Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Canadian National Parks are the Envy of the World?

I thought I would throw this out for discussion...

Our national parks are the envy of the world (Canada)

Quote:
“Canada! We have more square feet of awesomeness per person than any other nation on Earth,” the beer commercial shouted over and over during last year's Vancouver Olympics, to a steady backdrop of national park scenes. And we all raised our glasses, for Canadians love their national parks. A 2010 Environics survey placed national parks alongside health care, the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and our flag as the top four symbols of Canadian identity. Parks came in ahead of hockey, the RCMP and even the anthem. But, as much as we love our wilderness, it's possible we don't grasp – from a global perspective – just how great it is. “Parks Canada oversees one of the most extensive, best managed, and highly respected park systems in the world,” explains Harvey Locke, former president of the Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society and co-founder of the Yellowstone to Yukon conservation project. “It should be a fantastic source of pride for all Canadians.”
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:45 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Canadian National Parks are the Envy of the World?

Kind of an odd way to attempt to convey that our National Parks are great. They are but so are many parks in other countries.

Grand Canyon, Crater Lake ................. Hey, maybe all National Parks everywhere are the Envy of the World?

That type of pseudo "reporting" in the Globe and Mail is probably intended to be provocative. I do read it online daily though.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:41 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I've camped in Pukaskwa National Park in Ontario.

Jasper and Banff are on my must do list.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:05 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
I thought I would throw this out for discussion...

Our national parks are the envy of the world (Canada)

Quote:
“Canada! We have more square feet of awesomeness per person than any other nation on Earth,” the beer commercial shouted over and over during last year's Vancouver Olympics, to a steady backdrop of national park scenes. And we all raised our glasses, for Canadians love their national parks. A 2010 Environics survey placed national parks alongside health care, the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and our flag as the top four symbols of Canadian identity. Parks came in ahead of hockey, the RCMP and even the anthem. But, as much as we love our wilderness, it's possible we don't grasp – from a global perspective – just how great it is. “Parks Canada oversees one of the most extensive, best managed, and highly respected park systems in the world,” explains Harvey Locke, former president of the Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society and co-founder of the Yellowstone to Yukon conservation project. “It should be a fantastic source of pride for all Canadians.”
Our National Parks? Where are they again?
I never give them a thought in my neck of the woods as there aren't any that I know of, nearby.
I would also expect them to be more expensive to visit and stay on average, than a comparable
US NPS address.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:26 PM   #5
Silver Member

Been in them several times but they do not impress me like the US National parks. Most of it is owned by foreign interest. Banff, Jasper Etc.
dutchduo1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:08 AM   #6
Platinum Member

I pay $135 per year (I think) for a National Park pass, good for all parks in Canada. I use it mostly for Jasper and Elk Island. Elk Island is only 45 minute drive, great for the grandkids, and a lovely place to park the Class 'B'.
Oh, and I didn't realize foreign interests owned Banff and Jasper? Tsk tsk, are you sure?
2011 Malibu LT - wonderful winter wheels
Johnny R is offline   Reply With Quote