Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Hello old acquaintances..

Haven't been here since selling my 05/06 Roadtrek (maybe once or twice) so thought I'd check in to see who's posting what.

I've added to my "stable" by getting what's in the attached pic - flew to Las Vegas then drove it home in June - a '93 BMW 850 CI - a 5L V12 300hp engine that moves this hardtop along at 80mph and gets 22mpg while doing so (a little better than the R/T but it doesn't sleep as many people..). I had another previously, a '91 but gave it to my Son (he sold it and bought a pick'emup truck). This body style was designed 20 years ago and I think it's one of the most beautiful cars ever made. This one is a black on black beauty and had 28242 miles on the odometer when I picked it up in Vegas - hated to see it turn 29000 on the drive home and it's since turned 30000 miles

Whiskyecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:29 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Hello old acquaintances..

Simply beautiful! Looks like Italian coachwork. Farina?

I have a friend here in the Ozaraks who has a Bavaria that dates back to the early 70s. Made for a German and shipped home by a military family. He wouldn't turn loose of it for love, money or even a Class B!

https://www.classbforum.com/images/1994%20GMC.jpg
VernM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:32 PM   #3
Platinum Member

actually it's an all German venture - it was a German designer at BMW by the name of Klaus Kapitza who made this a reality

forgot to mention that this car is electrically limited to not exceed 155 mph - will do about 185 without the limiter - a number of different "chips" will bypass the limiter (tho the fastest I've been in one is 125 - for a very short run in the Death Valley area - the car would handle more speed, of course, but I hate trusting tires
Old 08-16-2009, 04:47 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Hi again,
That's a nice looking ride you've got there. It looks like it's got fairly low profile tires on it already,
but I wonder if you could go even lower, and add some run-flat rubber, if you really wanted to push the
envelope in the speed department, without worrying about tires?
Nice to hear from you, and apparently things are going well.

Take care,
Mike.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:44 PM   #5
Platinum Member

actually I don't trust any tire - I'm not into speed - highway limits are enough for me (that 125 mph was about 5pm at the top of a valley and I could see for a 100 miles that there was no other traffic - and was a 1 time thing)

yes, those are lo profile tires - come replacement time I'll consider going wider and maybe jumping from 17" to 18 or 19, with an offset in the rear

the car has so much electrics that it requires 2 batteries - recommended 850cca+ each - 2 way sunroof, 2 zone temp controller in the cockpit, heated seats, heated outside mirrors (when going into reverse the right outside mirror tilts down, so as to make parallel parking easier), power seats in front with 3 memories for the driver's side - which includes steering wheel and all 3 rear view mirrors

an on-board computer that displays such things as outside temp, 2 fuel consumption channels, a computer to give time to destination, range on remaining fuel and a host of other informational goodies

and remember, these cars were designed 20 years ago this year