Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2014, 06:25 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default HVAC thoughts

On our rig we have 3 heating outlets on the same side of the van. The first outlet being almost at the furnace, the second one at your feet when the bed is made back into a couch and the third one in the open before the head. All three outlets span a length of less than 3 feet. Because we go from couch to bed every night we would like to change the outlet set-up. When the bed is "made", we don't need the outlet under the bed and see no need for the couch outlet. What I would like to do is redirect all the heat to the outlet at the head by closing off the previous 2 outlets. Should I be concerned about not enough airflow away from the furnace if I block or discontinue the outlets? Since the outlets connect to each other with a wye, I could just cap off the outlet and have the heat flow to the second capped off outlet and then out the last one. I don't think this will hurt anything regarding airflow but wanted to check anyway before I start. What are your thoughts.
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:17 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: HVAC thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK49er
On our rig we have 3 heating outlets on the same side of the van. The first outlet being almost at the furnace, the second one at your feet when the bed is made back into a couch and the third one in the open before the head. All three outlets span a length of less than 3 feet. Because we go from couch to bed every night we would like to change the outlet set-up. When the bed is "made", we don't need the outlet under the bed and see no need for the couch outlet. What I would like to do is redirect all the heat to the outlet at the head by closing off the previous 2 outlets. Should I be concerned about not enough airflow away from the furnace if I block or discontinue the outlets? Since the outlets connect to each other with a wye, I could just cap off the outlet and have the heat flow to the second capped off outlet and then out the last one. I don't think this will hurt anything regarding airflow but wanted to check anyway before I start. What are your thoughts.
It probably won't be an issue, but you should check it. All furnaces have a maximum heat rise specification, which is basically how much it heats the air in degrees. It is the indirect measure of airflow. It may be in your manual, but I had to call the manufacturer to get ours. Just check the heat rise the way it is, and then tape off the ones you don't want and check again. Hopefully both will be within the spec.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:43 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Thanks Booster. No manual to be found, so maybe a call is in order. Is our set up similar to your RT? Did you redirect your air flow also?
Old 06-18-2014, 01:02 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK49er
Thanks Booster. No manual to be found, so maybe a call is in order. Is our set up similar to your RT? Did you redirect your air flow also?
Ours is different than yours. We have the version of the furnace that uses single grate in the front to take in and blow out the cabin air. They also make a ducted version (Suburban), which would be like yours is set up. I got the information on ours when I was messing around trying to quiet it down.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:46 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Here's a link to the Suburban site showing how to measure the Temperature Rise.

http://www.rvcomfort.com/suburban/about/news4.php

William
2000 Roatrek 200 Popular
www.yourtravelvideo.com
WJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:33 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Thanks William.