew,
or if you have a major personal information change - then you can upgrade to a new EDL (which the Ministry
isn't in a hurry to get out, apparently). They also said it might involve an interview to get one, similar to
a FAST or NEXUS card, so that's got to slow everything down. Makes getting a passport look easy now, by comparison?

When I go to renew my stickers tomorrow, I'll ask the staff at the license office if they know anything more.
I'm less than hopeful.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:29 AM   #6
Silver Member

I don't understand why you don't just get a passport to make it simple. I noticed you have been in the UK. Did you not need a passport for entry into that country. It only takes a couple of weeks to get one. I travel with a passport all the time and don't have any problems.
If the US wants you to have a passport why should we argue with that decision. What is the price for a passport now. $60.00 for 5 years.
dutchduo1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:14 PM   #7
Silver Member

My wife and I are in the process of getting our passports as we speak, and we were told it is $97.00 each for the passports, and what ever it costs for the pictures. We went to a local drug store here in Ohio for the pictures and they were $8.00 per person for two pictures each.
FMCA #376666
Barman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:58 PM   #8
Silver Member

Barman; Will your passport be good for 5 or 10 years.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:04 PM   #9
Silver Member

As far as I know it is for 5-years, but I'm really not sure. We will be turning in the applications tomorrow with the pictures and $97.00 each, and I'll ask that question and post it when I find out.
FMCA #376666
Old 02-10-2009, 05:17 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchduo1990
I don't understand why you don't just get a passport to make it simple. I noticed you have been in the UK. Did you not need a passport for entry into that country. It only takes a couple of weeks to get one. I travel with a passport all the time and don't have any problems.
If the US wants you to have a passport why should we argue with that decision. What is the price for a passport now. $60.00 for 5 years.
I just looked at this website and it appears it's a bit more than $60. It's either $87 or $92 depending on
how many pages you want, which I assume allows more stamps at international points of entry and egress.
http://www.ppt.gc.ca/cdn/section6.aspx?lang=eng
I have no intention of flying anywhere. I did fly to the UK in 1996, and did have a passport at the time.
However, it expired, and for several years it wasn't an issue as I was working, and actually didn't travel
much where I'd need one. Then 9/11 happened, and passports became a necessity again.

Based on what I can find out today from the MTO and CBSA,
to enter and exit the US from Canada by land or sea, after June 2009 will require
proof of citizenship. The acceptable documents according to the WHTI, will be a
Nexus or other similar express pass document, a passport, or the new Enhanced
Drivers License. According to the MTO website link below, the cost of an EDL
will be the basic $75 for the Driver's License part, and an additional $40 for the new
addition of your citizenship info.
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/ ... ards.shtml

So, if I could acquire an EDL prior to June of this year, I'll save myself $47 for sufficient
documentation to allow me to continue to travel between here and the US.
However, as an update, I just checked at my local MTO office and they don't have any idea when they'll
be available either. I'm still waiting for a couple of people at 2 agencies to get back to me, so I'll see what
they can tell me regarding EDLs.
Ruling out the EDL as an option, or anything else acceptable besides a passport, I'll probably get a passport
prior to the June implementation of the new rules.
I'm just trying to save a bit of money, if I can. That's all.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:54 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to julievojo

Passports aren't that easy to get here! You have to go to a passport office, not just any post office, although some of the PO's have passport offices in the same building. You need to submit several forms of documentation, then wait a couple of months. Chino's is actually even a little bit harder to get since he wasn't born in the US. He needs extra paperwork, so we take care to make sure we renew his each time before it expires.

We always travel with ours now, just in case. Since work makes it difficult for us to plan ahead much in our travels, we decided it was best to always keep them on hand just in case we get short notice of an opportunity to travel out of the country.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:31 AM   #12
Platinum Member

I was under the mistaken impression that most USPS offices could issue them.
Apparently they distribute the application forms but not the passports. Sorry!
BTW, it's just as difficult here, from what I've been told by many friends who've chosen to get them.
I'm going to see what transpires as far as further info in the next week or so, and then probably try
to get a passport in April or May. I just hate to have to deal with 2 government branches, at 2 government levels
to get something I could walk down the street to get (maybe), and that sends me a renewal reminder every 5 years.
Yes, I'm lazy sometimes, and should have renewed my first passport, but in the pre-9/11 world it wasn't an
issue.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:37 PM   #13
Platinum Member

United States passports are good for 10 years. I applied for mine at our county government center, the same place where you apply for driver's license and renewals. There was a collateral benefit. Applying for Social Security benefits can be just as tedious with proof of birth, etc. Since I had a passport, I applied online from home and was notified by letter that I need not bother to send in paperwork like birth certificate because they already had that info from my passport. Hard to believe our government can be that courteous and efficient. I discovered too when I originally applied for my passport I got it a lot quicker than the norm. I suspect the government had a pretty good dossier on my already from my service record.

Four years ago I crossed the border into Toronto from Michigan without showing any proof whatsoever. They just asked our names and a couple of questions. I drove around Lake Superior and re-entered the United States in Minnesota. On approaching the gate the guard said over the loud speaker, "Welcome back, David." Big Brother had my number.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:24 PM   #14
Platinum Member

By way of further update to the Ontario EDL situation (if any still cares ),
I was in phone contact with a representative from the MTO yesterday, and he
said there would be something rolled out in the next month or so.
He suggested it will be available at 9 selected licensing locations around the
province. He said it will cost an additional C$40 to have the citizenship info
added to the standard DL and that after you apply and pay, and prove your citizenship
at one of the licensing locations (there's no Nexus style interview), it'll take 4 weeks for
you to then get the card. Good for land and sea crossings, according to the WHTI.

So, that said, I guess I'll wait another month before jumping on the passport train.

btw, dutchduo1990 : I just reread my reply to your question about getting a passport.
Please accept my apologies, as I sounded a bit upset , no offense intended.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:10 PM   #15
Platinum Member

I'd get an EDL for RV travel across the border but I wonder what would happen if an emergency (medical or other) required that you needed to fly back to Canada. Would you be stuck?
Old 02-19-2009, 06:16 PM   #16
Platinum Member

I'm not sure, although we/I did consider the possibility.
If the emergency were with either of us (health crisis of some sort?), while in the States, I'd like to think they'd
make an exception on compassionate grounds. If not, one of us cold make it back to a border point in 2 days or less
by RV.
If it were an emergency back home, we'd probably be on our own, and I'd expect that.

But, I'm not sure.
If it ever happens, I'll post up my findings.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:11 PM   #17
Silver Member

We applied for our passports less than two weeks ago, and to our surprise they showed up in our mail box yesterday. It was 11 days from the time we turned in the paperwork at the court house here in Ohio. So it cost us $200.00 for two passports, and they are good for ten years. This is just an FYI for folks out there thinking about the process. It sounds like our neighbors in Canada may have more hassles because it's harder to find places to do it. Good luck
Steve & Chris
2006 190 Versatile
Ashland, Ohio
FMCA #376666
Old 02-27-2009, 01:46 AM   #18
Silver Member

My daughter went to the USA by plane on December 29TH 2008 and her mother did not have a passport on December 1st. They picked up the proper forms at the local post office, filled them in and sent the proper paper work by mail and received her passport in seven days. People just make too much fuss about it.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:49 AM   #19
Platinum Member

I'm hoping the up side will be the price, and that not too many people will notice we can only get the EDL
at a few licensing locations. I'd like to think we can control and monitor the border without making safe,
cross border travel, so difficult that it kills our desire to bother.
I check our MTO (Ministry of Transport) website every couple of days waiting for the EDL announcement.

I blame bin Laden.

p.s. It's not about the fuss. It's the principle and the price.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:15 PM   #20
Platinum Member

HAPPY DAYS, the Ontario government announced yesterday the new EDL is now available, if you are a
Canadian citizen, a resident of Ontario, and currently hold a valid Ontario Drivers License (except a standalone
M1 motorcycle license).
It's $40 to upgrade your current DL to an EDL , you have 3 forms that need to be filled out, and need an appointment
at one of 9 MTO locations. You can call Service Ontario to make the appointment, or do it online.
The card has an RFID chip and a machine readable area on the back, like a bar code. There isn't any personal
info embedded in the chip or swipe area, just a code number which can be used by CBP to request your info
from a CBSA database.
Much more info is available at the MTO website.
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/

I called and made an appointment today.
The Service Ontario guy took my info, gave me a day and time, but failed to give me
my confirmation number, so I have to call back tomorrow.

Still a few bugs in the process I guess.