Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2024, 12:39 PM   #1

Default Likes and Dislikes; Why did you choose your B?

Seems that stepping into the B market or RV market for the first time can be confusing to some. Feel free to post here and answer at least these 3 questions. This may help some Newbies make decisions. Please add?
1) Why did you purchase your specific class B? ie: What needs did it satisfy?
2) What do you like most about your B?
3) What do you like the least about your B?
GO!
jojobafanzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 01:19 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobafanzi View Post
Seems that stepping into the B market or RV market for the first time can be confusing to some. Feel free to post here and answer at least these 3 questions. This may help some Newbies make decisions. Please add?
GO!

07 Roadtrek 190P

1) Floorplan with lots of storage space

2) Domestic chassis Chevy Express 3500

3) Not much we don't like. For me it is low entry door height (5' 7" and hit occasionally, DW at 4' 11" doesn't)
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 01:24 PM   #3
Platinum Member

We bought a 2020 Coachmen Galleria 24A, 2wd in Feb. 2020. After reading the negatives below, you may wonder if we'd buy it again. Yes we would.

1. We were caught up in a supply & demand period when there were zero new Winnebago ERAs and zero Coachmen Gallerias to see in person; at dealerships or at the largest RV show in early fall of 2019. Based on features, internet photos and brochures, and at that time a great sale price from our dealer, we purchased the Galleria.

2. Comfort, I sleep well and also enjoy driving the coach. Coachmen installs a lot of creature comforts in a small (24') package.

The Truma Combi furnace/water propane heater is a fantastic fuel sipping device.

Fuel economy is typically 20 mpg on an interstate highway while traveling at 65 mph, without cross or head winds or very steep grade.

The overall build quality is good but not great. I've found some shortcomings behind the cabinets.

The width of the Galleria provides the ability to negotiate virtually all streets and roads. Parking is also good. These last 2 comments are as compared to a class C.

The Galleria is rated to tow 5,000 pounds and comes equipped with a factory-installed towing receiver and is pre-wired for an electric trailer brake controller. I have an enclosed aluminum trailer and have towed it with a sports car inside several times. Highway mpg drops to 14 which I'm quite satisfied with.

3. Initially the overall handling of this Sprinter-based coach was intimidating. Side wind buffeting from being passed by a large SUV or tractor trailer was very annoying. Exiting the interstate and entering an off ramp at the posted ramp speed felt like the beginning of a roll-over because of body tilt. I eventually installed new front struts with coil-spring assist, and new rear shocks and leaf spring packs. The result is a near perfect handling coach.

At times the interior width is mildly uncomfortable as my wife and I can't pass by each other, one of us must move toward the front or rear while the other passes by.

These all steel-bodied vans are very susceptible to thermal transfer. Our coach came with a 12 volt powered air conditioner that couldn't provide adequate cold air. I converted to a 120 volt air conditioner.

The Sprinter windshield is very large and allows a lot of solar heat to enter. I had a ceramic-based window tint applied that reduced quite a lot of heat invasion.

The nearest Mercedes-Benz dealership that will service a Sprinter is nearly 30 miles from our home. Service must typically be scheduled weeks in advance, and often I'm asked to drop off my vehicle and come back another day to pick it up, for something as simple as a software upgrade.
Old 01-10-2024, 08:17 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
GO!
Honestly, I don't think there is a substitute for investing some time to do your own research. It's like you are asking "What kind of house should I buy?"

Forums like this, blogs, youtube reviews, renting RVs, and dealer visits will go a long way in making sure that the money you are about to hand over will cause buyers remorse or not.

That said....

My need for independent and luxurious domestic and international travel.

The refrigerator. It is awesome. I mean, cool.

The size. I wish it was as big as a Corolla (and still fit everything and everyone. Now that would be something).
Old 01-12-2024, 01:29 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Our is a Chevy 2008 with a RT 2008 170 Popular. So tankage is always mentioned, as is storage. Those are probably the two givens with this size.
Definately for a couple - not a family with dogs!

Chevy Chassis, gasoline power, LS V-8. Has the power and capacity to tow my racecar and trailer--and, it "fits" in the driveway!
Good looking - doesn't look like its wearing a baseball cap like a Class C.

Size, drives, and rides well. Maneuverable.

Sleeping area could use the Winnebago Revell kick-outs for additional room for bunks. I'm 6-3 and do a slight "curl" but do-able. A bit more head and foot room would be appreciated. If we ever lose one of the windows - I know my next mod!

Cheers - Jim

BTW - good questions
phantomjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 04:41 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Te big thing I did not like about buying a new Honda was I was unable to rent and drive one before buying.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 07:15 PM   #7

Quote:
I needed a generator to keep my dog cool while I was in town down South and not hooked up. I also needed a full shower, a bed I could keep deployed as a bed without having to fold it away and have it not block access to something. I needed a van that was not too tall and not too wide. Has to have no slide outs.
2) What do you like most about your B? Multi speed fan with rain sensor. Sink cover is attached so no need to store it someplace when using the sink.
3) What do you like the least about your B? It took a long time to fix the squeaks and rattles. The interior latches needed expensive upgrades (About $100.00 each). The macerator is annoying. I would much rather have a gravity dump waste system for multiple reasons. Joe
Old 01-13-2024, 03:49 PM   #8
Platinum Member

It would be interesting to know how many people that buy Class B's end up having buyer remorse. I bet it is a fairly high number. It is a unique lifestyle with many pros and cons and with many expensive lessons. I would also bet that most of the people with buyer's remorse never bothered to rent one for a few days first.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 07:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
It would be interesting to know how many people that buy Class B's end up having buyer remorse. I bet it is a fairly high number. It is a unique lifestyle with many pros and cons and with many expensive lessons. I would also bet that most of the people with buyer's remorse never bothered to rent one for a few days first.
I agree. I bought my first class B used and didn't know much about it. After using it for 13 years, Rust became an issue and I had a very good idea of what my needs were. It took a long time to find the right van but I found it and I love it.
Old 01-13-2024, 08:51 PM   #10
Platinum Member

1) Why did you purchase your specific class B? ie: What needs did it satisfy? Chev chassis, Pleasure Way build, fore/aft ( larger) bed 2) What do you like most about your B? quality, ease of maint. 3) What do you like the least about your B? The chev paint white color coat ( pre about 2007) separates from the primer, allows water in and separates more- spent thousands on repainting portions of the van
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 10:20 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Cool

Quote:
GO!
We have both been long time campers most of our lives. My wife came from a family of hard nose ranchers and famers where night watches and family camping were in her blood at a very young age.

Me I grow up in the city and my family had a POPup camper, then for me scouting, Young Marines, Military it all became a thing. My first FORD VAN back in 1975, I converted into a camper as we lived in TEXAS and did some beach camping. As a boater island camping as that was for me the best way to see the stars
1) Why did you purchase your specific class B?
Well first it was a few classes As and tow vehicles. Then came a search for something smaller as we were not getting to see what we wanted to see in the big 40-motorhomes. Turned down at RV Parks as we were to big with a town even longer. Many RV Parks cut you off at 36-foot. Lots of Wal Mart parking, and Pilot Flying "J". We wanted something they would keep down the looks and slip in and out without looking like a visitor. It took us a while of looking as Class C, then Class B and something that we could park in a normal parking space. A 24-foot VAN works like a charm. everything you have in the larger RV's you have in the van, BUT no WASHER and DRYERS. We do enjoy following College sports teams around the country and sightseeing in the area.

What needs did it satisfy? comfort easy in and outs of everything. Less visibility, never have we been turned down from parking anywhere and always legal. then came 2020 and COVID, Class B, eating out was even better in Parks or city areas as we would sit and watch folks walk by still looking at two old people enjoy a relaxing camper with TV,

2) What do you like most about your B? All of the above and we seem to move along faster on the highways and back roads. I'm driving the same speed, just seems faster. Also, we have a batter system Li3, so 10-hours of downtime with no noise generator running as we sleep Quilty.

3) What do you like the least about your B? Wet BATH, can be fun as I'm 6' 2" tall and a little over 200 pounds. That can be a set back at times. But were in and out all the time and at 74, I can handle everything the VAN kicks in our direction. I would say more Likes than dislikes for sure.
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 01:05 PM   #12
Platinum Member

1 and 2: We picked our B based on quality and that's what we like best about it. Good components and excellent assembly. Open layout, plenty of storage, and true 4 season. Enough lithium for 4-5 days unplugged or 6-7 hours if we run the AC.
3: Biggest dislike is wet bath and small space for those rare bad weather days when we're stuck inside, but that's the tradeoff you make when choosing a class B. It's worth it for us because it's so nimble and we're normally outside all day. We're currently camped in our mother's short driveway in Florida. Our 22' van is the longest that will fit.

Edit: We camped last week with friends we travel with a few times a year. They have a 40' diesel pusher towing a jeep. This really limits the places we can stay and we end up in campgrounds that are glorified parking lots. My wife and I prefer state parks with lots of trees which are difficult for our friends to get in and out of. We noticed the same thing with my parents who full timed for 20 years. They started in a 30' class A and each time they traded up in size they had less options in campgrounds.
Punkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 04:17 PM   #13

2012 Winnebago ERA
Love the queen bed in the rear, stays set up no need to remake the bed configuration every night.
Purchased with 96,000 km and promptly drove across Canada from Vancouver to Newfoundland and back. Replaced the starter in Halifax due to poor installation from prior owner.
Been trouble free since.

Holds the road, 3500 MB chassis is great. Ease of parking, now tow a Jeep TJ behind with lots of power when needed.

Replaced the rather small fridge with a bigger unit, the only mod I had to make.
Tons of storage, cabinet quality is fantastic, no cabinet squeaks.
Overall really like the size and ease of driving.
Alfa2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 04:54 PM   #14
Platinum Member

1. Wanted a B for mileage, manuverability, durability, and had diesel Sprinter on top of list. Also planned to get used for cost (realizing still much more than a Class C).
2. Like most: low front end cost (used); tight interior space wise, but sufficient; great mileage, and torque for pulling TOAD. Handles well. Did not plan regarding DEF, but glad the one we bought does not require it.
3. Repairs/maintenance can be expensive.
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 05:09 PM   #15
Silver Member

Default likes and dislikes

Quote:
GO!
-We purchased this van becasue...we could .Rural New England just after pandemic Not much out there Quite accidentally looked on craig's list where I never go and it was nearby; low mileage well cared for Affordable
- what we like best is that we have it
Oh it could have more tall closet space and the table was odd Round too high up like a bar Took it out carry a folding tray table Had a third seat Took it out use area for storage The outside back made finding a bike rack hard Had to put on a hitch and get expensive one buteven with new tires and a few mo later new brakes oh and a window got stuck open it cost under maybe 18,000 It is an Xplorer dodge "97 looks exactly like roadtreks i drive by We love just having it
jeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 05:23 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
It would be interesting to know how many people that buy Class B's end up having buyer remorse. I bet it is a fairly high number.
I'll bet it's the vast majority. These are small vehicles and Americans don't like small. Bigger is always better, right? I'll bet most use it once or twice then get the nagging urge ".. if only I had MORE!".

But the secret they miss is learning to use and appreciate the smallness. Once in that mindset, one realizes they really are the ultimate get-away, road trip, camping machine.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 05:36 PM   #17

Quote:
GO!
Apologies in advance if you find this long winded, but with 8 years of varied travel experience in our Class B, I'm thinking at least something I have to offer may benefit you.

In 2016, we purchased a new Pleasure Way Lexor FL on the Dodge Promaster chassis. At the time, we researched and looked at many B's, including Roadtrek, Leisure Travel, Winnebago, etc. We also contemplated smaller trailers like TAB and Airstream Bambi. Our goal at purchase time was to take road trips as opposed to parking/camping for a week. Since that would include lots of freeways, cities, and an occasional Cracker Barrel parking lot, we decided a Class B would be best for us. While they were all beautiful rigs, each with their own style, this is why we chose the Lexor for us...

1) Because of the five-year warranties offered by (at the time) Roadtrek, and Pleasure Way, we had narrowed it down to these two companies. The others only offered one-year warranties and we felt that wasn't sufficient on a 100k +/- rig. After 8 years, it's a moot point, and I wouldn't let it sway me next time.
The day we bought our Lexor, we had just test driven a Roadtrek an hour earlier. As soon as we stepped inside the Pleasure Way, we knew it was the one. We could feel the difference. Je ne sais quois.

2)

a) It's nimble- We have taken multiple road trips from the Sierra Nevadas (where we live) to Florida, Nova Scotia, and everywhere in between. We were able to drive into Quebec City and stay at the RV parking area right downtown. We have taken it on the ferries in Washington State and BC. We are just under 21' and the rig is easy to navigate and park. At the same time, we also like to camp in the woods locally for a few nights and have never been unable to stay at any State or National Park because of length restrictions (often 25 or 30').

b) Convenience- On the road, it's so handy (and safer) to be able to pull into a rest stop and jump in back for a bathroom break or to make a sandwich without having to exit the vehicle.

c) Fuel economy- We average about 18 MPG. It can be a bit of a dog on the mountain passes but we just stay in right lane or pull over to let people pass if we need to.

3) There is give and take and we certainly have that...

a) Towing- The Dodge doesn't have the tow capability that the Mercedes has. We can't tow a car (nor did we want to in the first place). It's also not convenient to get to a destination and unpack, then re-pack to drive to see sights, (and possibly lose your camp spot). We solved this by towing our motorcycle. We bought a Kendon single fold up trailer that is perfect. It tows easily and folds down while in camp and, weather permitting, we can go anywhere. This is perfect for us.

b) Bed- We have a jackknife sofa that folds down, then you maneuver cushions around to make a nice big bed. This is all fine, but I'm not a bed maker and this becomes tedious. While at Disneyworld, we left the bed made because we were out and about 12 hours per day, but on a normal trip, we want to use the sofa and table and can't if it's set up as a bed. We have now simplified the routine to folding down the jackknife sofa, which gives us a twin bed on each side, and we use sleeping bags. Then, we make it a sofa again during daytime hours and stash the sleeping bags. It's a super easy solution and I haven't seen anything better out there in Class B's. I have heard the Murphy Beds aren't much better. Given the experience, I would just buy a model with twin beds if I were doing it again, allowing one to also enter/exit via back double doors.

c) Sliding Door- It would be nice to have a door in living area that just opens, similar to what Leisure Travel has on their B+ models. I feel the sliding door is so loud and somewhat bulky. Again, I have never seen any better options, other than on the cutouts, but that's not what we wanted.

All in all, no regrets. I still troll the new RV websites but have not seen anything that would make me trade up. We love our RV and the memories we have made with it. There will always be things you wish you had but you can work around most. Best wishes in your RV shopping and purchase.
CarolMerrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 07:39 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Default Floorplan Floorplan Floorplan

Quote:
GO!
We bought a Thor Tellaro 2020 20AT.

1) We have owned 2 Westfalia camper vans and wanted a similar experience. Pop top, big rear bed, ability to bring grandkids along.

2.) Love the ease of parking and the flexibility. Love all the storage under the bed. The kitchen is very functional. Love having app control of all the van functions.

3.) Don’t need the TV or microwave - may turn both of those areas into more storage. Interior finishes are soft so you have to be careful.

Below is something I wrote up when we were looking at floorplan options. We got most of what we wanted.

Warning: it’s long.
_________snip_________

Class B Camper Van Use Cases and features

There are a lot of tradeoffs and decisions you need to make before you commit to a floor plan for your Class B Van.
Here’s the thought process we went through to select our van.

Where will you camp?
We won’t be spending much time at full hookup RV parks. Mostly state and federal parks and dispersed camping. We will do some boondocking for a few days at a time. We’ll also use the van to travel between our homes in Colorado and Wisconsin, which is a two to three day trip.

How many people will be with you?
It’s just the two of us, with an occasional extra one or two people along for the adventure. While we’d like to sleep 4, we can bring a tent along for the extra people if we need to. One thing’s for sure – we’ll be in the van. ��

Class B Van Features:
Toilet - Definitely a must have for us. Since we’ll be mostly in places that don’t have dump stations, a cassette toilet seems to make sense as compared to a grey/black tank setup. We can dump the cassette in campground pit toilets, really anywhere there is a toilet. The family turd-herder should probably get the final say in this decision. You are a little closer to the action with a cassette. ��

Shower - We’ll need a shower, but will use the available shower facilities in state and national park campgrounds if available. We’ll want an indoor shower for when its cold out or there is no shower facility. An outside shower will be a nice adder if we can get it. We don’t want to give up much interior space for a shower. There is a tradeoff in these vans between the size and configuration of the bed and the size of the bathroom. We’ll be spending more time in bed than in the bath, so we’ll live with a smaller bath to get a bigger bed.

Kitchen - We like to cook outside so a minimal kitchen inside will be ok in case of inclement weather. We like to cook on a gas stove so induction is a non-starter for us. We need to be able to make coffee and toast in the morning without disturbing the neighbors. We’ll definitely need an outside propane connection for our grill and oven. A convection oven would be great. A Microwave less great but not a big deal if don’t have either.

Pop-Top - As an ex VW Westy owner, I like the idea of a pop-top because you can sleep two people up and two down, so perfect for a family of four. Maybe I’m emotionally connected to pop-tops and have a blind spot.

Bed(s) - We like the idea of having a large bed where we can hang out, read, and sleep. So floorplans that have two beds are out. We are not June and Ward Cleaver. Also out are floorplans where the bed blocks access to all or part of the kitchen or bath when it is fully made. Solo travelers will have a very different set of needs.

Awning – we camp in the desert so this is a must for us.

Generator – we have found the under-chassis generators to be noisy. They are restricted outright in some places, and may have restricted operating hours in others. We would like to do without a generator if at all possible. Just more stuff to maintain.

A/C – We will be camping mostly in the mountains and above the 45th parallel. But these vans do retain heat from the day so I can see A/C being desirable. It may be difficult to sell a van without AC.

Overall Floorplan – I’m an early riser, Kelly likes to sleep in. So we need a van with a floorplan that allows the bed area to be curtained off to keep out light and some noise from me making coffee, reading the paper, etc. It’s also important for all the kitchen cabinets and bath to be accessible.

Those are the things we considered when selecting our van.
Your journey will be different, but hopefully this will help you decide what’s right for you.
W9TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 08:45 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
1) Underhood generator, no propane, solar panels, bathroom door that didn't block the aisle, large windows all round, fuel mileage(diesel).

2) We can just stop to camp anywhere and everything is usable even without getting out of the vehicle. We just need a place level enough that we don't fall out of bed.

3) (a) Low clearance keeps us off really rough roads.(b) High roof with solar panels and AC on top make it impossible to carry our kayaks with us. Trailer hitch bike rack blocked the back doors requiring removing bikes for access to under seat storage. We fixed that one with an (expensive) bike rack that attaches to one door. (c) cost and difficulty of getting repairs, in particular on the heater.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 01:25 PM   #20
Silver Member

Quote:
GO!
2004 Roadtrek 170

1) We knew what we wanted and it had blue details. We had a travel trailer that we always thought was laid out like a B except we had to drag it around. We wanted to be able to travel with nimbleness.
2) Nimbleness - and openness and it has everything we need. We've done walkthroughs with camping neighbors and we found a lot of other class Bs were very closed in feeling.
3) Not enough room to bring our 2 cats so we take shorter trips.
pasusan is offline   Reply With Quote